• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 FA / Combine / Draft

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying, Curran said he had a source that sid they looked into it. They may not have looked hard, and there may not have been any chance of a deal, but I believe Curran more than I believe anybody at the Herald.

I can understand why you'd think Curran might be more believable but on the flip side...he's been known to get all kissy faced with Belichick and players so he'd be a good choice to use for misinformation. Not that this is one of those cases.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would grab a DT first then a TE, DE or SS then WR?

In the draft, I would go DT-TE-BPA (probably DE)-WR-SS but you have to realize that I am looking at the player and the need and fit for the team rather than generalizing the position. With that said - defensive tackle is the biggest need. You have to remember that the Patriots have Buchanon and Bequette on the active roster so the true need at defensive end is not as large as defensive tackle.

If I were in BB's shoes, here is what I am looking at:

I want to draft:
  • Hageman in round 1
    • Fiedorowicz in round 2 (as much as I would like to see ASJ drop to pick 61)
    • Michael Sam or Marcus Smith in the 3rd round
    • Cody Latimer in round 4
    • and say take a flyer on Colt Lyeria in round 6/7 while

• the Patriots sign a free agent center (I advocate for Larsen)
  • strong safety (or just keep Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon on his projected path to take the job)
  • re-sign Talib and Edelman
  • extend Mallet or trade him (and get some picks which one would be utilized for a rookie quarterback)
  • restructure and extend Wilfork for two more years
  • cut Sopoaga for cap purposes

and then get ready for their next two free agent classes after the 2014 and 2015 seasons while hopefully winning a 4th Super Bowl.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the draft, I would go DT-TE-BPA (probably DE)-WR-SS but you have to realize that I am looking at the player and the need and fit for the team rather than generalizing the position. With that said - defensive tackle is the biggest need. You have to remember that the Patriots have Buchanon and Bequette on the active roster so the true need at defensive end is not as large as defensive tackle.

If I were in BB's shoes, here is what I am looking at:

I want to draft:
  • Hageman in round 1
    • Fiedorowicz in round 2 (as much as I would like to see ASJ drop to pick 61)
    • Michael Sam or Marcus Smith in the 3rd round
    • Cody Latimer in round 4
    • and say take a flyer on Colt Lyeria in round 6/7 while

• the Patriots sign a free agent center (I advocate for Larsen)
  • strong safety (or just keep Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon on his projected path to take the job)
  • re-sign Talib and Edelman
  • extend Mallet or trade him (and get some picks which one would be utilized for a rookie quarterback)
  • restructure and extend Wilfork for two more years
  • cut Sopoaga for cap purposes

and then get ready for their next two free agent classes after the 2014 and 2015 seasons while hopefully winning a 4th Super Bowl.

I am unsure if Bequette has what it takes to play at this level, I can actually see him getting cut he has shown me nothing, and I am not sure Buchannon is much better although I think he brings more to the table than Bequette. Sam is a great pick although I think he may move up at the Combine. I guess when I rethink things a DT makes sense only because there are so many question marks at that position. How will Vince look, can Armestead play at this level, how will Kelly look upon his return. We agree a FA Center is the way to go.

If Harmon and Wilson could not take the job from Gregory last year not sure they will this year. I do like Harmon I guess we will just have to see if these two guys develop. Talib IMO is gonna want big numbers contract I agree the need to sign him is critical but it all depends on the money and the terms of the contract. Edeleman had no market last year, it will be interesting to see if other teams target him this year they may of only to drive his numbers up, if they do not resign him IMO Amendola showed flashes of what he could be, I am okay with him. Mallett I see no incentive for Ryan to resign I cant fathom why he would turn down a potential starting job.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand why you'd think Curran might be more believable but on the flip side...he's been known to get all kissy faced with Belichick and players so he'd be a good choice to use for misinformation. Not that this is one of those cases.

Curran just says the Pats "sent out feelers". He also says that talks did not progress very far.
The Herald (I did not check the writer) says "real negotiations" never happened. They put a negative spin on it without actually calling Curran a liar. Just trying to gain their own viewers/readers by riding the coattails of a Curan story.

Hence the reason Curran is a more credible journalist. Even if he is a fart smeller.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am unsure if Bequette has what it takes to play at this level, I can actually see him getting cut he has shown me nothing, and I am not sure Buchannon is much better although I think he brings more to the table than Bequette. Sam is a great pick although I think he may move up at the Combine. I guess when I rethink things a DT makes sense only because there are so many question marks at that position. How will Vince look, can Armestead play at this level, how will Kelly look upon his return. We agree a FA Center is the way to go.

If Harmon and Wilson could not take the job from Gregory last year not sure they will this year. I do like Harmon I guess we will just have to see if these two guys develop. Talib IMO is gonna want big numbers contract I agree the need to sign him is critical but it all depends on the money and the terms of the contract. Edeleman had no market last year, it will be interesting to see if other teams target him this year they may of only to drive his numbers up, if they do not resign him IMO Amendola showed flashes of what he could be, I am okay with him. Mallett I see no incentive for Ryan to resign I cant fathom why he would turn down a potential starting job.

Yea - I agree regarding Bequette. He is going to have to show something this season or he is at risk of being cut which means that they are going to have to address the depth chart of Jones-Ninkovich-Carter-Buchanan-Bequette.

As far as the Gregory situation is concerned, Harmon was a rookie last year so I think that he should be given every shot to get the starting job next year and like Bequette, Tavon Wilson is going to have to show something as well or he is at risk of being cut. I am pretty confident that Harmon is going to be ready as a starting strong safety next year.

Regarding Mallett, I think that he is going to be extended because of the size of the offer the Patriots can make to him since Brady is underpaid respective to other quarterbacks. I could easily see a 4-5 year deal with $4-5 million per annum and that might be more than enough to entice Mallett to stay in New England if he is not dealt.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea - I agree regarding Bequette. He is going to have to show something this season or he is at risk of being cut which means that they are going to have to address the depth chart of Jones-Ninkovich-Carter-Buchanan-Bequette.

As far as the Gregory situation is concerned, Harmon was a rookie last year so I think that he should be given every shot to get the starting job next year and like Bequette, Tavon Wilson is going to have to show something as well or he is at risk of being cut. I am pretty confident that Harmon is going to be ready as a starting strong safety next year.

Regarding Mallett, I think that he is going to be extended because of the size of the offer the Patriots can make to him since Brady is underpaid respective to other quarterbacks. I could easily see a 4-5 year deal with $4-5 million per annum and that might be more than enough to entice Mallett to stay in New England if he is not dealt.

My issue with Mallett is that we have had him three years now and don't know a damn thing about him. I would hate to extend him if he is not the heir apparent. I just have no idea if he is worth keeping, trading, cutting, is a taller Tim Tebow, watches to much Barney and not enough film. anomaly comes to mind

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Mallett is that we have had him three years now and don't know a damn thing about him. I would hate to extend him if he is not the heir apparent. I just have no idea if he is worth keeping, trading, cutting, is a taller Tim Tebow, watches to much Barney and not enough film. anomaly comes to mind

Bill seems to be high on Mallet.
He supposedly turned down a couple 2nd rounders last year.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff guys!! SO let me ask you this, If these 6 are on the board, who do you take:

1-Nix
2-Donald
3-Hageman
4-Tuitt
5-ASJ
6- Amaro

BUT.... if I told you that you can def land Niklas or Fiedorowicz in the 2nd or 3rd rd, what would be your pick?

For me, its Tuitt. Why? Because he has the size to move inside if we need him too. Which means he is a 3 down player. He fills the role of DT/DE for this team, which I think it important to note. If Vice is not OK, and It has to be Kelly and Tuitt/Jones/Siligia for the 1st few months, I am fine with that.....

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey TKO...CBS just moved Ford into the 1st rd....Be interesting to see his combine, but good call Sir!!

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff guys!! SO let me ask you this, If these 6 are on the board, who do you take:

1-Nix
2-Donald
3-Hageman
4-Tuitt
5-ASJ
6- Amaro

BUT.... if I told you that you can def land Niklas or Fiedorowicz in the 2nd or 3rd rd, what would be your pick?

For me, its Tuitt. Why? Because he has the size to move inside if we need him too. Which means he is a 3 down player. He fills the role of DT/DE for this team, which I think it important to note. If Vice is not OK, and It has to be Kelly and Tuitt/Jones/Siligia for the 1st few months, I am fine with that.....

In order - Hageman, Donald, Tuitt, Nix, ASJ and then Amaro with a preference of getting a tight end in round 2 or 3.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill seems to be high on Mallet.
He supposedly turned down a couple 2nd rounders last year.

I am not sure if that is just posturing or hearsay. IMO they flat out refuse to play him even when we have a commanding league, this worries me. Are they not playing him because it may exploit some weaknesses thus bringing down his potential trade value? I don't know I just have no feel at all for his value.

In order - Hageman, Donald, Tuitt, Nix, ASJ and then Amaro with a preference of getting a tight end in round 2 or 3.

I am really high on Donald not sure where he is projected but I watched him a few times and was impressed. If he is projected after the second round that affords us the ability to grab a TE in round one or a legit #1 WR.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey TKO...CBS just moved Ford into the 1st rd....Be interesting to see his combine, but good call Sir!!

Wow! Talk about getting a bump from the Senior Bowl...all the way up to 18? He may end up there or even higher after the Combine but I was thinking bottom of the 1st at this point but no higher than 25. Pass rushers get the love. The Pats need to find more outside speed for the rush IMO but that player may never have to be true starting material as long as Ninkovich is still there. Best case scenario IMO...they find that player later and get a solid DT that can get to the Qb from the top of the draft. Of course...it all depends on who's on the board when they're picking.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at CBS and they have Donald listed above Hagerman as well as Jernigan from FSU whom I would be okay passing on. Hegerman seems to fall into our draft area as does Tuitt whom they list as a DT.

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Donald had good week at the Senior Bowl but IMO Jernigan looks nastier, quicker, stronger and is the better hand-fighter.

He's also a little bigger than Donald but not much.

I don't like Hageman.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald had good week at the Senior Bowl but IMO Jernigan looks nastier, quicker, stronger and is the better hand-fighter.

He's also a little bigger than Donald but not much.

I don't like Hageman.

FSU DT Timmy Jernigan Junior Season Highlights - YouTube

Yeah I watched him all year, you can't go wrong with either pick I just prefer Dopnald. Also watch some footage on Easley from UF. He has been playing with the whole undersized stigma in the SEC and has been pretty damn impressive injuries do worry me with him

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I watched him all year, you can't go wrong with either pick I just prefer Dopnald. Also watch some footage on Easley from UF. He has been playing with the whole undersized stigma in the SEC and has been pretty damn impressive injuries do worry me with him

I haven't looked at Easley at all but I will. I think if you're looking for a Sapp type then it's probably Jernigan 1a and Donald 1b but they're close. Some teams will probably like the fact that Donald has a body of work from the Senior Bowl and will be view him as the safer pick.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easley has had two knees injuries. He might be a player they can roll the dice on with a late pick the same way they could with CB Aaron Colvin who hurt his knee at Senior Bowl practice. Signing them as an UDFA is another option.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems DT is getting better by the day. IDK, but I still like Tuitt because of the fact he can play both, DT/DE. He has the size for it, 6"6" 312, I mean shit, come on...LOL. When he played DE at ND with Nix in the middle he tore it up, when he went inside after Nix got hurt, he got doubled all the time. The kid has some good skills of the edge and can move inside if we need him. Its sort of like "killiing 2 birds with 1 stone". I am not saying I would not be happy with Donald or Jernigan, but are the strictly DT?