• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 RBs, FBs

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't discussed the RB corps much, but there should be a bit of competition on the back end of that unit in training camp coming right up.

At RB Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, and Theo Riddick are locked in to the roster spots. The fourth spot looks to be Mikel Leshoure's to lose, but that's where it could get interesting- I wouldn't be surprised to see Montell Owens snake the 4th RB spot if Leshoure has a less-than-stellar camp. Both players are big backs- right around 230 lbs. Owens is the more compact of the pair at 5'10" as compared to Leshoure's 6'0". Leshoure has the big advantage in career production on offense, but Owens is a special teams stand-out, whereas Leshoure doesn't contribute in that area at all, as far as I know. Owens can also function as a FB, increasing his versatility and value.

I think it's still Leashoure's spot to lose, as I mentioned above, but if he has a poor camp and they decide that Owens' value on special teams is worth more than what Leshoure will contribute to the offense I wouldn't be shocked if Owens was the 4th RB when camp breaks in August.

The dark-horse is Steven Miller, last pre-season's fan favorite. His blazing speed and quickness might translate to a Darren Sproles type of fit in our new offense, but more than likely he's destined for another season on the practice squad.

At FB I think Jed Collins is a lock, given his familiarity with the scheme. Behind him is rookie Chad Abram, a compact, ultra-athletic FB who was a special-teams stud at FSU. He's got a good shot at a roster spot and is almost certainly a lock for the practice squad if he doesn't make the final 53 outright. He also has enough speed to function as a hybrid RB/FB, much like Owens.

As much as I like Leshoure's potential now that he's not mired in Schwartz's doghouse, I have to wonder of Owens can make a bigger impact with his special teams play? Couple him with Abram if he makes the roster and we could have a pair of reserve RBs really contributing on a game-to-game basis. Our special teams coverage was pretty decent last year- add in a couple of 230+ Lb gunners who both run a sub 4.6 and we could have ourselves a top coverage unit this year.

Obviously there's still a ton of moving parts to figure out, but depending on how things shake out we could conceivably go from zero FBs on the roster last year to three FBs this year. Granted that would entail Leshoure not making the roster and us keeping two FBs, but the ability those guys bring on special teams makes it a viable possibility.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see what Leshoure still can offer. The guy all but proved he could be utilized as a short yardage back. Schwartz all but put him in the doghouse and left us fans wondering what happened?

I figure Collins is a lock at FB with history of Saints O. However I love what Chad Abram can bring to the Lions. Hope he can clear waivers to PS if he is cut. Then replace Collins next year.

Miller can only make team by displacing Riddick. I will not believe the hype of Riddick from team mates until he shows it on field. I also do not see Miller as Lion ever.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see what Leshoure still can offer. The guy all but proved he could be utilized as a short yardage back. Schwartz all but put him in the doghouse and left us fans wondering what happened?

I figure Collins is a lock at FB with history of Saints O. However I love what Chad Abram can bring to the Lions. Hope he can clear waivers to PS if he is cut. Then replace Collins next year.

Miller can only make team by displacing Riddick. I will not believe the hype of Riddick from team mates until he shows it on field. I also do not see Miller as Lion ever.

I've read from a couple of places that Abram may be kept in favor of a 6th LB, as both players would primarily be special teamers...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Gandy mentioned, I'd also like to see more of Leshoure this season. 2 years removed of the achilles injury. He was in the first round discussion leading up to his draft. He should be able to tear up 2nd and 3rd stringers in pre-season games at least. If he doesn't, there should be cause for concern.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have faith in Leshoure's abilities- hence the running joke about him looking faster last offseason (that was at my expense) - I was just playing some Devil's advocate and laying out an alternate look we might end up seeing.

I think I remember seeing that he added some weight this offseason while decreasing his overall body fat percentage. A bigger, very fresh Leshoure running behind a true FB should bode well for our short yardage situations this season.

I think a full-house look with Bush running a pitch to the strong side with Leshoure following Collins behind the weak side guard would be a tough one to stop. The opposing sam would have to commit to stopping Bush, so if we get a hat on the other two LBs it should be an easy yard on first down.

The new scheme is definitely a lot more versatile than Linehan's was. Much better power running looks with a real FB on the roster...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 hours and no one has mentioned that Leshoure looks much faster.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like there's a good chance we could keep two FBs, as Owens has been running key roles in special teams drills so far through training camp.

Sounds like he and Collins have been used differently within the offense so far, so there could be a place for both, likely at the expense of a 6th LB.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd pick up about $750k in cap space by releasing LeShoure and he's a UFA next year. So, unless they really need cap space I'd probably keep him to see if he can return to form. If hopeless or space is needed to fit everyone else under the cap, cut him.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think LeShoure is the odd man out this year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think LeShoure is the odd man out this year.

I really don't see Miller or Wynn displacing him, so unless they think Montell Owens can serve as the 4th RB (and maybe they do?) I don't see Leshoure getting cut. Traded perhaps.

We'll almost certainly keep four RBs, so he's in a good position right now.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions plan on trading him most likely. I think that is why they put him as number 3 on the depth chart too. No team wants to trade for a number 5 RB.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time the Lions are asked about trading weed Eater they insist he is not on the block. They also said he was in the mix this year and would be given a fresh start. He's also asked to be traded and nothing has come of it.

You can really tell which guys Mayhew wanted and which guys Schwartz wanted.

Suh
Fairley
Dumb Willy

All Gone or going

Broyles
Weed Eater
Titus until he finally went bananas.
Pettigrew resigned

All still here.

Obviously Schwartz didn't like Leshoure for whatever reason
Maybe he resented him because Mayhew traded up for him when Schwartz wanted a guy on D. We can only speculate.

But I'm sure Leshoure is one of the guys Mayhew and Schwartz had those well publicized behind the scenes clashes of opinions.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wynn is certainly playing himself onto the roster bubble.

We'll likely keep 4 RBs, and I think the top 3 (Bush, Bell, and Riddick) are locked-in. That leaves Leshoure and Wynn now battling it out for that 4th spot, with Steven Miller solidly the #6 RB right now.

Wynn has been running better and is better on special teams so far through two preseason games, though Leshoure has been chewing up good yards as well and could fill a niche when we need to run the clock late in games.

Should be an interesting battle to round out the RB group for sure.

Also, wonder if we'll keep 2 FBs, or 6 WRs. I think either Montell Owens or Corey Fuller will get one spot between the two of them. Both play well on special teams, so it's a matter of who can give the offense more as a reserve at their respective positions. Worth keeping an eye on.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wishing they would waive Bush for the cap savings. I've never liked Bush, but everyone was so excited last season when the Lions signed him, I didn't want to shit all over their good feelings.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thruthefog said:
I've been wishing they would waive Bush for the cap savings. I've never liked Bush, but everyone was so excited last season when the Lions signed him, I didn't want to shit all over their good feelings.

:suds: :agree:

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we are able to trade Leshoure before the season for a late round pick. I'm liking Winn and Owens better though the preseason because both are making plays on special teams, which is probably more important for a #4 RB than offensive production, to be honest.