• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 2

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little worried after the loss.

If the Wild tie the series, anything can happen. I'm just not sold on this team like I was last season or the '10 team.

Even when the hawks were down 2-0 I really thought they would find a way. It never happened. I think the boys believed the social media and thought this would be a cake walk. Gotta get the puck to the net. Gotta mix up the lines again. When will Sharp go back with Hossa and Toews to find his game again? It would be tough to move bickell now, but it sure looks like he can play with anybody now.

any word on Smith in the third? Was he hurt when Q was playing sharp, saad and kane?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when the hawks were down 2-0 I really thought they would find a way. It never happened. I think the boys believed the social media and thought this would be a cake walk. Gotta get the puck to the net. Gotta mix up the lines again. When will Sharp go back with Hossa and Toews to find his game again? It would be tough to move bickell now, but it sure looks like he can play with anybody now.

any word on Smith in the third? Was he hurt when Q was playing sharp, saad and kane?

I haven't heard anything about Smith being hurt, I'm guessing it was a Q decision.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts and ramblings from Game 3 and beyond:

1 I'm coming out and saying that Q lost Game 3 for the Hawks. His lunacy to replace Leddy with Brookbank and then adding Versteeg is just moronic. Now, I know the guy has won 2 Cups and all, but I felt that was probably the WORST coaching I had seen ever. If you want to play Brookbank, then scratch Rozsival. And Versteeg is just excess baggage at this stage. Morin is already better than him.

2 Shaw will not return for Game 4. Another of Q's stupid statements of "Shaw should be ready to go after missing a game". Tired of all that.

3 Get this one. Ben Smith now skating on the first line with Toews and Bickell. What???? Really???? So then you have Sharp centering for Kane and Hossa on the second line? Really? Because that first line looks pretty weak right now.

After Game 3, I don't know what to think. Seems like Q is trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I'm bewildered.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moulson likely out for Game 4:

Last edited by a moderator:

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About game 3: Hawks failed to have any jump again until AFTER the Wild scored. The first two Wild goals were quality goals too. A long pass that skips on the ice and is redirected a split-second after the bounce. Then the passing that precipitated the 2nd goal had the defense standing on their heels, and caught Crawford leaning. It's almost like the Hawks played like they knew they were going to lose.

Get this one. Ben Smith now skating on the first line with Toews and Bickell. What???? Really???? So then you have Sharp centering for Kane and Hossa on the second line? Really? Because that first line looks pretty weak right now.

After Game 3, I don't know what to think. Seems like Q is trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I'm bewildered.

Strange line combo. But I can see it working. I can also see the 2nd and 3rd lines creating mismatches for the Wild who are not as deep. And since coach Q is the 3rd-winningest NHL coach of all time, he must be doing something right.

Glad about Versteeg being a healthy scratch. He's not helping. Too bad about Shaw. I wonder if the decision to keep Shaw out is related more to the fact that the Hawks hold a 2-1 edge? If we win game 4, my guess is Shaw sits again for game 5. If we lose (and I don't see that happening), then my guess is that Shaw comes back.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little worried after the loss.

If the Wild tie the series, anything can happen. I'm just not sold on this team like I was last season or the '10 team.

Don't be so down, Irish. Maybe the Hawks didn't look good, but we've had some forgettable games in the Cup years also:

In 2010 we lost twice in the first 3 games (by the same score of 4-1) to the Preds. Then we got embarrassed on home ice in the first game against the Nucks (lost 5-1). We let Philly back in it when they tied up the series 2-2.

And last season (2013-14) was no picnic either. The Wings were up 3 games to 1. And in those 3 games we lost, we scored a total of 2 goals. Yikes! We then had trouble in game 3 of the third round against the Kings, losing 3-1. Then against the Bruins, they forced OT in 4 of the first 5 games. Fortunately we won the OT games. But they blanked us 2-0 in the non-OT game.

One reason I'm not as worried, is because (1) the Hawks have experience, even if they are tied in a series, or are losing. They know what needs to be done. And (2) they can't play "lights-out" every game. And even when they do play bad, they're usually still "in" the game. (With the exception of a couple of clunker games.) We'll be alright, man.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks looked like crap once again. No sustained offensive pressure at any time. Stupid penalties including a delay of game and closing the hand over the puck.

Michael Roszival was putrid last night. On the ice for three of the goals and in the penalty box for the fourth. Couldn't clear a puck to save his life. Couldn't make a play to save his life.

Hawks had more turnovers in their own end and in center ice than I think I've ever seen them do in a single game. Whatever shots the Hawks had they were from the side. Wild did a great job of stacking three players in the middle from the crease to the high slot. Nothing getting through.

Q doing his best high school coach imitation. Throwing lines out there every shift trying desperately to get something to work. Nothing did. Aside from Roszival, Nordstrom and Bollig are just plain useless. Morin wasn't much better. Crawford let in two shady goals...and that was the difference. Overall extremely poor game by the Hawks.

At this point in the series, I have no answers how to get this fixed. The last two games...and much of the first two...the Wild are definitely the better team.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must say, that Wild team is making me look very foolish. Gave them no shot against the Avalanche, gave them no shot against the Blackhawks, and they keep proving me wrong. There's something about their building that gives them energy. Now I know why it's called the Xcel ENERGY Center.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one word, ouch.

dont get the come back home deal when this team looks to be in pieces. Hawks were outshot late in the third at a 2:1 clip. Minnesota was playing the hawks game and the hawks could not stop them.

I knew Cooke was gonna give them a lift, didnt expect him to be dominant.

Only line that had any step was Nordstrom, Smith and Morin, if they got the puck deep, othewise everyone, I mean everyone was chasing.

Worst thing that could have happened did, Bryzy got his confidence back. Cant say I agree with all the calls on the ice, but when Morin hit a stick, they dropped it, when hit, they fell violently. That Spurgeon elbow to Krueger, why was that not a major, borderline game misconduct. Bollig is an idiot for that boarding hit. Go after cooke or stoner if you want to play badass..

Kruger led the team with three shots. pathetic. -9 faceoffs and minnesota was so fast they were only hit 7 times. "not in their DNA".

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be so down, Irish. Maybe the Hawks didn't look good, but we've had some forgettable games in the Cup years also:

In 2010 we lost twice in the first 3 games (by the same score of 4-1) to the Preds. Then we got embarrassed on home ice in the first game against the Nucks (lost 5-1). We let Philly back in it when they tied up the series 2-2.

And last season (2013-14) was no picnic either. The Wings were up 3 games to 1. And in those 3 games we lost, we scored a total of 2 goals. Yikes! We then had trouble in game 3 of the third round against the Kings, losing 3-1. Then against the Bruins, they forced OT in 4 of the first 5 games. Fortunately we won the OT games. But they blanked us 2-0 in the non-OT game.

One reason I'm not as worried, is because (1) the Hawks have experience, even if they are tied in a series, or are losing. They know what needs to be done. And (2) they can't play "lights-out" every game. And even when they do play bad, they're usually still "in" the game. (With the exception of a couple of clunker games.) We'll be alright, man.

Some good points, but man, it's not looking too good.

Hawks just don't have the energy or desire it seems. This just isn't going to be our season boys.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8pm puck drop on a sunday night? that just plain blows.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel. Honestly.

After the Hawks tied the game after falling behind 0-1, and then 1-2, I thought that they'd pull it out. But bad goals, poor clearing attempts, terrible passes, and dumb penalties, and not scoring on TWO breakaways, were strikes against them. But then only 20 shots on goal (1 more than in game 3), and only a handful were "quality" scoring chances (though I couldn't find the stat).

Gotta give the Wild credit. They're playing like they want it more. The Wild were credited with 15 takeaways, versus the Hawks' 4. Ouch! Out-skating, better passes, better scoring chances, and they're clogging up the slot...

Speaking of which, it would be nice if the NHL kept track of "puck possession." Because IMO, the Hawks at least won the "puck possession" battle. But it's also their Achilles heel; for as much as they were in the Wild's end of the ice for a good chunk of the game, with virtually NOTHING to show for the effort. Shoot, guys!

They need to regroup. Hopefully Shaw plays. Should provide an emotional lift.

I'm no "line" master, but I'd like to see Kruger, Versteeg and/or Morin/Nordstrom on the 4th line (scratch Bollig indefinitely). The speed alone of those guys might create a mismatch.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bollig is scratched for two games, suspended for the boarding hit.

I still dont know what happened to Smith, for him to be dropped to that fourth line and kruger centering the third didnt seem to make sense, but then again, Kruger led the team in shots with three and Zeus redirected that wide shot for the goal and had another shot.

Just seems more figuring out where the second tier is playing and not questioning the superstars who cant get pucks to the net, even with the juggling, the wild defense is shutting them down.

Q will get some matchups today, but when our best cant beat their best then its up to our third and fourth lines to beat their second and third best. We need the hawks to score first, shoot often and match this 20 shot effort in the first period. They gotta start hitting on stretch passes since the icing calls allow them to match up.

I see alot in nordstrom he isnt afraid to get hit behind the net in the wild zone and is getting to the net. Morin went to the net and got two shots in the matter of a second and will get more chances if he stays in the lineup. If he sits and then returns he is behind again.

Really wish this game was being played this afternoon though. Just plain seems like the hawks dont believe the wild will win at the UC in the playoffs and are ready to go 7.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like Q likes this lineup, even though there was not alot of production, but four lines skated the whole game. Versteeg probably earned another start, but it sure seems like he is out at the blueline waiting for stretch passes instead of helping back on D. Nordstrom and Smith were a good tandem keeping the puck in their zone. Still outplayed though. Sure seems like Minnesota is skating to where the passes are going before the passes are being made.

Hawks cant keep this we will win at home approach. Sure hope smith or nordstrom end up on the second line later in games though. Zeus is starting strong, I loved Eddies comment that no offense to michael hanzous, but if you are calling him one of the hawks best offensive contributors, there is something wrong. Later in the games it would be nice to see some fresh legs with kaner.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, the light bulb went off over Q's head? Finally put Sharp and Hossa back with Toews. Duh.

Finally all four lines seemed to play better...at least after yet another bad first period.

To Q...okay, now STICK with these four lines and stop playing mix and match every fricking shift.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, the light bulb went off over Q's head? Finally put Sharp and Hossa back with Toews. Duh.

Finally all four lines seemed to play better...at least after yet another bad first period.

To Q...okay, now STICK with these four lines and stop playing mix and match every fricking shift.

It was funny, Eddie O was on the game today, he said the first period was the best period the hawks have played this entire series. I dont think he can stand kaplan either lol. If it was their best Q wouldnt have switched up the lines.

Like I say, it sure seems like Minnesota knows where the pass is going and the nordstrom morin complaint was they need to be responsible on the defensive side, this while Versteeg skates around waiting for someone to paass him the puck after getting their asses kicked in the corners. That was supposed to be one of his strengths. Kaner was checking guys and digging in corners yesterday. Lets hope Hossas game keeps wearing off on more of these guys.

I just dont want to see the wild back in the uc for game 7. They need to get ahead quick and early tomorrow night and get the wild on their heels. I just hope they do alot of film work and see they almost need to try to clear the zone where the wild are standing because they are taking off as soon as the puck is on the hawks stick.

Best part of this series is we have not even come close to seeing the hawks playing their game. if it happens its gonna be one sided.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which streak will end tonight, Wilds home ice streak or the undefeated kane and toews in game 6's when they can clinch a series.

I think Bryzy was on this team, not in net tho. I know he hugs the post this way tho

Last edited by a moderator: