• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’ a correlation between how long a player takes to throw and how high an average time to sack they have. Wilson not only leads the league in time to throw but also in average time to sack. That’s not going to help the Seahawks offensive line look better in much the same way as Alex Smith (second highest time to sack) and Michael Vick don’t help theirs.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

Alex Smith is 5th in amount of seconds to throw and 2nd in amount of seconds for a sack.

I don't know if I like how PFF presents their info in this one and there are a lot of other factors to consider, but it does show some things. And for the sake of asking this for the THIRD time, how exactly does Alex make the players around him better?

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

Alex Smith is 5th in amount of seconds to throw and 2nd in amount of seconds for a sack.

I don't know if I like how PFF presents their info in this one and there are a lot of other factors to consider, but it does show some things. And for the sake of asking this for the THIRD time, how exactly does Alex make the players around him better?

I think Alex does a very good job of getting the right play called in response to what D he is seeing on the field. So he gets his guys in positions to succeed. He's completing 70% of his passes so obviously he's giving his guys a very good chance to make plays too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex does a very good job of getting the right play called in response to what D he is seeing on the field. So he gets his guys in positions to succeed. He's completing 70% of his passes so obviously he's giving his guys a very good chance to make plays too.

Vernon Davis is a freak as to how good he is, but his numbers are better with Alex than it was with Shaun Hill and Troy Smith (Crabtree was a higher producer with Troy). Part of that is Davis maturing as a player and part of that is him as a security blanket for Smith, but Smith does get it to Davis, last few games notwithstanding. I won't claim he makes Davis better as a player but he does increase his production a bit. I don't have much of a sample size, just comparing Hill's 2009 vs Smith's 2009 and Troy's 2010 and Smith's 2010. 2011 was all Smith, so I can't compare QBs in the same system.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I didn't want t' start a new Alex thread...

I just wanna say: you know the throw Kaep made to Manningham on that 20 yard out? Alex Smith is physically incapable of making that throw.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I didn't want t' start a new Alex thread...

I just wanna say: you know the throw Kaep made to Manningham on that 20 yard out? Alex Smith is physically incapable of making that throw.

There are so many things Kaep does that Alex can't even dream of doing. The physical difference between the two is astonishing.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tie sucks, our defense just looked not very good, but I was impressed with the way Kap played in the 2nd half, shaking off the first half, coming in spur of the moment, he played from behind and but for an Akers miss would have pulled out a win (I understand the Rams could say the same thing, but still). So much of the game is mental and we knew Kap had the physical tools, but to lead a scoring drive to tie in the final 1:30 I thought was pretty damn good and gives me hope for the future. Any disagreements on that?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree The drive to put us at a tie was a good test that he passed

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are so many things Kaep does that Alex can't even dream of doing. The physical difference between the two is astonishing.

there's no doubt about that. but can kap manage the offense at this point in his career? his first career start against the bears is gonna be a tough test.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Smith plays on MNF. It will be Kaepernick's time to shine...

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tie sucks, our defense just looked not very good, but I was impressed with the way Kap played in the 2nd half, shaking off the first half, coming in spur of the moment, he played from behind and but for an Akers miss would have pulled out a win (I understand the Rams could say the same thing, but still). So much of the game is mental and we knew Kap had the physical tools, but to lead a scoring drive to tie in the final 1:30 I thought was pretty damn good and gives me hope for the future. Any disagreements on that?

As long as he tucks the ball in when he takes off I think he can do good things for this team. Not sure if he is ready to start full time right now, so I would still go with Smith, but looking ahead to next year.... give him the ball.

I think I have been pulling for Smith because he is a likeable guy and he has had to deal with so much but I am at the point now where I am over that. Every week I see some rookie or second year guy going out there and tossing the ball around for 300 yds and a couple TD's. Part of it is our offense, but that happens once a year for Smith. I get that those guys are turning it over more often...but look at the Saints. They turn the ball over 4 times and still manage to score 35. To me it is clear that Harbaugh is never going to open the offense up with Smith. He may never do it with anybody, but at least put someone back there that he trusts enough to try and get the ball downfield.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's no doubt about that. but can kap manage the offense at this point in his career? his first career start against the bears is gonna be a tough test.

Naturally he's gonna throw down the field more, so that's gonna lead to more INTs, but he'll also make more plays. Just depends on what you're looking for at this point, I guess.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he tucks the ball in when he takes off I think he can do good things for this team. Not sure if he is ready to start full time right now, so I would still go with Smith, but looking ahead to next year.... give him the ball.

I think I have been pulling for Smith because he is a likeable guy and he has had to deal with so much but I am at the point now where I am over that. Every week I see some rookie or second year guy going out there and tossing the ball around for 300 yds and a couple TD's. Part of it is our offense, but that happens once a year for Smith. I get that those guys are turning it over more often...but look at the Saints. They turn the ball over 4 times and still manage to score 35. To me it is clear that Harbaugh is never going to open the offense up with Smith. He may never do it with anybody, but at least put someone back there that he trusts enough to try and get the ball downfield.

Harbaugh wasn't conservative at Stanford. Of course he did have Andrew Luck.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh wasn't conservative at Stanford. Of course he did have Andrew Luck.

That's true. And that was without nearly as many weapons as the Niners have on offense. With a QB who can consistently get the ball downfield this team is easily a Superbowl favorite. The offense could make up for when the defense shits the bed like yesterday.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally he's gonna throw down the field more, so that's gonna lead to more INTs, but he'll also make more plays. Just depends on what you're looking for at this point, I guess.

if kap can give us a 2:1 ratio that would be amazing. most 1st time starters end up 1:1 at best which would put our d in some bad spots.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i believe harbaugh cost luck a heisman.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if kap can give us a 2:1 ratio that would be amazing. most 1st time starters end up 1:1 at best which would put our d in some bad spots.

I think if you count the rushing TDs, it'll be better than 2:1.