• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your top 10 best video games of all time

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If y'all don't have Galaga on yer list, then your soul is missing a piece.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If y'all don't have Galaga on yer list, then your soul is missing a piece.

Gala was ok, but got old in about 2 seconds.

Heck, two of the games I probably spent the longest playing when I was young were Atari baseball (hit the ball over second base and it is a HR) and Air, Sea, Battle. Greatness.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Space Invaders
Pong
Galaga
Pac-Man
Ms Pac-Man
Battleship

And that's all I ever played.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go home Clayton, you drunk.

BL2, while awesome, can't hold a match to BL1. The guns are worse, the special skills are watered down, the enemy bosses are pushovers but they kind of have to be since the guns all suck unless you have one of the three orange guns that can actually kill something, the enemies scaling up to always be 2 levels higher than your current level destroys the ability to go back later and clear all the side missions. Add to that the fact that BL2 is modeled after WoW (admitted by the creator) so that you have to farm bosses thousands of times to get the item you are hoping to have dropped...just makes it less fun.
And here is my counter:

1. Borderlands 2 has better graphics
2. Borderlands 2 has a better story. BL1 ripped its exact story off an RPG
3. Borderlands 2 has a wider variety of enemies

4. Borderlands 2 has more balanced guns. You ever used a rocket launcher in BL1? Of course not. You ever use any of the grenades other than Transfusion grenades? Of course not.

5. Borderlands 2 had better character design. This is the big issue with BL1. Roland sucked hard at higher levels. Mordecai had a semi decent pistol build, one semi decent sniper build and one abusive autopilot turbobird build but sucked at higher levels. Brick was total trash because rockets were bad with the exception of one build that could abuse SMGs if there were a lot of mooks to kill. Siren was godmode. You almost had to try to die with her. Meanwhile, every character in BL2 is interesting and strong save maybe the Mechromancer.

6. Borderlands 2 had a much better endgame and much better DLCs. There was only 1 epic boss in all of Borderlands 1. There was also only one DLC that was worthwhile: the zombies one. Granted, that is one of the best DLCs for any game but the rest are alright at best. Each Borderlands 2 DLC has an epic boss and the D&D inspired one is very well done.

I do agree that the way they did the farming for Orange weapons was a little silly. They'll need to work on that a tad for the sequel, imo. Not sure where you are getting 'better weapons' in BL1, though.

I have about 350+ hours on BL2 and about 150+ hours on BL1 for whatever thats worth. Im definitely a fan

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of hours played, I probably have more time on the original Mario Brothers than anything.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is my counter:

1. Borderlands 2 has better graphics
2. Borderlands 2 has a better story. BL1 ripped its exact story off an RPG
3. Borderlands 2 has a wider variety of enemies

4. Borderlands 2 has more balanced guns. You ever used a rocket launcher in BL1? Of course not. You ever use any of the grenades other than Transfusion grenades? Of course not.

5. Borderlands 2 had better character design. This is the big issue with BL1. Roland sucked hard at higher levels. Mordecai had a semi decent pistol build, one semi decent sniper build and one abusive autopilot turbobird build but sucked at higher levels. Brick was total trash because rockets were bad with the exception of one build that could abuse SMGs if there were a lot of mooks to kill. Siren was godmode. You almost had to try to die with her. Meanwhile, every character in BL2 is interesting and strong save maybe the Mechromancer.

6. Borderlands 2 had a much better endgame and much better DLCs. There was only 1 epic boss in all of Borderlands 1. There was also only one DLC that was worthwhile: the zombies one. Granted, that is one of the best DLCs for any game but the rest are alright at best. Each Borderlands 2 DLC has an epic boss and the D&D inspired one is very well done.

I do agree that the way they did the farming for Orange weapons was a little silly. They'll need to work on that a tad for the sequel, imo. Not sure where you are getting 'better weapons' in BL1, though.

I have about 350+ hours on BL2 and about 150+ hours on BL1 for whatever thats worth. Im definitely a fan

First, Mechro owns in BL2. She is by far the most overpowered. I play siren and my buddy plays mechro and we don't have any issues with anyone. The DLC's, while more numerous, are shit. Here, let me draw out how they planned every DLC in BL2:

Step 1: have the player run to the opposite side of the map
Step 2: now have them listen to a recording, then run back to the other side of the map
Step 3: time for the player to run back to the other side of the map
Step 4: player has run enough, lets throw a boss at him and have him drop 4 tokens
Step 5: now require 600 tokens to buy a shitty gun

Rinse and repeat to the tune of $10 a pop. Luckily there are ways to farm those "one kill a day" drops or exploit slot machines to load up on torgue tokens.

The better weapons on BL1 are because they were better. No, no one used rockets or many grenades. I don't use rockets in BL2 either. I haven't found one that can keep up with the double unkempt...so why bother. That is all I use. I never needed grenades except to jump over walls we weren't intended to jump over. However, my hellfire with siren owned everything. How about explosive sniper rifles? Those kicked ass, so they took em out of Bl2 for some stupid reason.

I'm not saying BL2 sucks, I have played many MANY hours on it. However, I still prefer the 1st one.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah, that's like saying steak shits all over 80/20 ground beef!

MAG was marketed as the next SOCOM, and they missed the mark massively. Then they stopped supporting it before it even launched.

Also, enjoy it now. The servers are being taken down on Jan 28th.

It was easily the best multiplayer FPS on the market, though.

I was disappointed the community didn't get bigger, but the game itself was awesome.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was easily the best multiplayer FPS on the market, though.

I was disappointed the community didn't get bigger, but the game itself was awesome.

I think if they had marketed it better it would have been better. But myself and others were expecting it to be the next Socom. It wasn't, it was pretty good for what it was, but not socom.

Then reviews were starting to come in and they stopped supporting it all together. I'm not a big multiplayer person anyways, so it never really appealed to me. I play multiplayer, but normally always with a buddy on the same team and we do our own thing.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halo 1 (love H2-H3-Reach as well, but H1 is easily my favorite game of all-time.)
Fallout 3
GTA V
BioShock: Infinite
Crash Bandicoot 2 (first four games were awesome)
Pokemon RBY
Perfect Dark
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
CS:S
HL2

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man you can really tell people's ages by looking at these list.

I was lucky enough to see things from the start, so I struggle with giving high marks to games that are great today (or in recent years) because of technology, vs. ranking them based on their contribution to video gaming in general.

For example, the first role playing game that was incredible for its time was the Ultima series with Lord British. That started role playing for me. Sure, you can go back to the Zork days of text only role playing, but Ultima was the first series that did it well and spawned a genre that hasn't stopped to this day.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, Mechro owns in BL2. She is by far the most overpowered.
Yeah, she has the Anarchy stack superdamage. I could imagine not liking BL2 if I was using her as a character. Probably the poorest character design of the 2 games.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, Mechro owns in BL2. She is by far the most overpowered. I play siren ..... I haven't found one that can keep up with the double unkempt...so why bother. That is all I use.
B*tch with Cat Class Mod is the way I went with Maya most of the time unless I was there purely as a Res bot. There is also the Fire Sandhawk and the Hellfire.

There are many builds in BL2 where Rockets are really good. Heck, Rockets in Fight For Your Life are amazing. 3 of the main characters have bonuses to FFYL so those 3 characters should always have a rocket launcher in the backpack. Grenades are more situational but sometimes useful. Commonly, you could have a Lightning Bolt with Maya to knock off shields so that the Fire takes over.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's too many games I love to name just 10. In terms of time spent playing, I've probably played Diablo 2 and Counter-strike the most hours total.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's too many games I love to name just 10. In terms of time spent playing, I've probably played Diablo 2 and Counter-strike the most hours total.

Same here with Counter-Strike, although I did play Team Fortress Classic nearly as much.

From about ages 13-17, my life was school, baseball, and Half Life.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I had to sit and think about this for a bit.......

Baseball Stars (shocking no one mentioned this)
NHL 94
Sim City 2000
Civilization IV
Football Manager (post 2009 all roughly the same)
GTA IV
Oblivion
Mass Effect 1
Europa Universalis 3 & 4
Crusader Kings