• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zach Parise

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I were Lou, which I'm not, I would sign Zpar right now. He's got nothing else to do but listen to offers, and it could certainly help to settle the fan base down a bit. Furthermore, the Devils definitely might have lucked out with the injury timing in terms of his contract. Might help drive down the cap hit by a bit. Maybe 500k. That combined with the news that the players want to initiate the 5% inflater on the cap means we could see a 3M increase in the cap for next season. A minor miracle for the Devils. In fact, a Zpar cap hit of 7M is actually quite manageable and actually incredibly comfortable if they can peddle off Rolston with 1 year left.. although that's unlikely.

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Lou, which I'm not, I would sign Zpar right now. He's got nothing else to do but listen to offers, and it could certainly help to settle the fan base down a bit. Furthermore, the Devils definitely might have lucked out with the injury timing in terms of his contract. Might help drive down the cap hit by a bit. Maybe 500k. That combined with the news that the players want to initiate the 5% inflater on the cap means we could see a 3M increase in the cap for next season. A minor miracle for the Devils. In fact, a Zpar cap hit of 7M is actually quite manageable and actually incredibly comfortable if they can peddle off Rolston with 1 year left.. although that's unlikely.

Don't want to stray away from the Zpar part of this thread but this 3M increase I think comes from the fact that:

1. the Cad$ is doing well against the U.S.$ so that helps
2. the Canadian teams always do well to generate revenues and this is helping the NHL look better than it really is

If you look at it, Bettman has a business model that isn't really working as there are a handfull of teams that are struggling (not showing profit & trouble getting fans out).
They have to address the farse that goes on with the Islanders...I mean to inflate Weight's salary with more than generous bonuses, holding off on putting players on IR just to stay at the floor of the cap is crazy.
Nashville will have Shea Weber gone next year because they won't be able to match the offers for him due to team funds since he is an RFA at the end of the year.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good information all around. And I agree that I would talk to Zach now...that is of course if he even wants to talk.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should talk to him now, but do we have a policy of not talking about contracts during the season?

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you're right, but it is not like we have anything else going on right now...

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have our policies, that may not mean much to most people but it means alot to me. I think we broke one of them by putting a player (Kovy) before the good of the team and look how thats working out.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We should talk to him now, but do we have a policy of not talking about contracts during the season?

Lou does generally operate under that policy, but has broken it on one occasion that I can remember. That was with Marty, and Lou knows what he has in Parise and I don't think he'll waste his chance to get him done early.

Furthermore, Parise said all pre-season that he was willing to discuss a contract early, and Lou said all along that Parise is of the utmost concern.

Also the cap is going to go up because the league is making out extremely well in playoff ratings and this winter classic is going to put them over the top, and then they'll get a massive national tv contract.