• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) San Antonio Spurs vs 7) Memphis Grizzlies

ChrisWebber

Changed my password to "incorrect"
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see Manu joined the series for at least one game

After scoring zero points in the first four games, he was pretty decent and flashed some of the old Manu.

Maybe it was only one game, but it will still good for the home fans to see him play well in what is his last go-around in the league.

I still remember his nice flowing hair.. he looks like a dead corpse out there.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kawhi is like the anti-Kobe.

I get that people like to compare current players to past greats. The truth is, there is nobody I can think of who played quite like Kawhi.

He is an all world wing defender and a super efficient scorer on low volume. He isn't particularly great at creating for others, but he is completely selfless. Seriously, I can't think of a single comp that translates perfectly. Maybe there is one, but I can't find it. Perhaps a better defensive James Worthy is the closest? Still, I think that is a bit of a stretch.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get that people like to compare current players to past greats. The truth is, there is nobody I can think of who played quite like Kawhi.

He is an all world wing defender and a super efficient scorer on low volume. He isn't particularly great at creating for others, but he is completely selfless. Seriously, I can't think of a single comp that translates perfectly. Maybe there is one, but I can't find it. Perhaps a better defensive James Worthy is the closest? Still, I think that is a bit of a stretch.

Kawhi is the combination of Jordan and Pippen with a 3 point shot. Truth.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Pippen is a pretty good comparison.

People will probably get caught up on the fact that its Pippen, who is forever linked as Jordan's sidekick, but aside from all of that, I think its a good comparison. Pippen was a better playmaker by the time he hit his prime, but Kawhi has time to work on that.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parker, Mills, Leonard, Aldridge, Lee

Who would have guessed that would be the lineup that really opened things up.

I dont think Pop played them like that all season, but they were the dominant force in the big runs.

Maybe not the best defensive group to play for long stretches, but it was a very effective and frustrating offensive unit for Memphis to handle.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pippen is a pretty good comparison.

People will probably get caught up on the fact that its Pippen, who is forever linked as Jordan's sidekick, but aside from all of that, I think its a good comparison. Pippen was a better playmaker by the time he hit his prime, but Kawhi has time to work on that.

Pippen was a point forward though. Kawhi is a much better scorer. Defensively they are very comparable, but on the offensive side, they are about as much different as Westbrook and Curry.

Like I said, I am not sure there is a direct comp.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs Rockets next round looks to be set with the Spurs up 4 with 33 seconds left. I'm giddy.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis shooting 15 to 1 freethrow advantage in non-intentional late attempts in the 4th.

Spurs then shot 4 late game ones when MEM was forced to foul.

I guess Fizdale wont be whining after this one.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight was a justification for resting Westbrook.
Conlley & Gasol did not rest at the start of 4qtr....while Pop rested Kawahi and parker for 3 min.

Memphis built a little 4th quarter lead (up 7), but they were gassed down the stretch.
Pop trusted that they could get the lead back with fresh legs even if they lost a little.

Those tired legs could not stop the Parker/Leonard attack late because they never got that rest early.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis shooting 15 to 1 freethrow advantage in non-intentional late attempts in the 4th.

Spurs then shot 4 late game ones when MEM was forced to foul.

I guess Fizdale wont be whining after this one.

Looked like he got most of his whining done during the game anyway.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turned out to be a really entertaining series. Left feeling impressed by the Grizz, amazed at Kawhi, a new fan of Fizdale, and underwhelmed by the Spurs.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turned out to be a really entertaining series. Left feeling impressed by the Grizz, amazed at Kawhi, a new fan of Fizdale, and underwhelmed by the Spurs.

Yeah, the series was much better than most of us thought. Especially after the first 2 games. The Grizz showed some toughness (and why their arena is called The Grindhouse) in this series.

I thought the Grizz looked good and I liked Fizdale's attitude. As for the Spurs, it was 1st round Spurs. Seems like they struggle in the first round more times than not.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
memphis has the 2nd longest playoff streak.
They are led by 3 stars in Gasol, Randolph, and Conley who have played countless playoff games together.

They have played in the Conference Finals together with that core group.
This wasn't some cobbled together squad of young players making the playoffs for the first time

The Spurs really only played poorly in one game after going up 2-0 with two easy double digit wins.
Sometimes teams do that after going up 2-0, they check out a bit in game #3 which is a human reaction.

Memphis hit a last second buzzer beater in game 4, or its a 4-1 gentlemen sweep

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
memphis has the 2nd longest playoff streak.
They are led by 3 stars in Gasol, Randolph, and Conley who have played countless playoff games together.

They have played in the Conference Finals together with that core group.
This wasn't some cobbled together squad of young players making the playoffs for the first time

The Spurs really only played poorly in one game after going up 2-0 with two easy double digit wins.
Sometimes teams do that after going up 2-0, they check out a bit in game #3 which is a human reaction.

Memphis hit a last second buzzer beater in game 4, or its a 4-1 gentlemen sweep

This is some good, fair perspective. I also feel like the Grizz just happen to be a particularly tough matchup for the Spurs.