• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2016 All-Star game and break

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we considering Scheppers to be a "top pitcher?"
I am not going to assume he will be, but I will withhold judgment until he has a chance to prove himself. He was bad for a good while, but he was also very good before the injuries and the starting experiment. I wouldn't be shocked if he still had something left, but I am not counting on it.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we make a trade and we give up some of our top prospects, I tell that team you have to take Prince and his contract as part of the deal. Like we did with the Phils when Matt Harrison in the Hammels trade.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we make a trade and we give up some of our top prospects, I tell that team you have to take Prince and his contract as part of the deal. Like we did with the Phils when Matt Harrison in the Hammels trade.

Forcing a team to take Prince's contract only increases the number of prospects we would have to give up, that's just throwing good money (prospects) at bad money (Prince)

Prince is going no where

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't want the FO blowing a chance to greatly improve the team for the postseason run over some Prince Fielder bullshit.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wouldn't surprise me to see some type of inclusion like this at all. Could be a Choo contract, although for me personally, I don't want to see this. But there'll be a lot of money, both short & long term to be considered by all parties.

I don't want the FO blowing a chance to greatly improve the team for the postseason run over some Prince Fielder bullshit.

I have more faith in JD than this. Don't you?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me to see some type of inclusion like this at all. Could be a Choo contract, although for me personally, I don't want to see this. But there'll be a lot of money, both short & long term to be considered by all parties.

I have more faith in JD than this. Don't you?
The thing with Choo is he has value if he can stay healthy. I believe he will help this team just like he did last year and as he has started to do lately. I know his defense is adequate at best but I like what he brings to the plate. If he went to a contender he could end up kicking out butts.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now we are having to tread water like we did last year until we got our pitchers who were on the DL back. Question is when do we get them back? And in Holland he will not be back to what he once was but if he could be a good BOTR pitcher then good. Not sure what is going on with AJ after 4 innings. He looks good until then.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Choo is he has value if he can stay healthy. I believe he will help this team just like he did last year and as he has started to do lately. I know his defense is adequate at best but I like what he brings to the plate. If he went to a contender he could end up kicking out butts.
I think it comes down to this. We can either trade Choo within the next few months and actually get something for him or we can wait a year or two and have him not be much more valuable than Prince and get nothing for him. I really don't want us to have a year where we have to waste a valuable roster spot on Choo like we are doing this year for Prince.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it comes down to this. We can either trade Choo within the next few months and actually get something for him or we can wait a year or two and have him not be much more valuable than Prince and get nothing for him. I really don't want us to have a year where we have to waste a valuable roster spot on Choo like we are doing this year for Prince.

I don't know where I like your post as much as I think you've hit on something quite important. Good pickup!

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you Darryl for making this thread. I'm sure it will be very therapeutic. :) LOL.
You bet. Thought it was you Phantom who asked for it. Happy to a oblige after that fiasco series. Don't think we here anything trade worthy till the actual deadline. Who knows.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those deals which may involve more than two teams, and we're on the receiving end of a starter, at least 1 BP arm, maybe 2, and several key minor leaguers.

More of a feeling than a thought really though. There just seems to be a lot of teams needing/willing to work with out there this season.

What dashes those old fashioned deals is the second WC. The Yankees are about 5 games out of the second WC. Do you think they sell if they hover at that level? Same for a few other teams.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Duane for having us all over to watch the ASG. Very nice of you to furnish the BBQ and beer. We can play "float the keg"

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where I like your post as much as I think you've hit on something quite important. Good pickup!
Thanks. I just don't want to go through another year in the not too distant future where we are stuck with an automatic out because the manager will not bench him. Although, at least with Choo he gets hurt frequently enough that you could possibly hide him on the DL for a sizable chunk of the season. Prince almost never gets hurt so that really isn't an option with him. You would still have his salary clogging things up money-wise though. I would rather trade a guy a little early than a little late.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brinson eventually would get 4 hits today including the HR that I mentioned earlier.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I just don't want to go through another year in the not too distant future where we are stuck with an automatic out because the manager will not bench him. Although, at least with Choo he gets hurt frequently enough that you could possibly hide him on the DL for a sizable chunk of the season. Prince almost never gets hurt so that really isn't an option with him. You would still have his salary clogging things up money-wise though. I would rather trade a guy a little early than a little late.
I see nothing wrong with that

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers rumors: Milwaukee Brewers scouting Rangers, per Ken Rosenthal

It seems more likely that the Brewers and Rangers would match up on a potential pitching trade...Tyler Thornburg, for example, is a small righthanded reliever who throws in the low-90s and brings to mind (to me, anyway) Jason Frasor. Thornburg has upped his K rate significantly this year, and has a 2.57 ERA and a 3.40 FIP. The 27 year old seems like the type of bullpen depth the Rangers would potentially target as a useful piece, controllable beyond this year (he isn't free agent eligible until after 2019) and not the type of reliever who is going to command a huge prospect price. Thornburg could help fortify the middle relief spot that has, outside of Tony Barnette, been so problematic for the Rangers this year.

One other name that I'm simply pulling out of thin air, that I have no idea if the Rangers have any interest in, but which is a name that jumps out at me in looking at the Brewers pitching staff: Junior Guerra. Guerra is a 31 year old righthander from Venezuela who, other than 4 innings for the ChiSox last season, had no major league experience before May, 2016. However, the Brewers called him up from the minors on May 3, and he's had success, putting up a 3.06 ERA and a 3.87 FIP in 82.1 IP, with 72 Ks against just 26 walks. Fangraphs has his fastball averaging 93 mph, and says he has a split finger and a slider to go with it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fielder wouldn't have brought back anything last year in a trade even when he was good, Choo's in the same boat, the combination of poor health, toxic contracts and non-performance make them both useless as trade bait IMO

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point it may be better to eat the contract rather the eat most in a trade. Back ends of huge contracts rarely are good. We did well with Beltre first contract. To get Desmond nome money is going to have to be created.

Re :Choo. Tough decision as we are not in rebuilding mode and other then Profar no one is currently blocked although they may change by next year. Trades and injuries always a factor