• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Salary Cap

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this is really saying is that if the Patriots stayed exactly as they are, the cap would be exceeded. Already they have made cuts. but those cuts cannot become official until the free agent signing period opens. When FA open, the Patriots will immediately be $5M+ under the cap. The new cap number has not been announced and some expect it to be as high $159M.

Once BB decides how he wants to go in free agency, he'll commit a certain amount to sign the players he'd like. If they want more, he'll go to player "B", then to Player "C". If that doesn't work, he'll look for a player to draft in rounds 5,6,7. He will not overspend......................see Darrell Revis.

He'll also try to sign anyone on this team that he thinks will help win. If he can't he moves on.

Come Week 1, he'll be $5M under the cap just in case of injury.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this is really saying is that if the Patriots stayed exactly as they are, the cap would be exceeded. Already they have made cuts. but those cuts cannot become official until the free agent signing period opens. When FA open, the Patriots will immediately be $5M+ under the cap. The new cap number has not been announced and some expect it to be as high $159M.

Once BB decides how he wants to go in free agency, he'll commit a certain amount to sign the players he'd like. If they want more, he'll go to player "B", then to Player "C". If that doesn't work, he'll look for a player to draft in rounds 5,6,7. He will not overspend......................see Darrell Revis.

He'll also try to sign anyone on this team that he thinks will help win. If he can't he moves on.

Come Week 1, he'll be $5M under the cap just in case of injury.

Actually BigKen once a player is cut they can be signed by any team. Teams don't have to wait for FA if I remember right. Also Overthecap tries to stay as up to date as possible. Such as they already have Jahri Evans off of the Saints salary cap who was cut last Monday. They have the other players they cut as well already up. So instead of being $8 million over the cap like they were a week ago they are now only $2 million over the cap.

Now Redseat this might be a better page to look at...

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

This gives the estimated cap space of every team in the league. Now remember these numbers are based on the cap only going up to $150 million. Most from what I have read think it will be closer to $154-155 million. So right now the Patriots have less than $1 million but if it does go up like they think they will be closer to $5 million.

Now unfortunately for the Patriots they don't have a ton of guys they can cut and get major Cap Help. Mayo is the best bet but he is still a $4.4 million dead money hit. Amendola looks like another decent option but again big dead money hit compared to the savings. The Patriots have done a great job of keeping the top Cap Hits down but the negative of that usually means more money wrapped up in guarantees and is why they don't have big cap savings unless you want to cut Chandler Jones or Donta Hightower. My guess is the Patriots really don't want to cut those 2 guys. The Patriots can get some wiggle room but I wouldn't look for them to be big spenders in FA this year. My guess is most of that money they do save by making cuts goes to a couple of low cost FA's and then possibly getting some extensions done so that next year doesn't look so daunting with Sheard, Vollmer, Ninkovich, Jones, Hightower, Collins, Ryan, and Butler all needing new contracts.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you @cdumler7. I still suck at looking at charts like this to see the cap... but that one makes it better

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By looking at that chart the Bills have NO Cap, correct?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3