• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Pirates

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll have to rely on waiver deals, then.

Still might be worth it to target Perez and other relievers in that venue, and a bench bat. Probably can't swing a starting pitcher, though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't help matters that three of the teams we might have matched up best with, the Phillies, the Rockies, and the Padres, didn't seem to want to deal anyone...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Nats, Braves, Marlins, Brewers and Cards all made deals today. Lets hope NH will go the waiver deal route for bullpen help since it might come cheaper when teams are ready to dump.

The Giants already made a deal and not really sure the Dodgers needed to but the Pirates are the only playoff hopefull team that looks the same at 4pm.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, after all of Tampa's posturing... Saying we will get exactly what we want for David Price or we will not move him at all, the Rays move Price, in a 3 team deal to the Tigers ( whose Minor League System Sucks BTW...) for the Blockbuster return of SP Drew Smyly & SS Nick Franklin!

Nick Franklin, who has underwhelmed to put it nicely, in each stint he has had in the Majors!

For David Freakin Price!

I am supposed to accept that the Pirates couldn't beat that deal for David Freakin Price???

Excuse me, NH should have been able to be that deal in his sleep IMO.

With our minor league sysrem, we could not even get a bench bat or a couple quality RP's to help us down the stretch???

I am a little stunned!

In my mind, this better mean that Martin will get resigned & Polanco & Walker extended or, I feel that the Pirates fan base has a right to be upset.

We are 2 gms out of 1st place in the division & we do nothing. Not even any help, for a leaky BP?

I am stunned.

Burgh

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Nats, Braves, Marlins, Brewers and Cards all made deals today. Lets hope NH will go the waiver deal route for bullpen help since it might come cheaper when teams are ready to dump.

The Giants already made a deal and not really sure the Dodgers needed to but the Pirates are the only playoff hopefull team that looks the same at 4pm.

He might be counting on some internal options, moving someone to the bullpen when Cole gets back, maybe calling up Kingham for the rotation, and Lambo has looked really good lately as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, after all of Tampa's posturing... Saying we will get exactly what we want for David Price or we will not move him at all, the Rays move Price, in a 3 team deal to the Tigers ( whose Minor League System Sucks BTW...) for the Blockbuster return of SP Drew Smyly & SS Nick Franklin!

Nick Franklin, who has underwhelmed to put it nicely, in each stint he has had in the Majors!

For David Freakin Price!

I am supposed to accept that the Pirates couldn't beat that deal for David Freakin Price???

Excuse me, NH should have been able to be that deal in his sleep IMO.

With our minor league sysrem, we could not even get a bench bad or a couple quality RP's to help us down the stretch???

I am a little stunned!

In my mind, this better mean that Martin will get resigned & Polanco & Walker extended or, I feel that the Pirates fan base has a right to be upset.

We are 2 gms out of 1st place in the division & we do nothing. Not even any help, for a leaky BP?

I am stunned.

Burgh

Smyly is a lot better at the Major League level already than people give him credit for, and under team control for a bit longer. And the Rays got an 18-year-old prospect named Adames, who's receiving very good reviews. It's not as bad a return, in my opinion, as a lot of folks say.

We didn't have anything as good as Smyly that close to the Majors, either, unless we gave up Cole, which obviously wasn't going to happen.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well this sets us up nicely for the offseason then, where we'll trade one or both of the arbitration eligible players.
Then we'll sign some crappy bounce-back candidate starters and float just above .500 again, mainly because Cutch is so awesome.
Then we'll fail to add talent at next deadline because our prospects that might not even be any good are more important to us than the major league roster.

The nuttings will collect another 30-35 million in profits and the fan-base will largely defend their right to pillage the city of pittsburgh.

Good times.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be counting on some internal options, moving someone to the bullpen when Cole gets back, maybe calling up Kingham for the rotation, and Lambo has looked really good lately as well.

Yeah none of those teams top starter is out right now so there is always that bonus for the Pirates.

If a bullpen move occurs for some reason I hope it is Worley not sure Locke fits a bullpen role as well?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this sets us up nicely for the offseason then, where we'll trade one or both of the arbitration eligible players.
Then we'll sign some crappy bounce-back candidate starters and float just above .500 again, mainly because Cutch is so awesome.
Then we'll fail to add talent at next deadline because our prospects that might not even be any good are more important to us than the major league roster.

The nuttings will collect another 30-35 million in profits and the fan-base will largely defend their right to pillage the city of pittsburgh.

Good times.

I agree that it seems they over value their prospects a little too much.
And I just think if they would have dealt Wilson instead of Black to complete the Byrd deal how much better their bullpen would be right now.

I truly would have been fine with any bullpen help right now because Wilson, Gomez and Frieri just scare the crap out of me.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's strange than every deal today was involved older/rental for younger/team controlled and almost every player traded has been in the majors for a a few years.

Wish they would have gotten a reliever at least, but they still have a chance in August.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's strange than every deal today was involved older/rental for younger/team controlled and almost every player traded has been in the majors for a a few years.

Wish they would have gotten a reliever at least, but they still have a chance in August.

Yeah, seemed like a lot of teams (mostly Boston, I suppose) were more interested in roster guys than prospects. I don't know if any top prospects moved, and if so, not many. Either the buyers overvalued prospects, or the sellers undervalued them, but the Dodgers not dealing any of theirs was, as you yourself pointed out, a pretty curious deviation from their usual strategy. Just a strange market overall.

And I do think some of the prices either jumped or shifted toward Major League players or guys in the upper minors due to the Phillies, Padres, and Rockies staying out of the market.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good times.

LOL bounce back candidate.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, seemed like a lot of teams (mostly Boston, I suppose) were more interested in roster guys than prospects. I don't know if any top prospects moved, and if so, not many. Either the buyers overvalued prospects, or the sellers undervalued them, but the Dodgers not dealing any of theirs was, as you yourself pointed out, a pretty curious deviation from their usual strategy. Just a strange market overall.

And I do think some of the prices either jumped or shifted toward Major League players or guys in the upper minors due to the Phillies, Padres, and Rockies staying out of the market.

Phillies guys actually make more sense to trade for in August with all their terrible contracts and what not.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies guys actually make more sense to trade for in August with all their terrible contracts and what not.

Yeah, and I do expect us to inquire about a few of them, mostly Lee, Hamels, and some of their bullpen arms.

I do think it would have been impossible to match the Athletics' offer for Lester. Cespedes is already a successful Major League hitter who profiles really well at Fenway. He carries more value than Bell, certainly, and maybe as much (due to the certainty of his performance) as a package like Bell and Kingham.

I also think the Rays wanted a good Major League starting pitcher in return for Price, since they're still in the playoff hunt, and I don't think the Pirates could have given up one as good as Smyly without mitigating the value of adding Price. Morton, Locke, and Worley aren't good enough, Volquez and Liriano will be free agents, and Cole would be giving up too much. The Tigers were the team who needed him least (besides the A's, I guess), but who were also best equipped to trade for him.

So the two big name starting pitchers on the market went to the two teams who needed them the least, but also happened to be the two teams best equipped to trade for them.

Still, it would have been nice to get a guy like Kennedy or Lackey, though I would have been hesitant on both, being right-handed fly ball pitchers, which don't profile especially well at PNC Park.

Still would like to kick the tires on guys like Perez, Lee, Hamels, Hawkins, de la Rosa, and maybe even Miley, though, just to see what we can do.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Help me here last yr we added Bryd and Morneau. Were these acquisitions made before the deadline or after. Thks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on how the Rays' playoff chances go, and the Pirates' needs in a couple weeks, Zobrist might actually be worth targeting for an August deal. Good bat, can play anywhere, could be used a lot like we've been using Harrison, too.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on how the Rays' playoff chances go, and the Pirates' needs in a couple weeks, Zobrist might actually be worth targeting for an August deal. Good bat, can play anywhere, could be used a lot like we've been using Harrison, too.

I actually was excited when I saw the fake (ESPN duped) report. He'd make the bench much better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually was excited when I saw the fake (ESPN duped) report. He'd make the bench much better.

He's hitting very well this season, could probably be a starter for us. He's played some first base, and he's outhit our first base platoon, so maybe that's where we could stick him.