• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 FA / Combine / Draft

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess? My concern is getting a legit #1 they seem hard to come by.

IMO..it's more likely they'll sign players like Riley Cooper, Sanders or Golden Tate than a true #1 like Fitzgerald.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO..it's more likely they'll sign players like Riley Cooper, Sanders or Golden Tate than a true #1 like Fitzgerald.

And I don't get that, have they forgotten the Moss years?

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until they get more pass rushers that can beat their man one on one they'll never have a truly great defense. Any HC that didn't get the memo about the NFL being "a QB driven league"...should wake up and draft more players that can actually get to the QB. Manning was barely touched in the AFCCG and picked the Pats apart. It's not news to me, I've been screaming pass rushers since 2007 but BB has been content scraping the bottom of the barrel until he drafted Jones in 2012. Collins is another player that fits so maybe Belichick has decided to smell the coffee. Draft a couple of penetrating DTs and an outside speed rusher this year and all the DBs will improve...and the D-coaching will too. All the great NFL defenses have been able to pressure the QB and the greatest ones did it the best...file it under...duh.
its a combination of things that will make the passrush perform at its peak. you need good d line, good cover corners, and blitz. we got corners covered, made strides at the dline but sill not there still need a de opposite jones and a dt if armstead flops, but the blitz and aggressive style just aint there. you cant just send 4 stud passrushers all game its gotta be more. look at detroit they got a phenominal dline but their d sucks they dont have all bases covered. you could try and build a giants dline like in the sb or the colts in their prime with freeney mathis buts its hard to do, especially from where we are picking all the time. its like when people wanted to stay in the 3-4, way too hard to build that back to elite needing a seymore and two stud olbs it woulda been real hard for us. im just at the point so sick of the defensive playcalling id rather build the offense up, at least they play aggressive and attack and can drop 40 points with brady who knows how to play, they just need a few more talent pieces which i think we could get with our picks.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a combination of things that will make the passrush perform at its peak. you need good d line, good cover corners, and blitz. we got corners covered, made strides at the dline but sill not there still need a de opposite jones and a dt if armstead flops, but the blitz and aggressive style just aint there. you cant just send 4 stud passrushers all game its gotta be more. look at detroit they got a phenominal dline but their d sucks they dont have all bases covered. you could try and build a giants dline like in the sb or the colts in their prime with freeney mathis buts its hard to do, especially from where we are picking all the time. its like when people wanted to stay in the 3-4, way too hard to build that back to elite needing a seymore and two stud olbs it woulda been real hard for us. im just at the point so sick of the defensive playcalling id rather build the offense up, at least they play aggressive and attack and can drop 40 points with brady who knows how to play, they just need a few more talent pieces which i think we could get with our picks.

I'm not saying a good pass defense is all on the front but if you leave a player like Manning clean all game long, you could have an All Pro D-backfield and he'll still pick you apart. If you get to him or any QB it's a different story so I think they need an inside player that can get in the backfield and to the QB and not just push the pocket...it'll do a world of good.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess? My concern is getting a legit #1 they seem hard to come by.

I don't know that they're in the cap position to gamble on a player who may or may not work out. Sanders will cost them significant money - much more than even a first round draft pick - and they'll still be going into camp with a big question mark.

If they don't otherwise address the position, or if they have some cap room to take a risk, sure, I've heard promising things about Sanders. He sounds like he has a real chance at being a good player. They just can't sign him and assume that they have solved their receiving corps problems, because he's not a sure thing.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that they're in the cap position to gamble on a player who may or may not work out. Sanders will cost them significant money - much more than even a first round draft pick - and they'll still be going into camp with a big question mark.

If they don't otherwise address the position, or if they have some cap room to take a risk, sure, I've heard promising things about Sanders. He sounds like he has a real chance at being a good player. They just can't sign him and assume that they have solved their receiving corps problems, because he's not a sure thing.

I don't see the need to drafting a wide receiver in the first or second round. With that said, there is plenty of value in the 3rd through the 5th round. That kid from Indiana could be a really good value for the Pats if he is properly scouted. I do think that Dobson is going to progress from year one to year two.

Their top two priorities are at defensive tackle and tight end and they are unquestioned because of health (Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead and Gronk) and because of age (Wilfork and Kelly). As much as I liked what I saw from their backup defensive tackles this year, they are depth and should not be relied upon to be starters. We need an impact defensive tackle who can step in and be a disruptive force. In my view, Hageman is that answer and he could be there when the Patriots draft. I see Seymour written all over that kid.

I think that the Pats should sign a free agent center (Mack would be ideal or even Larsen because of his familiarity of our system and he did show well this year for the Buccaneers). I would test Harmon to see if he can be the strong safety that replaces Gregory. If they don't resign Talib, then they need to get a shutdown corner to replace him.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meriweather is availible. :)

I hate to say this but based on what I saw, Ihedigbo, for some strange reason, played much better in Baltimore this year than all of the time that I had watch his ass get toasted in New England.

Bruschi_Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft would be much better than that duck the other writer at nepatriotsdraft.com put up there earlier last week.

Nix, ASJ, Lynch, Sunseri, Latimer and White are all real good choices and based on the write up, Bitonio showed well during the Senior Bowl week.

Latimer, in my view, is real interesting. The kid makes plays, has deceptive speed, is a late round draft value, and has good hands. He was the best player in Indiana's squad. The comparable that I have for Latimer is Marques Colston. He would be a perfect fit for this team.

If the Pats can get ASJ at their original slot in the 2nd round, then that would be very, very nice.

Cody Latimer is the kid that I was thinking about. He could be a real good value in the mid-rounds as a wide receiver....He reminds me of Golden Tate but more physical and faster.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Latimer is the kid that I was thinking about. He could be a real good value in the mid-rounds as a wide receiver....He reminds me of Golden Tate but more physical and faster.

So you would grab a DT first then a TE, DE or SS then WR?

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some logic that supports not taking a WR early. TE is a greater need if we land a quality pass catching TE and if Gronk remains healthy the two TE set takes pressure off the other pass catchers. Now I think Gronk will be okay his hit could have happened to anyone. Also BB has not had a lot of luck with WRs so why take one early? It's to risky! As much as I was disappointed with Sharon Dropson some receivers take a year or two we really need to giver her another look this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also need to figure out about Mallet too. If he is not staying around then we need to draft one in this draft and let him sit for 3yrs, like Rodgers did. We have seen BB grab a QB in the 3rd before, could he do it again if Mallet hit the road? Mettenberger in the 3rd? Murray in the 4th? Will the even last that long...We better make some moves in FA this yr, so we get are future needs in the draft. I don't mean Adrian Wilson either.....

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this but based on what I saw, Ihedigbo, for some strange reason, played much better in Baltimore this year than all of the time that I had watch his ass get toasted in New England.
thats cuz the pats play their safeties like bitches, keeping them 50 yards deep scared of the deep ball. we havent really let a real strong safety loose to wreck havok since Harrison. they even used meri wrong putting him at corner then deep free safety, the only time he played well was at strong safety cuz hes an enforcer thats were he should be. maybe its cuz our corners sucked and we were getting beat by the pass so much they play their safeties the way they do since harrison retired? i dunno. but gregory is so far from the answer its not funny. id welcome meri back if the pats used him right, hes an upgrade over soft ass gregory at least. or get a strong safety in the draft but you said the safety class is pretty weak right?

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Herald:

It's certainly conceivable the Patriots have had internal discussions about Fitzgerald, but any potential interest has remained in-house. The Patriots have never entered any real negotiations with the Cardinals for Fitzgerald -- this year, last year, any year -- according to a source.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats cuz the pats play their safeties like bitches, keeping them 50 yards deep scared of the deep ball. we havent really let a real strong safety loose to wreck havok since Harrison. they even used meri wrong putting him at corner then deep free safety, the only time he played well was at strong safety cuz hes an enforcer thats were he should be. maybe its cuz our corners sucked and we were getting beat by the pass so much they play their safeties the way they do since harrison retired? i dunno. but gregory is so far from the answer its not funny. id welcome meri back if the pats used him right, hes an upgrade over soft ass gregory at least. or get a strong safety in the draft but you said the safety class is pretty weak right?

The Senior Bowl's most impressive pass defender according to NFLDraftScout was SS Jimmie Ward.

IMO, he looked like he has better instincts than McCourty and is more physical but not a lot more.
Projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round...where McCourty should have been taken.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some logic that supports not taking a WR early. TE is a greater need if we land a quality pass catching TE and if Gronk remains healthy the two TE set takes pressure off the other pass catchers. Now I think Gronk will be okay his hit could have happened to anyone. Also BB has not had a lot of luck with WRs so why take one early? It's to risky! As much as I was disappointed with Sharon Dropson some receivers take a year or two we really need to giver her another look this year.
sharon dropson. :dhd:

you agree he would be an elite #2 though right mojo?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Herald:

It's certainly conceivable the Patriots have had internal discussions about Fitzgerald, but any potential interest has remained in-house. The Patriots have never entered any real negotiations with the Cardinals for Fitzgerald -- this year, last year, any year -- according to a source.

The Herald...
The same organization that harbors Ron Whosthatbitch?
The same organization that who's website locks up my computer, my wife's computer AND my work computer?
Yah, have a ton of faith in anything they say. Cause they're so close to Bill.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Herald...
The same organization that harbors Ron Whosthatbitch?
The same organization that who's website locks up my computer, my wife's computer AND my work computer?
Yah, have a ton of faith in anything they say. Cause they're so close to Bill.

I think the report is probably accurate. This is the first year when it's likely enough that the cards move Fitz to be worth more than very cursory exploration.

If they have had no external discussions about it, that really doesn't mean much right now. Not that I'm saying they'll acquire him, mind, just that I think the report is technically accurate but misleading.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During his late October 2013 suspension, Meriweather made comments to the press about how he would need to change his style of play. "I guess I just got to take people's knees out. That's the only way. I would hate to end a guy's career over a rule, but I guess it's better other people than me getting suspended for longer. You just have to go low now, man. You've got to end people's careers. You got to tear people's ACLs and mess up people's knees. You can't hit them high anymore."[28] He also responded to Brandon Marshall's comments towards him getting kicked out the league with "He feel like I need to be kicked out of the league? You know, I feel like people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out the league, too. So, you tell me who you’d rather have: Somebody who play aggressive on the field, or somebody who beat up their girlfriend? You know, everybody got their opinion, so that’s mine, that’s his."

in lew of gronks injury to his knee meri looks like a genius. bring the beast back home! take the chains off and let him loose. yea he may screw up some plays but at least he will knock out the eddie lacy's, james starks's, brandon marshals and ashley jefferies. we need an enforcer like kam chancellor, rodney harrison. and we had one already in meri but we ruin his career and let him go! :bawling: bring him back bb and admit your mistakes. :Cry: bring him back home where he belongs. he wont cost much and you owe it to him...

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sharon dropson. :dhd:

you agree he would be an elite #2 though right mojo?

I dunno there is potential and like I said for some WRs it takes time. And I feel he is at a disadvantage here in NE. Seems to me the offense has not changed much over the years making it easy to defend. If we had a legit # 1 yeah I suppose she could be a top notch #2

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the report is probably accurate. This is the first year when it's likely enough that the cards move Fitz to be worth more than very cursory exploration.

If they have had no external discussions about it, that really doesn't mean much right now. Not that I'm saying they'll acquire him, mind, just that I think the report is technically accurate but misleading.

I'm just saying, Curran said he had a source that sid they looked into it. They may not have looked hard, and there may not have been any chance of a deal, but I believe Curran more than I believe anybody at the Herald.