• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1995 Seattle Mariners

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the video tribute before the fireworks show at the M's game last night, I had an interesting thought:

Is there a team that is more beloved by its fanbase than the 1995 Seattle Mariners?

Here we are, nearly 20 years later, and I was able to name the entire starting lineup, batting order, the pitching rotation and who was in the bullpen (at least most of them). If asking an M's fan who their favorite player in M's history was, a disproportionate number of the answers would be members of that team. I gave my dad a copy of "My Oh My" a couple years ago for Christmas and he still has a VCR just so he can watch that 1 tape.

Just a thought that I thought was very interesting.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 01 team doesn't sniff the 95 team's jock. Without 95 there would be no 2001 Mariners because the fan base literally didn't care. At least the Sonic fans cared enough to attempt to keep the team, prior to the last season run in 95 there wouldn't have been an outcry had they moved to Tampa like they were going to.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the same way about the 04 Red Sox. I can remember almost everything about the roster. I me coming back from 3-0 vs the YANKEES and then to win the WS was just crazy. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main reason why the 1995 season is so beloved by the Mariners is because due to the team's terrible performance the past decade the team needs something to show on it's highlight reels. Until the Mariners actually start winning we will hear about the 1995 season forever.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main reason why the 1995 season is so beloved by the Mariners is because due to the team's terrible performance the past decade the team needs something to show on it's highlight reels. Until the Mariners actually start winning we will hear about the 1995 season forever.

I also think that they allowed the fans to actually get a connection with them. I did not personally know any of them, but there were several who would come on clinics for young players to teach them. And afterwards actually had fun Q and A's and just that interaction made you feel like you could succeed in baseball. I could barely understand him but Felix Ferman really gave solid insights on how to be a good SS.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That team is still memorable all these years later because it was the first playoff team in franchise history, but more importantly, it epitomized the "team effort" concept. Losing a player of Junior's caliber probably would have sunk most teams, but between Edgar, Buhner and RJ leading by example, players like Strange and Sojo and Tino stepping up their games in clutch moments, and management actually making moves to bolster the roster... they managed to gain enough ground in the meantime that having Griffey back in the mix was akin to a team trading for a Hall of Famer for the stretch run and given the extent of his injury, it was remarkable that he was able to play as well as he did when he did come back.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That team is still memorable all these years later because it was the first playoff team in franchise history, but more importantly, it epitomized the "team effort" concept. Losing a player of Junior's caliber probably would have sunk most teams, but between Edgar, Buhner and RJ leading by example, players like Strange and Sojo and Tino stepping up their games in clutch moments, and management actually making moves to bolster the roster... they managed to gain enough ground in the meantime that having Griffey back in the mix was akin to a team trading for a Hall of Famer for the stretch run and given the extent of his injury, it was remarkable that he was able to play as well as he did when he did come back.

There's also the completely dramatic way that they came back from 17 games down late in the season and the dramatic series against the Yankees. That double by Edgar to end the Yankee series really defined what the team was for the last half of the season.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also the completely dramatic way that they came back from 17 games down late in the season and the dramatic series against the Yankees. That double by Edgar to end the Yankee series really defined what the team was for the last half of the season.

Exactly.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, and Chuck and Howie love it. Things going bad for the past decade? Don't worry, just show them clips of 95 and 01 and give away a bunch of 95 and 01 crap at games, and people will show up!

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, and Chuck and Howie love it. Things going bad for the past decade? Don't worry, just show them clips of 95 and 01 and give away a bunch of 95 and 01 crap at games, and people will show up!
or fireworks :lame:

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome Says Zero Camper. Hope your stay here is long and fruitful!

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it was 13 games back, but regardless, it was awesome. Tied to finish the season with the Angels and had a one game playoff to get to the playoffs.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Says Zero Camper. Hope your stay here is long and fruitful!

Hello there.

I was cezero for about 10 years on ESPN before having the 2 new ones the past 2 years.

If you remember right, my name last year was various phonetic variations of cezero....Cezzie Roe and such. That's why people started calling me just Roe.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG ^^^ My first ban on ESPN was because of this poster.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats why the 95 team will always be the favorite. The 01 team was good, but they came up real short, they know it and fans know it. Balitmore took them the distance in the Divisional playoffs, and they had nothing left for the Yanks series....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When?

And do you hold a grudge?

I guess a couple of years ago. Mariners sucked as usual and you were posting a bunch of times a day hating on them. Calling yourself a "real" fan for calling them out (On a forum?). So I started posting ...spam after each of your post.

Do I hold a grudge? Mmmm I guess not if you have changed your ways.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a couple of years ago. Mariners sucked as usual and you were posting a bunch of times a day hating on them. Calling yourself a "real" fan for calling them out (On a forum?). So I started posting ...spam after each of your post.

Do I hold a grudge? Mmmm I guess not if you have changed your ways.

I only recently did, to be honest with you; but I plan on not going to the dark side while I'm here.