• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Recruiting Big Board (Offense)

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We always talk about how recruiting has it's seasons but really staffs recruit 2 and sometimes 3 classes at a time, in fact, we have personnel scouts right now working on 2019 lists... yeah, you read that right. Anyway, the 2017 class is already under way with 2016 signing day just a week away.

Currently it looks like the 2017 class will be anywhere between 20-25 players... probably the 22-24 range. WR, QB, OL and DL are big needs for this class as is CB.

Quarterback

Tristan Gebbia (4-Star) [Calabasas, CA] - Gebbia was among the first QBs that Nebraska offered for the 2017 class. He's the quarterback of the same team that Marquel Dismuke (2016 commit) is from as well as 2017 prospects Darnay Holmes and Keyshawn Johnson Jr. He is planning on a visit to Nebraska in the spring, Nebraska will likely push him to commit on that visit.

Dylan McCaffery (4-Star) [Highlands Ranch, CO] - McCaffery is one of the best QBs in the nation and former teammate of current Husker Eric Lee. He's also the brother to Heisman runner up Christian McCaffery. Stanford and Michigan are the teams to beat right now and he is lower on Nebraska's board than Gebbia at the moment.

Names to note: Jack Coan (4-Star), Shon Mitchell (3-Star)

Wide Receiver

Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (4-Star) [Calabsas, CA] - Mike Riley coached Keyshawn's dad when he was at USC and because of that relationship there was immediate interest for both parties. It doesn't hurt that Keyshawn Jr. is pretty talented at the WR position himself. Johnson has said he wants to decide after 2016 signing day and that Lincoln is like his second home. He plans to visit with Gebbia in the spring and Nebraska will likely push both he and Gebbia for commitments.

Jaevon McQuitty (3-Star) [Columbia, MO] - McQuitty has long been on Nebraska's radar and the 6'3" 190 pound WR likes the Huskers too. McQuitty is looking to come to Nebraska's Jr. day in the spring and has the Huskers high on his list. A Missouri offer might complicate things, but Nebraska has been in on him from the start.

Jeff Thomas (5-Star) [East Saint Louis, IL] - Thomas might be a bit of a pipe dream as Bama seems high on his list but Nebraska wants to make a push. If they can every get him to visit then we can start hoping.

Names to note:

Tight End

Jake Marwede (3-Star) [Wilmette, IL] - The 6'5" 235lb TE seems to be a Northwestern lean at the moment but Nebraska likes his size and ability. His recruitment blew up a bit after his Junior film was released and will only get him more offers. Northwestern may be the leader for now but Nebraska and others will not go quietly.

Alexander Marshall (3-Star) [Andover, MA] - The 6'7" 230 lb TE recently garnered a Nebraska offer and seemed pretty excited about it. Nebraska is by far his biggest offer at the moment but with his size and frame more offers are sure to come.

Offensive Line

Foster Sarell (5-Star OT) [Graham, WA] - Nebraska's Mike Cavanaugh has long been recruiting the 5-Star OT and has made it a point to visit the elite prospects school on occasion this past year. Sarell will have no shortage of suitors and pulling him off the West Coast will be difficult but Nebraska will be more than willing to give it a try.

Austin Deculus (4-Star OT) [Cypress, TX] - Nebraska recently offered Deculus but might be a bit late to the party as LSU has made significant headway with him. However, the lack of support for Les Miles could weigh on his decision. Nebraska will try hard to secure a visit here.

Joel Honigford (3-Star OT) [Sugarcreek, OH] - Another recent offer, Nebraska intrigues the young man. He will be a tough pull from OSU but Nebraska will at least test interest early.

Obviously a lot of this will look a lot different in the future, the names to really note for now are Gebbio, Johnson and McQuitty as those are the players Nebraska sits best with at the moment. More offers will pour out in the spring eval period and the board will shift a lot.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see this '17 class being top 5 if things shape up he right way.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnay Holmes said in a tweet a while back "time to go back to my second home in Nebraska" and then he was recently asked in an interview what his major factor for what he looks for in a school is, and he responded "A place that feels like home"

Gebbia probably follows if Jr and Holmes are N

Just reading the tea leaves at this point.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Brasky I think you're right that we get all of them. I don't think that's gonna be enough to get us to the top 5...even with the momentum it would gain us.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just keep thinking about hearing "touchdown Keyshawn Johnson" in a Nebraska game and everyone who didn't know going "wait, what the fuck?"

So much media coverage if he pans out. Then again, Barry Sanders Jr. at Stanford hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. Yet.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just keep thinking about hearing "touchdown Keyshawn Johnson" in a Nebraska game and everyone who didn't know going "wait, what the fuck?"

So much media coverage if he pans out. Then again, Barry Sanders Jr. at Stanford hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. Yet.

He'll be better

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Barry has Rex Burkhead on steroids in front of him.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safe bet is Keyshawn to Nebraska... Nebraska will have to fight Ole Miss for Gebbia (both his parents went to college there) but the stuff coming out right now about their rules violations should play in our favor. We COULD have a Top 10 class if multiple things break our way. Cav is working hard on 5-star OT Foster Sarell and if we somehow land him that would be 2 5-stars with Darnay in the fold... considering we are the favorites for a few high 4-star recruits currently too (Keyshawn, Avery Roberts, Gebbia and Colbert) and you're looking at a great class.

However, that is BEST case scenario right now and as we know, in the recruiting world, at least for Nebraska, that's rarely been the case.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to poo poo on this, but IMO there are better places for KJjr to play other than Lincoln. NU is not really known as WR U, so I'm kinda wondering why Huskers are so high on his list. I'll just sit back and wait to see if this happens, think it is 50/50. If he does sign, great, but really think he goes elsewhere.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to poo poo on this, but IMO there are better places for KJjr to play other than Lincoln. NU is not really known as WR U, so I'm kinda wondering why Huskers are so high on his list. I'll just sit back and wait to see if this happens, think it is 50/50. If he does sign, great, but really think he goes elsewhere.

Huskers are so high on his list because Mike Riley coached his dad at USC and his dad LOVES Riley and Langsdorf and is not a huge fan of the current USC staff. Plus, USC has basically said there are other receivers higher on their board than Johnson.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers are so high on his list because Mike Riley coached his dad at USC and his dad LOVES Riley and Langsdorf and is not a huge fan of the current USC staff. Plus, USC has basically said there are other receivers higher on their board than Johnson.

Yea, I saw that connection to Dad and Riley. Hope it is enough. But I'm still thinking he my sign elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, would love to have his talent and recruit draw on board, but still skeptical. I guess I'm a "glass is half empty" on program lately.

Time to fill it up, hopefully????