• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st Round Pick?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yes, there is no dire need for a LB, but pass rushers are hard to come by yet KEY for defenses. so if you have a chance at a 3 down OLB....with pass rush skills.....don't hesitate.

he might sit for most of 2015, but chit happens fast in the NFL. Who knows if Bowman comes back near 100% who knows if Aldon doesn't get injured? Who knows if Willis' cap hit/age is too large the following season? in 2016 who knows what the cap hits might bring? what deteriorating skills age brings?

This is only true if the Niners remain in a 3-4 defensive alignment. Rumor has it that they are switching to 4-3.. Therefore, DL help is more more a priority...

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think WR is just too big of a need. Even if we go 4-3 and Justin Smith retires, we're looking at probably Aldon Smith, Glen Dorsey, Ian Williams, and Aaron Lynch as the DL. That's not a bad line at all with Quinton Dial, Tank Carradine, and TJE as the backups or guys fighting for a starting DT spot. Hell that's a B grade line right and could go much higher if all those guys play to their potential which I would doubt.

At WR assuming Crab is gone we're looking at Stevie Johnson, Boldin, Ellington, and Patton. That looks average to slightly above average at best unless Ellington or Patton breakout. If we cut Stevie Johnson to save cap space then that WR corp looks pretty thin. Plus we all know it seems like every year our WR corp has injuries.

To me if Cooper (doubtful), Parker or White are there I say grab them. I think we can wait till 2nd round for a corner, especially if we resign Cox or Culliver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is only true if the Niners remain in a 3-4 defensive alignment. Rumor has it that they are switching to 4-3.. Therefore, DL help is more more a priority...

yeah ok, if they switch to 4-3 then less emphasis on an OLB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think WR is just too big of a need. Even if we go 4-3 and Justin Smith retires, we're looking at probably Aldon Smith, Glen Dorsey, Ian Williams, and Aaron Lynch as the DL. That's not a bad line at all with Quinton Dial, Tank Carradine, and TJE as the backups or guys fighting for a starting DT spot. Hell that's a B grade line right and could go much higher if all those guys play to their potential which I would doubt.

At WR assuming Crab is gone we're looking at Stevie Johnson, Boldin, Ellington, and Patton. That looks average to slightly above average at best unless Ellington or Patton breakout. If we cut Stevie Johnson to save cap space then that WR corp looks pretty thin. Plus we all know it seems like every year our WR corp has injuries.

To me if Cooper (doubtful), Parker or White are there I say grab them. I think we can wait till 2nd round for a corner, especially if we resign Cox or Culliver.

WR IS a big need, and I already posted as such. So just saying even if we don't go WR, the next look should be a pass rusher.

in the larger picture, drafting isn't based on the next season (ie how you line up current players for 2015), but on obtaining the most talent for the next four five years (at least).

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That starting alignment for a 4-3 does not fly... Aaron is more OLB than DE, he needs to bulk up if he is to play DE... Dorsey and Willimas are more of run stoppers and have not shown the abilty to get to the QB up the middle... The Niners need another DT to apply inside pressure. Starting DE's will likely be Aldon and Tank... With Dial and TJE in rotation...

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That starting alignment for a 4-3 does not fly... Aaron is more OLB than DE, he needs to bulk up if he is to play DE... Dorsey and Willimas are more of run stoppers and have not shown the abilty to get to the QB up the middle... The Niners need another DT to apply inside pressure. Starting DE's will likely be Aldon and Tank... With Dial and TJE in rotation...

Aldon is 6'4 265 and Lynch is 6'5 270. I would say both are pretty much the same build. It might be hard for both going from OLB to DE.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon is 6'4 265 and Lynch is 6'5 270. I would say both are pretty much the same build. It might be hard for both going from OLB to DE.

what are typical sizes for NFL DE's anyway? If these are too light, it can't be that much lighter can it?

I would not rush them into gaining weight "just because", keep your speed and agility for 'obvious' passing downs. If anything, they can use other linemen for 1st downs (some 2nd) on occasion. ie rotate everyone IF it becomes necessary?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind draft White. I really think it depends on J. Smith. If he retires we might need to draft that DT/DE type player. I also think with in the 1st 3 rds we need to draft a TE. I wouldn't might drafting that TE from Mich in the 2nd rd.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind draft White. I really think it depends on J. Smith. If he retires we might need to draft that DT/DE type player. I also think with in the 1st 3 rds we need to draft a TE. I wouldn't might drafting that TE from Mich in the 2nd rd.

Yeah if Funchess falls to us in the 2nd round I would take him. But I think the Pats will prolly draft him in the 1st round. Pats loving having 2 good TEs.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who do you want to see the 49ers draft with the 1st pick. Mel Kiper has us taking either White or Parker.

Im ok with those options but as a sleeper pick and maybe we can trade back to get more picks is drafting WR Beckham. I really think his ceiling is higher then any WR on the board.

Beckham is my top pick at the moment.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beckham is my top pick at the moment.

Same for me! Even tho he had a lot of problems at Missouri its hard to pass on a 6'6 WR with speed who is compared to Mega. If he is still on the board and we pass on him I think we will be kicking ourselves for not taking him. Dez had problems when he came out of college and he fell in the draft but he has matured a lot and look at him now. To me Dez is a top 3 WR in the NFL.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same for me! Even tho he had a lot of problems at Missouri its hard to pass on a 6'6 WR with speed who is compared to Mega. If he is still on the board and we pass on him I think we will be kicking ourselves for not taking him. Dez had problems when he came out of college and he fell in the draft but he has matured a lot and look at him now. To me Dez is a top 3 WR in the NFL.

..and Dez is a FA this year. :whistle:

Not that the 9ers could afford him.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..and Dez is a FA this year. :whistle:

Not that the 9ers could afford him.

Yeah Dez is staying for sure even if they have to franchise tag him. It sounds like Murray will be the player to leave.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Dez is staying for sure even if they have to franchise tag him. It sounds like Murray will be the player to leave.

Dallas has a very good OL and they figure they can put Randle behind that and he would be productive. But I think Dallas will find a way to keep both. WR is definitely a position of need and I hope the Niners address it in the first round. Beckham will fill that void.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a great WR class in this market. I want Cobb or Maclin. Home run would be to sign WR Thomas or TE Thomas from Denver. If we land the TE we can trade VD. WR Thomas is looking for BIG money so I think he is out of the picture. Landing Cobb or Maclin would give us that speed guy that we can do a lot with plus deep threat.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a great WR class in this market. I want Cobb or Maclin. Home run would be to sign WR Thomas or TE Thomas from Denver. If we land the TE we can trade VD. WR Thomas is looking for BIG money so I think he is out of the picture. Landing Cobb or Maclin would give us that speed guy that we can do a lot with plus deep threat.

Yeah im down with going for Julius. The only thing is the Broncos are 31 million under the cap. They should be able to sign DT and JT easy and have money for other guys. But if we trade VD we save 5 million out of his 7 million and I would offer JT a deal like 4 years 32 million.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah im down with going for Julius. The only thing is the Broncos are 31 million under the cap. They should be able to sign DT and JT easy and have money for other guys. But if we trade VD we save 5 million out of his 7 million and I would offer JT a deal like 4 years 32 million.

I don't know how much trade value VD has after last season. I could see Broncos signing both Thomas'. They are an integral part of their offense. Julius Thomas is a top 5 TE, maybe even top 3. They don't come along too often.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much trade value VD has after last season. I could see Broncos signing both Thomas'. They are an integral part of their offense. Julius Thomas is a top 5 TE, maybe even top 3. They don't come along too often.

Bet we can trade him to Bills or Washington.