• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

18 Game Proposal (Not My Suggestion)

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Money, money, money, money. Billionaires can just never get enough of it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
screw the 18 game sh*t.... keep it as is at 16....

Agreed.

The 18-game schedule is probably inevitable though.

Depth is probably going to be a bigger concern for teams than it was in the past. Good drafting in the later rounds will be even more important too.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

The 18-game schedule is probably inevitable though.

Depth is probably going to be a bigger concern for teams than it was in the past. Good drafting in the later rounds will be even more important too.

if that's the case, the 53-man must be expanded IMHO.... still don't want it but that fucking 53 better go up....

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Like I was sayin':
Leading Off: NFL's greed puts its players in jeopardy
By Victor Contreras
[email protected]
Published: Wednesday, Sep. 25, 2013 - 12:00 am | Page 1C
Last Modified: Wednesday, Sep. 25, 2013 - 12:32 am

Whenever Roger Goodell decides to step down as NFL commissioner, he'd probably like to be remembered for making the league safer for its players and more lucrative for its owners.

But in football, you can't punt the ball and keep it, too.

If Goodell really had the best interest of the NFL's players, the 49ers and Rams would not play Thursday night – four short days after punishing losses in which both teams suffered key injuries.

In addition, Goodell and his 32 fat-cat owners would also forget about adding two games to the regular season, which they are reportedly continuing to push for quietly behind closed doors.

The short week and call for extra games, of course, do nothing for the players other than put their health at risk.

Generations of players have said it takes at least three to four days before their bodies fully recover from a Sunday afternoon game. So why play Thursday night games, which are usually filled with sloppy play and tired players who are at great risk for injury?

Why? So the NFL's cable network can rake in the dough, of course.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin case no one read the article because the idea is obvious in getting the league more money: The idea was to allow players to play only 16 games but have 18 games on the schedule. So you have to choose which players to play in each game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The idea was to allow players to play only 16 games but have 18 games on the schedule. So you have to choose which players to play in each game.

No, I didn't read that part. That would make it even more necessary to have more than 53 players on the roster. And it would completely change the dynamics of the regular season. I don't like the idea at all, but it's coming. :lame:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a guy call into a radio show with a good idea on how to expand the season with still only playing 16 games each team. I wish I still knew the details, but it had something to do with each team getting 2 bye weeks and the revenue sharing from the NFL and TV deals would still make everyone money.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a guy call into a radio show with a good idea on how to expand the season with still only playing 16 games each team. I wish I still knew the details, but it had something to do with each team getting 2 bye weeks and the revenue sharing from the NFL and TV deals would still make everyone money.

2 bye weeks at least would have to happen. They could start the season earlier and do a break in the middle as well for all teams, but that is unlikely due to TV revenue. Start in mid August and do a 1 week break for all teams after the first 8 games with each team getting 1 bye during that time. That's 9 solid weeks of football before a basically a 2 week break. Then come back and do the same thing again. 9 weeks, 8 games per team with 1 bye per team. That ends up being just over 4 months of regular season football. The players would have to play 2 extra games, but they get far more time off during the season to rest injuries and stay healthy.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This push for 18 games feels to me like it is related to the NFL's desire for a team in England.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This push for 18 games feels to me like it is related to the NFL's desire for a team in England.

A team in England would completely screw things up. That's the worst idea I've heard since moving up the kickoff.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's a stab in the dark on what that caller's idea might have been - the big bucks come from television and there are only so many time slots to be marketed. If they added a bye week to the 16 game schedule (note: not talking about 18) then they could stagger the byes in a certain manner that rather than having the Seattle at San Francisco game or the Green Bay at Minnesota (in the future if they ever become any good) game, they could have both.

There would be 18 or 19 weeks of games theoretically - and thus more Monday Night football and Sunday Night football games.

I have not worked this out mathematically, so there's a chance that 2 byes would not create more weeks if every team takes turns in a certain way.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team in England would completely screw things up. That's the worst idea I've heard since moving up the kickoff.

I've been watching a few games online via British webstreams and it's pretty easy to tell that a London team is more 'when' than 'if' at this point. They're pimping "American Football" HARD.

But I agree with you.