• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2016 All-Star game and break

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but "Fielder in the lineup" is pretty fucking far from the biggest problem right now. The Rangers have gone 3-7 this month and given up double digit runs in half of those games. They just got outscored by the damn TWINS 38-18 in 4 games. At home. I'm not even going to bother looking up what Prince did in the series, because I know he didn't pitch; therefore, he's not the issue right now.

I miss the days where he was the only thing wrong.

I didnt expect a lot from the pitching when we have to start guys like Lohse. My point being that we didn't have a whole lot of choice in starting Chi Chi, Nick, and Kyle, but we do have choices other than Fielder and they should be using them. They won't however as long as he is on the roster it appears. Lohse is no longer a ML SP option for anyone and Fielder is really not a ML DH anymore either. It matters not, it doesn't appear it will change this year anyway

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff odds, biggest risers and fallers for all 30 MLB teams at All Star break
The Orioles and Rangers are the biggest risers, according to SportsLine

1. Texas Rangers: 54-36
Opening Day odds: 7.9%
July 11 odds: 90.9%
Change: +83.0%

The biggest riser in the eyes of SportsLine -- by a mile at that -- are the Rangers, who the system expected to finish under .500 coming into the season. Instead, the Rangers have the best record in the AL and a 5 1/2 game AL West lead. They've done that while getting little from the first base and DH positions -- Mitch Moreland and Prince Fielder have an 83 OPS+ and a 67 OPS+, respectively -- and only three starts from Yu Darvish. Good health and bullpen help is the priority here going into the second half.

25. Houston Astros: 48-41
Opening Day odds: 62.0%
July 11 odds: 33.5%
Change: -28.5%

What an up-and-down season for the Astros. Actually, I should say down-and-up. They started the season 17-28, but have gone 31-13 since to climb back into the thick of the postseason race. SportsLine was high on the Astros coming into the season and that slow start did happen. Those early losses count in the standings, which is why their postseason odds have dropped so much despite their recent hot streak.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like an excuse for a DL stint, or just an excuse

July 10, 2016 1:20 pm
Rangers' Kyle Lohse: Bothered by oblique tightness
by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

Lohse has been diagnosed with tightness in his right oblique, Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Lohse noticed the issue early in Saturday's start against the Twins, but he continued to pitch because he knew the Texas bullpen needed some rest. He ultimately gave up six runs over six innings after struggling at Triple-A Round Rock (5.06 ERA) for the first few months of the season. Even if the injury heals quickly, there's no assurance that Lohse sticks in the starting rotation after the All-Star break.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' A.J. Griffin: Suffers first loss Sunday versus Twins
Griffin (3-1) gave up six earned runs on nine hits and a walk over five innings in Sunday's 15-5 loss to the Twins. He struck out three.

The 28-year-old right-hander got through the first three frames unscathed before Kennys Vargas blasted a solo homer in the fourth . A Joe Mauer single that plated Kurt Suzuki made it 2-0 in favor of the Twins in the fifth, and then Max Kepler made Griffin for loading the bases by launching a 393-foot shot to right center later in the inning with two out to bring home Eduardo Escobar, Mauer and Vargas. After winning three of his first four decisions in 2016, Griffin had five straight no-decisions until Sunday's loss, and the six earned runs he gave up against the Twins served as the most he'd allowed in any start. He's also given up a homer in four straight trips to the mound, and hasn't made it past the fifth inning since May 2 versus the Blue Jays. Griffin will look to right the ship following the All-Star break.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Jurickson Profar: Blasts fourth homer in Sunday defeat
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
Profar went 2-for-3 with a solo homer, walk and run in Sunday's 15-5 loss to the Twins.

The 23-year-old was one of the few bright spots on offense during an afternoon in which it appeared as if the Twins and Rangers had switched uniforms. While Minnesota was mashing Texas pitching to the tune of 15 runs on 18 hits, Profar produced his team's only multi-hit effort of the day. The homer came in the ninth off reliever Neil Ramirez, and was his first since June 21 against the Reds. Profar has hit safely in six of 10 July games, and is slashing .323/.363/.465 over 127 at-bats this season.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relief Market Rumors: Nationals, Giants, Rangers, Jeffress, Smith, Cubs, Nathan

By Mark Polishuk | July 10, 2016 at 8:09pm CDT

Here’s a roundup of some bullpen-related rumors about teams who may be looking to add, subtract or stand pat in regards to their relief corps…

• The Nationals, Giants and Rangers are the three teams “poised to be most aggressive in pursuit of late-inning relief help” in the opinion of rival evaluators, ESPN’s Buster Olney writes (subscription required). The latter two clubs aren’t a surprise given how injuries and ineffectiveness have hampered both the San Francisco and Texas bullpens, but the Nats entered today with the fourth-lowest bullpen ERA (3.15) of any club in baseball. Despite good results overall, closer Jonathan Papelbon has outperformed his peripheral stats and seen a velocity drop, so Washington could be looking to make a midseason closer addition for the second straight year. All three teams have been linked to Aroldis Chapman and Andrew Miller if and when the Yankees make their star relievers available.
  • Brewers relievers Jeremy Jeffress and Will Smith are getting a lot of attention from scouts, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports (Twitter link). Jeffress was recently ranked by MLBTR’s Jeff Todd as one of the top 20 trade candidates leading up to the deadline, as the righty has performed quite well as Milwaukee’s closer. It was an injury to Smith that opened the door for Jeffress to take over the ninth-inning role, and Smith has pitched well himself in 17 innings since returning from the DL.
  • The Cubs have been heavily connected to bullpen trade rumors, though they could potentially receive help from within if veteran Joe Nathan is able to regain any of his old form, CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney writes. Nathan signed a minor league deal with the Cubs in May as the 41-year-old looks to return from the second Tommy John surgery of his career. Mooney and Cubs skipper Joe Maddon both provide some detail on Nathan’s promising appearances over six games for Chicago’s Double-A affiliate. Nathan struggled in 2014 and missed virtually all of 2015, of course, so you would think the Cubs would look for a more solid relief option even if Nathan does look good.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This I just saw from Ken Rosenthal.

Maybe it will turn out to be nothing -- most leads at this time of year are. But a scout I know was astonished to walk into Surprise Stadium in Arizona the other day and count 17 other scouts in attendance. That's right, 18 scouts for a Class A Rookie League Game.

The scout reasoned that younger players are drawing more attention in trade discussions because so many teams are reluctant to part with prospects who are closer to the majors. He surmised that the home team, the Rangers, was involved in multiple trade discussions. And he noted that the Brewers had multiple scouts watching the Texas youngsters -- an indication, perhaps, that the Rangers are plotting to acquire Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy.

Again, one plus one at this time of year does not necessarily add up to two; too many variables are in play. Obviously, the Rangers' biggest need is pitching, starting and relief. But teams, increasingly frustrated with the lack of starting pitching available in trade, might seek other ways to outscore opponents.

I referenced that concept in my Full Count video Saturday, talking about the Blue Jays' possible interest in Reds outfielder Jay Bruce. The Rangers' pursuit of Lucroy, if it is indeed a pursuit, would fit the same mold. The four catchers used by the Rangers this season have combined for the 12th best OPS in the majors. Lucroy, though, clearly would represent an upgrade.
The Brewers, meanwhile, repeatedly have traded for 20-and-under prospects under David Stearns, who became GM last September. Stearns acquired infielder Javier Betancourt, 20, for closer Francisco Rodriguez; three teenage right-handers for first baseman Adam Lind and infielder Isan Diaz, 19, as part of the package for Jean Segura.

Outfielder Leody Taveras, 17, and shortstop Anderson Tejada, 18, are two of the Rangers' prospects drawing attention in the Arizona League. The Brewers, seeking a high price for Lucroy, probably would want one of the Rangers' top prospects, a Jurickson Profar, a Joey Gallo. But a youngster such as Taveras or Tejada could end up as part of a deal.

Again, I'm just musing -- I cannot say for certain that the Rangers and Brewers are in talks. But 17 scouts at an Arizona Rookie League is unusual. The lack of quality starting pitching in the trade market is unusual. Some funky things might happen between now and Aug. 1.

Rosenthal's obsession with Lucroy like he is even an upgrade that matters. He's nuts to think we would trade for a catcher and give up Profar or Gallo AND those lower minor league talent. The scouts were there because the Rangers are interested in the Brewers pen. These are the two who will probably get more looks in the coming days:

Jeremy Jeffress » Statistics » Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball

Will Smith » Statistics » Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like an excuse for a DL stint, or just an excuse

July 10, 2016 1:20 pm
Rangers' Kyle Lohse: Bothered by oblique tightness

Lohse has been diagnosed with tightness in his right oblique, Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Lohse noticed the issue early in Saturday's start against the Twins, but he continued to pitch because he knew the Texas bullpen needed some rest. He ultimately gave up six runs over six innings after struggling at Triple-A Round Rock (5.06 ERA) for the first few months of the season. Even if the injury heals quickly, there's no assurance that Lohse sticks in the starting rotation after the All-Star break.

No there was a moment where there was something legit wrong with him and they made him throw a couple pitches but ultimately left him in bc they legit needed to give bullpen a couple extra innings

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No there was a moment where there was something legit wrong with him and they made him throw a couple pitches but ultimately left him in bc they legit needed to give bullpen a couple extra innings

I see, I didnt watch most of it

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another HR for Brinson today. Maybe he will have a massive second half with a trip up here in September.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why I've got this suspicion, but I do. And that is, JD is getting ready to pull a blockbuster trade off. One of those WOW kind of trades which some will love and some will hate. One of those 4 players going and 5 players coming back kind of trades.

We'll see I guess.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why I've got this suspicion, but I do. And that is, JD is getting ready to pull a blockbuster trade off. One of those WOW kind of trades which some will love and some will hate. One of those 4 players going and 5 players coming back kind of trades.

We'll see I guess.

So you're thinking a SP, RP, and some bench help?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest question for all 30 MLB teams heading into the second half
Will the Yankees sell? When will Clayton Kershaw return? How much longer can will the Twins keep their front office intact?

Rangers: 54-36

Will the return of their injured pitchers be enough? The Rangers own the best record in the AL even though they're without several top pitchers: Yu Darvish (shoulder), Derek Holland (shoulder), Colby Lewis (lat), Keone Kela (elbow), and Tanner Scheppers (knee). Darvish and Kela are on minor league rehab assignments right now and should return early in the second half. The other three are a little further away. Undoubtedly getting those five back will help, but will they be enough? GM Jon Daniels may need to go out and get some pitching help anyway.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're thinking a SP, RP, and some bench help?

One of those deals which may involve more than two teams, and we're on the receiving end of a starter, at least 1 BP arm, maybe 2, and several key minor leaguers.

More of a feeling than a thought really though. There just seems to be a lot of teams needing/willing to work with out there this season.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers: 54-36
Will the return of their injured pitchers be enough? The Rangers own the best record in the AL even though they're without several top pitchers: Yu Darvish (shoulder), Derek Holland (shoulder), Colby Lewis (lat), Keone Kela (elbow), and Tanner Scheppers (knee). Darvish and Kela are on minor league rehab assignments right now and should return early in the second half. The other three are a little further away. Undoubtedly getting those five back will help, but will they be enough? GM Jon Daniels may need to go out and get some pitching help anyway.

Are we considering Scheppers to be a "top pitcher?"

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see I guess.

Honestly, I could see something like *Doolittle & Gray for a package of Rangers prospects.

*assuming he comes back from injury.