• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2009 Draft Revisited By BA

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOOKING BACK
Using the conventional wisdom that it requires five years to assess a club’s performance in any single draft year, Baseball America is offering its assessment of the 2009 draft.
The Mariners, who selected second that year, received a “B.”
“OF Dustin Ackley (1), drafted to play second base, had a productive season in 2014,” editor-in-chief John Manuel wrote, “but hasn’t lived up to No. 2 overall billing.
“His college teammate, 3B Kyle Seager (3), has made up for it a bit, while SS/2B Nick Franklin (1) and OF James Jones (4) have had their moments in Seattle.”
(The number in parenthesis identifies the round in which the player was selected.)
Six teams received higher grades than the Mariners.
The Angels, Cardinals, Diamondbacks and Nationals received an “A,” while the Blue Jays and Reds received “B-plus” grades.
The Mariners were one of four clubs to get a “B.” The others were the Rockies, Royals and Twins.
Three clubs received an “F:” the Dodgers, Orioles and Rays.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafts like that is where I wish MLB was like the other sports where you can trade picks. The M's got 3 middle infielders with picks where instead of Ackley they could've traded back and got (I think Trout was in that draft) while still picking up Seager and Franklin.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Not allowing them to trade because they don't trust owners from trading away their futures to bigger clubs is redic. Trout was there and they still had the chance at him if they (Jack) didn't sign Fields at the last minute. They would have gotten back the pick just ahead of the Angels. And even worse, Jack said they liked Trout before the draft, but not at #2 but could have had him at 20 or 21 if they didn't sign a freakin reliever from another GM's draft.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought I heard about McNammara (sp) loving Trout but there isn't a real reason to justify taking Trout at number 2. Trading back and getting him around 10 or so, possibly. Ackley was a great prospect and everyone wanted him but with a top 5 pick IMO you need to be drafted at a minimum of a projected 4 tool position player or an projected ace.

There just doesn't seem to be a reason to justify not allowing if they are only allow to trade picks. It's not like they need to open it up where the a big payroll club can buy the number 1 pick just offer a couple of picks. What is really the difference with that and how they have set up the trade deadline to allow playoff teams to poach bad teams? As of now the system isn't really set up for parody as teams are scared to draft for higher ceilings because they are obligated with salary slots. It makes sense for the MLB and MLBPA to change it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preaching to the choir.

:suds:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems with all the talk of making baseball more "contemporary" that is a concession I don't think old school guys should really be upset about. It allows for interest in the draft, with baseball becoming more and more regional it seems that allowing exposure for all franchises would only help.