• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Season Recap

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 up and 8 down for Quinn's 1st season.

Obviously based on the 5-0 start, this 8-8 is more bitter than sweet. The reality is, Quinn couldn't fix everything in one season...he got about what he should have out of this talent base... a .500 record.

I hate to say this, but once it turned south I was quietly hoping they wouldn't win yesterday because Blank might be inclined to keep the FO intact.

In spite of the loss to the Saints, I don't have good news...nothing official yet, but the early whispers out of Falcons camp is Dimitroff stays.

For the sake of continuity I guess Shanny will also keep the OC job, but I don't like either of those moves.

What could happen is a combo deal...Josh McDaniels/Scott Pioli going to fill one of these openings as a HC/GM. I'd like to see how Blank would respond to that situation because apparently Thomas is not picking players anymore....trades, FA contracts and cap management are supposed to be his role.

OFC...Started great then fizzled late...that trend has been following Shanahan of late. I heard something was said early in the season by Roddy that may have gotten under the skin of Shanny. Whether there is any truth to that Idk, but the OFC was targeting everybody but Roddy until they had no choice but to include him in the game plan.

WR2/3 and TE...if Shanny stays, I don't expect Roddy to be back. Either way they need to re-group at WR2 and possibly WR3. Justin Hardy I'm told they like a lot as a 3rd/4th WR...Tamme is solid, but probably out of his element as a featured playmaker.

RB...Freeman & Coleman...are better than anyone expected coming out of camp...I can see them looking at a bigger short yardage RB, but that's it.

OL...LG, C, RG are all open for competition...I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 new starters again...they seem to like Schraeder (RT) more as the season went along, but Jake Long will be around to push him for the starting job I assume.

QB...Matt Ryan...safe to say this was not a good year for Ryan...in a nutshell...Comp %, yardage look pretty good, but TD to INT ratio was way too high. idk if it was Shanny's OFC or Matt just trying too hard to make plays...that said...Matt Ryan is the '16 starting QB and he should be.

DEF...the most consistent group all season and the biggest improvement from last year.

DT/DE/Pass rusher...clearly the biggest need on the team. Vic Beasley showed some promise as a 1st yr player with 4 sacks to lead the DEF...on this DL it will be tough for him to be a dbl digit sack player with not much help on the other side. Clayborne...looks alike a stop gap player. If Mario Williams is willing to take a pay cut, he looks like a good FA DE prospect that will likely be available. The DTs actually played well vs the run, but offer little to nothing in collapsing the pocket from the inside.

LBs...biggest improvement on the DEF was LB play in run support, but they are average at best in coverage...TEs continue to so major damage to the Falcons.

CB/SS/FS...we're going to find out something about Jalen Collins...slow start to his rookie yr, but Quinn wants big CBs outside...have to see if Alford moves to slot. You see William Moore play a few times and you think he near elite...big hitter, decent in coverage but can't stay on the field...I would be open to an upgrade and both S spots.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan's spot is safe but we will need to draft a backup or sign someone.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan's spot is safe but we will need to draft a backup or sign someone.
Happy New Year Night!

Yep, Matt will get another OC long before Blank even considers another starter at QB.

Shawn Lawson...the CLEM DE mocked to the Falcons...I saw him for about a qtr...got hurt in the OKLA bowl game...Kearse the S many think is 1st rd material...will have to look in more detail in this game vs Bama.

Off topic...I blew it on the TV...I head out the Sat after Xmas with $1000/65" LED as my target based on the black friday sales a few weeks earlier. Apparently those were real sales. I couldn't find a 1080p 65" for under $1000, in the stores they are pushing the 4k TVs hard too. The lowest price I found was $1200 and the 4ks were $1600.

In the end, I held firm and decided to see what specials pop up for super bowl. Furniture might not make it in time for the SB so I might not have anything to sit on anyway.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year Night!

Yep, Matt will get another OC long before Blank even considers another starter at QB.

Shawn Lawson...the CLEM DE mocked to the Falcons...I saw him for about a qtr...got hurt in the OKLA bowl game...Kearse the S many think is 1st rd material...will have to look in more detail in this game vs Bama.

Off topic...I blew it on the TV...I head out the Sat after Xmas with $1000/65" LED as my target based on the black friday sales a few weeks earlier. Apparently those were real sales. I couldn't find a 1080p 65" for under $1000, in the stores they are pushing the 4k TVs hard too. The lowest price I found was $1200 and the 4ks were $1600.

In the end, I held firm and decided to see what specials pop up for super bowl. Furniture might not make it in time for the SB so I might not have anything to sit on anyway.
Happy New Year.

You you might be able to get a mount and have whoever you bought it from to install it for you for free.

Lawson is pretty solid but I'm still a big fan of the kid from Ole Miss. I can't spell his last name but he could be the next Suh at the next level.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanny has got to go, I don't like him at all for OC.
Some major changes and additions need to be made to the defense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year.

You you might be able to get a mount and have whoever you bought it from to install it for you for free.

Lawson is pretty solid but I'm still a big fan of the kid from Ole Miss. I can't spell his last name but he could be the next Suh at the next level.

Me too, I'll butcher it just as bad. Nkemdiche? He has pass rush ability from the inside...his hotel trouble may push him into the late teens.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year.

I bought a TV mount already...install was pretty easy...I was just surprised at how quickly manufacturers are moving on from 1080p sets...it seems like they are trying to encourage the 4k content to grow by getting a much higher number of 4k TVs in the market place.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, I'll butcher it just as bad. Nkemdiche? He has pass rush ability from the inside...his hotel trouble may push him into the late teens.
Yep, that guy. I don't think we should go after Floyd from Georgia...good player but too small for the NFL as an edge rusher.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From first glance, an 8-8 season doesn't look so bad, considering the last two seasons; however, we had a 5-0 start and at that point were considered to be shoe-ins for the Playoffs. Instead, we're out. Very disappointing end to the season.

I was very unimpressed with Matt Ryan. While he was fifth in yardage, he was 20th in passer rating and 15th in QBR. Last year, he was fifth in passer rating and 7th in QBR Very mediocre season for Ryan. The offensive-line can't be blamed for his regression. The O-line was much improved this season. In fact, I read it was considered to be one of the better lines in the NFL this year. Devonta Freeman is a stud. Always had high hopes for him ever since we drafted him. Coleman was a fumble machine. Julio is beginning to cement himself as the league's best receiver. Roddy had a rough season. I was pleasantly surprised with Jacob Tamme. Hardy shows potential.

Pass rush still needs work, but it's improved a little bit. Secondary wasn't too bad. Rush defense was okay. As a whole, the defense was average, which was about what I expected out of Quinn's first year.

There's no reason this team should not have made the Playoffs. Our defense and O-line made strides and we found a star running back. Matt Ryan performed poorly, and our receiving depth is weak. We should probably start by losing Shanahan. His scheme probably wasn't helping much at all.

For the draft, we need to look primarily at pass rush and receiving.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From first glance, an 8-8 season doesn't look so bad, considering the last two seasons; however, we had a 5-0 start and at that point were considered to be shoe-ins for the Playoffs. Instead, we're out. Very disappointing end to the season.

I was very unimpressed with Matt Ryan. While he was fifth in yardage, he was 20th in passer rating and 15th in QBR. Last year, he was fifth in passer rating and 7th in QBR Very mediocre season for Ryan. The offensive-line can't be blamed for his regression. The O-line was much improved this season. In fact, I read it was considered to be one of the better lines in the NFL this year. Devonta Freeman is a stud. Always had high hopes for him ever since we drafted him. Coleman was a fumble machine. Julio is beginning to cement himself as the league's best receiver. Roddy had a rough season. I was pleasantly surprised with Jacob Tamme. Hardy shows potential.

Pass rush
still needs work, but it's improved a little bit. Secondary wasn't too bad. Rush defense was okay. As a whole, the defense was average, which was about what I expected out of Quinn's first year.

There's no reason this team should not have made the Playoffs. Our defense and O-line made strides and we found a star running back. Matt Ryan performed poorly, and our receiving depth is weak. We should probably start by losing Shanahan. His scheme probably wasn't helping much at all.

For the draft, we need to look primarily at pass rush and receiving.

Good points.

Ryan let the team down with ball security this year, plain and simple. IDK what caused it because he started the season playing very well.

Whatever it is...the same group of eyes are going to be on the problem and solution. At his presser Quinn reflected on the season and made it point to say he was disappointed in the lack of consistency in the run game, and of course the turnovers, but it looks as if the staff is going to stay pretty much intact as well as the FO.

WR...some of it imo was self inflicted. They went from HD, Julio and Roddy...to Super Julio and some guys. Hankerson was never better than HD imo, and they all but ignored Roddy until they had no choice was all on Shanny imo. Yeah, Roddy has lost something but is still a 800 to 1k yd WR in this league.

The OL did ok overall, but during the long losing streak if PFF's stuff has any merit, their grades went down along with the streak...G, C, G is not complete yet...Levitre who cost a 6th rd pick I think, Chester, Stone, Gradk are all stop gap players imo. I would look to upgrade one of those spots via FA, and maybe take a OG in the 2 or 3rd round.

Beasley turn it on a little at the end...still a work in progress, but I think they have hit with this pick. Clayborne is another stop gap...decent season, but maybe a depth guy at this point....would you consider Mario Williams if the price was right in addition to the draft?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that guy. I don't think we should go after Floyd from Georgia...good player but too small for the NFL as an edge rusher.

I just read he's coming out as expected.

I've heard the comparison names mentioned...Mingo. CLE, still on roster, Coples. NYJ, released this yr I think, Dion Jordan, MIA...suspended. idk if agree with all of them but he does have a slim build, may not be able to play much heavier than he is now.

Point...None have been very effective...Mingo is a surprising miss to me though.

I like him as a 3-4 edge rusher...but he I think he can also play 4-3 OLB. IMO not ready to start at the NFL yet, 2nd rd, great, but 1st rd which is where some early boards have him going, I wouldn't be too excited.

No way he can pllay 4-3 DE for Quinn at his size....Nkemdiche by a landslide over him. Pioli/Dimitroff should be able to come away from this draft with a guy DE...5 guys that are more prototypical 4-3 DE...have 1st round grades according to CBS draft boards...Bosa will be gone, but Lawson, Ogbah, Buckner, Allen all have the size and the grade...maybe they get one of them.

Question...does it make sense to make a run at Mario Williams? He's almost certain to be axed in BUF?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably not worth it to go after Williams. The size of his contract would have more risk than reward. It's not very safe to assume he would have similar production without as much talent on the interior defensive line.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points.

Ryan let the team down with ball security this year, plain and simple. IDK what caused it because he started the season playing very well.

Whatever it is...the same group of eyes are going to be on the problem and solution. At his presser Quinn reflected on the season and made it point to say he was disappointed in the lack of consistency in the run game, and of course the turnovers, but it looks as if the staff is going to stay pretty much intact as well as the FO.

WR...some of it imo was self inflicted. They went from HD, Julio and Roddy...to Super Julio and some guys. Hankerson was never better than HD imo, and they all but ignored Roddy until they had no choice was all on Shanny imo. Yeah, Roddy has lost something but is still a 800 to 1k yd WR in this league.

The OL did ok overall, but during the long losing streak if PFF's stuff has any merit, their grades went down along with the streak...G, C, G is not complete yet...Levitre who cost a 6th rd pick I think, Chester, Stone, Gradk are all stop gap players imo. I would look to upgrade one of those spots via FA, and maybe take a OG in the 2 or 3rd round.

Beasley turn it on a little at the end...still a work in progress, but I think they have hit with this pick. Clayborne is another stop gap...decent season, but maybe a depth guy at this point....would you consider Mario Williams if the price was right in addition to the draft?

Like what Night said, he's a huge risk. I would rather pick someone else up in addition to drafting another pass rusher with the 17th pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably not worth it to go after Williams. The size of his contract would have more risk than reward. It's not very safe to assume he would have similar production without as much talent on the interior defensive line.

You and @Demonjoe93 are probably right.

But...on the money side...he'd have to clear waivers which he will easily with that deal and start over with a market rate contract.

I'm not sure why he feel out of favor with Ryan but the guy was on All Pro Team with 14 sacks in '14...30 y/o but a name I need to follow to see if he is indeed washed up.