• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Clemson Recruiting Thread

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty self-explanatory. With NSD less than two weeks away, I figured now is as good of a time as any to start this up. We already have seven early enrollees that I will list below (in no order of importance):

S/DB Travis Blanks 6'1" 195 Tallahassee FL
Will most likely play special teams but can step in and contribute; most likely a strong safety.

OT Isaiah Battle 6'7" 265 St. George VA
Definite RS candidate; solid lower body, long arms but needs to add upper body bulk/strength at the college level.

WR Zac Brooks 6'2" 180 Jonesboro AR
Hand-picked prospect by OC Chad Morris; may see some time in the backfield and be used as an inside receiver. Probable RS.

OL Patrick DeStefano 6'4" 275 Roebuck SC
Fairly versatile OL prospect that can play inside or out; in Morris' system, he's likely to RS unless he has a knockout spring and summer session.

C Jay Guillermo 6'2" 287 Maryville TN
Another potential RS candidate (especially with Dalton Freeman returning), although he can play the guard position as well.

OL Oliver Jones 6'6" 320 Ninety-Six SC
Big potential right tackle or guard in college; has the size to contribute immediately.

P/K Bradley Pinion 6'5" 220 Concord NC
Most likely a punter at the college level.

Overall, I'm pretty stoked that we're getting four offensive linemen for the spring. Rebuilding the offensive line is a huge need for us going into next season, and hopefully some of these guys will pan out. Seems like we've had some bad luck with our last few OL classes and really need these guys to step in early and play well.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as I bad mouth the Scott's and their "pull" with recruits, Jeff lands us an outstanding OLB:

OLB Dorian O'Daniel Commits to Clemson - Shakin The Southland

"Dorian O'Daniel (6'1 205, 4.55 40), an Outside LB from Maryland, committed to Clemson after the Spring Game yesterday. He is currently rated a 4-star LB, #6 at his position and #37 in the Rivals100. He had offers from just about everyone in the country: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. Some of his offers came as a RB even as far back as his freshman year of HS, but he has stated a preference for LB. He was recruited by Jeff Scott.

O'Daniel is one of the two (L. Bryant being the other) LBs that I wanted Clemson to pull this cycle. He's got great speed and range due to some great hip flexibility.. He gets in the backfield and makes tackles, and can cover guys in open space. That natural coverage ability looks like a perfect fit for a WLB, though the SAM would do the same things in a 4-3 Over defense. I would not say he's a headhunter type that just craves putting a hit on someone, but he does take good angles in the film we've seen and wraps up.

With 4 LBs in a class that should not have taken more than 2, Clemson could call it a day at LB in this cycle, and should if they intend to keep all 4 of the current commits at the position."

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wayne Gallman Commits (RB)

Wayne Gallman Commits to Clemson - Shakin The Southland

"RB Wayne Gallman (6’1, 198, 4.5 40) from Grayson HS in Loganville GA committed to Clemson this morning over offers from Auburn, Georgia Tech, Georgia, SC, and Vandy. He’s rated a high 3-star by Rivals and a low 4 by others. He’s a teammate of 5-star DE Robert Nkemdiche. He was recruited by Tony Elliott.

I’m perfectly fine with this take and think the services have him about right stars based on his straight ahead speed. Gallman is a bigger back, more of an upright, 1-cut and downhill runner in the mold of Raymond Priester rather than James Davis. He’s not afraid of contact, unlike Jamie Harper. He’ll hit the hole and fall forward. We stated a couple weeks ago that it looks like The Chad wants to gear his RB recruiting for this cycle towards some bigger guys that can be powerful inside and also block, and he fits that mold. In college he’ll likely put on another 15lbs at least.

He’s spent significant time at OLB as well and if he doesn’t work out at RB here, then expect to see him moved over. His film there looks better to me than RB, but Auburn did also offer as a RB. Georgia is recruiting him to play both positions.

Clemson will take at least one more RB in this cycle. The thinking is that this commitment might entice one of our other targets to quickly jump on board."

Last edited by a moderator:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Boulware (MLB)

"Ben Boulware (6'2 230, 4.7 40), from TL Hanna HS in Anderson, committed to Clemson tonight, primarily over UGA. He had over a dozen offers from around the southeast, and will likely be ranked outside the Top 10 in-state. He's currently rated a 3-star prospect by most of the services. His brother Garrett is a freshman on the baseball team.

I don't have as big a problem with Boulware's film as I do with him being taken here. His film is comparable to BJ Goodson's, so that is not the problem. He's the 3rd LB commitment and I see no reason why Clemson should take a 3rd LB of this caliber, when the other 2 are already projects and we are in the lead group for other better players like Bryant and O'Daniel. Venables has been around the southeast still personally offering LBs too. We have 11 on scholarship (counting Burrell), lose 2 this fall, and could carry 12, but why do we need 12 when we're still going to play so much Nickel? Clemson shouldn't take a 4th LB here unless they project either Greenlee or McDonald to fail to qualify or decommit. While McDonald was somewhat shaky in an interview recently, I don't see him being offered by anyone far better, certainly not FSU or Florida. I think we all know Greenlee isn't decommitting since his dad works for Batson.

Its not like Venables has really had time to fairly evaluate what he has on campus now either, because we've only had a handful of practices thus far, so its not that we intend to take a bunch to run off what we've got now. We're not even through a week of install.

I have spoken to several avid fans of TL Hanna and they are not as impressed with Boulware as a long-termer. While he's exceptionally strong, and is not shy of contact like Goodson, he's put on enough weight that he's noticably slowed on the field. I was shocked UGA officially offered and pursued heavily, especially with what they could get in-state, but consider that they are planning to take 4 ILBs in their class and can reach a little.

Clemson has filled up 5 spots of a 17-18 man class with several players who are not definite upgrades over what is on campus right now. While I like McDonald as a project, I don't see the rest as truly upgrading our talent level to compete with FSU. I just do not understand what Clemson is doing with this class, considering the tighter numbers.

While he is officially listed for Chad Morris, this is more of a Jeff Scott get."