• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-2017 Emmys / 69th Primetime Emmy Awards

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know the rules/deadlines for this shit? Basically I'm trying to understand how "Atlanta" can run one season from September-November 2016 and get nominated twice for it.

Also "The Night Of..." was nominated this year rather than last year, even though it finished before "Atlanta" even started!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, you are correct my friend, thank you. I knew it had won something major last year, thought it was the Emmy for some reason.
A major award??

large-45-picture.jpg

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two huge fuck ups that popped out immediately to me:

1) No Aubry Plaza for her role in Legion. She was fantastic in that

2) They chose Johnathan Banks over Michael McKean in Better Call Saul. That is 100% proof that Emmy committee doesn't watch the shows. Banks is great as Mike but McKean was exceptional as Chuck this season. He was the standout role for the whole show this season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2) They chose Johnathan Banks over Michael McKean in Better Call Saul. That is 100% proof that Emmy committee doesn't watch the shows. Banks is great as Mike but McKean was exceptional as Chuck this season. He was the standout role for the whole show this season.
I love Mike, but he was hardly in this past season. This past season certainly belonged to Chuck.

And I second Plaza. She was amazing, and for me at least, put herself on the map as a real actress.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love Mike, but he was hardly in this past season. This past season certainly belonged to Chuck.

And I second Plaza. She was amazing, and for me at least, put herself on the map as a real actress.

Totally agree on Michael McKean. He was a huge part of the reason BCS S3 got 5/5 stars for me. Hell, for that 7 minute sequence (that felt like 2 minutes) where he tears apart his house in the season finale alone should have gotten him nominated.

It's all about the name and getting the show recognition. It's almost like Gilligan and Gould told them who to nominate. Banks was huge in BB and still a significant part of BCS, and will continue to be a significant part in the show's future. McKean won't.

Then again, we're talking about the same award show that nominated Ben Mendelsohn for S2 of Bloodline (3.5/5 stars), when he had ~20 fucking minutes of screen time. I get that they were trying to make up for not nominating him in S1 (4.5/5 stars), but what the fuck.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'm still only on the third episode of S3 of The Leftovers, so I'm not really qualified to say who is and isn't deserving, but the show got a fucking 98 on Metacritic from critics and a 9.4 from the audience. No fucking nominations for anyone???

I mean shit, the only two higher rated dramas from critics on that website are, IIRC, Breaking Bad S5 (5/5 stars from me) and Rectify S4, both at 99.

EDIT: Oh, shit- it looks like Ann Dowd got nominated for "Guess Actress in a Drama Series" for her appearance in one episode. Well, fuck me. I haven't seen the episode yet, but that's cool.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like The Night Of (3.5/5 stars) is very well represented. I saw Turturro, Michael K. Williams, and Riz Ahmed all got nominated. Nice. I hope Turturro especially wins, but all are very deserving.

It appears they're playing it safe with Spacey and HOC S5. I haven't seen it, but it got mixed reviews, and, again he is nominated.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, Michael McKean was certainly a standout in season 3...I know that only specific episodes are submitted for Emmy consideration (so the entire season isn't really judged), so my guess is that AMC might've submitted an episode where Chuck wasn't a big part.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought Plaza was good as well. She has been doing some really great work lately and she will definitely get what is due to her. I feel like she is going to be around for a long time.

Parks and Rec really launched some really great careers.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Michael McKean was certainly a standout in season 3...I know that only specific episodes are submitted for Emmy consideration (so the entire season isn't really judged), so my guess is that AMC might've submitted an episode where Chuck wasn't a big part.
Wait, what if (and I assume it would happen), the "consideraters" have seen the entire season/series of a show? Do they still base it off the few episodes selected? That's stupid as fuck.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what if (and I assume it would happen), the "consideraters" have seen the entire season/series of a show? Do they still base it off the few episodes selected? That's stupid as fuck.

Good question, and I'm not sure what the full criteria is..

The Simpsons for example was nominated for Best Animated Program, but it was a specific episode (where they vacationed in Boston) that earned the nomination....

'The Simpsons' episode lampooning Boston nominated for 2017 Emmy Award

I couldn't find which Saul episodes were nominated, but that would by my guess why McKean didn't get a nod.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least Game of Thrones isn't raping the nominations. We all know that show went to shit in S1. When Tyrion was arrested by Catelyn, the show should have gone the way of "The Night Of." Have Tyrion join the Bloods and start smoking milk of the poppy, maybe bring in Michael Douglas as the lawyer, and have a bad-ass court scene that lasts the last 5 episodes with Bob Odenkirk prosecuting. The show really should have been a one-season limited series.

But no, Tyrion is released and the show settles for some bullshit medieval sword and knight drama. WTF. Fucking Stephen King; maybe if you didn't have your head so far shoved up your ass, Stanley Kubrick could actually direct a decent series!!!

No, I am not being serious, @chf

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not done complaining. Where's the fucking soundtrack? The first appearance of Littlefinger, a naturally bad ass character, they should have been playing "Killer Queen" to set the mood. The scene with Tyrion fucking his whore? "Big Poppa" by Notorious B.I.G. And for fuck's sake, Daneryes giving birth to the dragons was so viscerally tear-jerking, it was basically begging for "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch."

And don't even get me started about the lack of product placement. In "The Wire," Omar smoked Newports, informing me to start buying them. I've never actually used a Bunsen Burner, but were I to? Well, Eisco Laboratory was the best for Walter White, so it must be the best for me.

What these fancy TV executives and producers don't realize is that their product placement shapes an entire generation's decisions. I had absolutely no clue what hair style I wanted until I saw "Boardwalk Empire" and Jimmy Darmedy's flowing golden locks. Without television and film, people would be lost. We'd all be at home, reading boring books, drinking RC Cola or some other lackluster brand because we haven't been instructed on what to drink and do.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about the McKean snub. He was fantastic this season. His final meltdown was almost painful to watch but mesmerizing.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actors submit their episode for consideration and that's what they are judged off I believe.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question, and I'm not sure what the full criteria is..

The Simpsons for example was nominated for Best Animated Program, but it was a specific episode (where they vacationed in Boston) that earned the nomination....

'The Simpsons' episode lampooning Boston nominated for 2017 Emmy Award

I couldn't find which Saul episodes were nominated, but that would by my guess why McKean didn't get a nod.

I believe that for each nominee/award a separate episode can be submitted, no? If so then they could have sent in any episode for McKean that they wanted to.