• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your "perfect" league.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently had a conversation with another member of the $ league I've been in for 8 years and I thought it would make for an interesting thread here.
We were taking about leagues we had both created over the years we've each been in FFB(23rd year for me) and leagues we wish we had created and how the league construction we envision when creating leagues often ends of being different in some aspects when the league becomes active. I have spent the past couple of weeks considering what my perfect league would be if I didn't make any changes based on majority wishes. This is my "perfect" league, what is yours?

Secondary question, would you have interest in this league?

Dream Fantasy Football League

Dynasty League

12 Team league with 3 four team divisions ~ 6 team playoffs with division winners + next 2 best records + remaining team with highest points scored.

2 win format with H2H wins + wins for the 6 highest scoring teams each week.

Tiered PPR

FAB with a waiver moratorium beginning after championship game and ending sometime just before or after the rookie draft.

Trade deadline the Monday after week 12 games. Trading resumes after championship weekend.

3-5 player taxi squad, only rookies & 2nd year players eligible.

Startup draft: Auction including rookies.

Yearly rookie draft apx 2 weeks after NFL draft: Linear draft in reverse order of previous seasons final standings.

Preferred host site: Sleeper

Roster makeup

1-QB

2-RB

3-WR

1-TE

1-Superflex or RB/WR/TE flex

2-RB/WR/TE flex

1-Def

1-K

14-Bench

4-IR

5-Taxi squad (Rookies & 2nd year players only)

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect League is when all owners stay engaged. The rest is background music.
Certainly can't disagree with that! Lose that and that's when your league starts to falter and be a lot less fun for everybody!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently had a conversation with another member of the $ league I've been in for 8 years and I thought it would make for an interesting thread here.
We were taking about leagues we had both created over the years we've each been in FFB(23rd year for me) and leagues we wish we had created and how the league construction we envision when creating leagues often ends of being different in some aspects when the league becomes active. I have spent the past couple of weeks considering what my perfect league would be if I didn't make any changes based on majority wishes. This is my "perfect" league, what is yours?

Secondary question, would you have interest in this league?

Dream Fantasy Football League

Dynasty League

12 Team league with 3 four team divisions ~ 6 team playoffs with division winners + next 2 best records + remaining team with highest points scored.

2 win format with H2H wins + wins for the 6 highest scoring teams each week.

Tiered PPR

FAB with a waiver moratorium beginning after championship game and ending sometime just before or after the rookie draft.

Trade deadline the Monday after week 12 games. Trading resumes after championship weekend.

3-5 player taxi squad, only rookies & 2nd year players eligible.

Startup draft: Auction including rookies.

Yearly rookie draft apx 2 weeks after NFL draft: Linear draft in reverse order of previous seasons final standings.

Preferred host site: Sleeper

Roster makeup

1-QB

2-RB

3-WR

1-TE

1-Superflex or RB/WR/TE flex

2-RB/WR/TE flex

1-Def

1-K

14-Bench

4-IR

5-Taxi squad (Rookies & 2nd year players only)

I don't think I have yet seen the PERFECT LEAGUE... in fact I almost think it is impossible to achieve...

its really all about the scoring... and I just haven't seen a good scoring system...

the main three

Standard- TDs are king which really makes QBs and RBs most important...

PPR- brings more players into fantasy relevancy.. BUT it creates a weird imbalance between players

1/2PPR- a good middle ground if you think the other 2 are both too extreme...

now, there are other stats often used in many leagues to attempt to balance positions out... like first downs... but most fantasy players are in the KISS system... which is great to actually understand the scoring...

I guess my question is whether most fantasy players try to do the math themselves, or just trust the site??

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I have yet seen the PERFECT LEAGUE... in fact I almost think it is impossible to achieve...

its really all about the scoring... and I just haven't seen a good scoring system...

the main three

Standard- TDs are king which really makes QBs and RBs most important...

PPR- brings more players into fantasy relevancy.. BUT it creates a weird imbalance between players

1/2PPR- a good middle ground if you think the other 2 are both too extreme...

now, there are other stats often used in many leagues to attempt to balance positions out... like first downs... but most fantasy players are in the KISS system... which is great to actually understand the scoring...

I guess my question is whether most fantasy players try to do the math themselves, or just trust the site??
When I use the word "Perfect" I don't mean it in terms of a perfect league as there is no such thing, imo. Behind sight I should have substituted the word "Ideal" for "Perfect".

As for scoring, I agree it's very difficult, if not impossible, to ever have a FFB scoring system that matches the NFL system exactly. Having said that, I think that some of the scoring options today that didn't exist in years past are steps in the right direction. Some not all of course. Tiered PPR is one example of a scoring metric I think is much more accurate/fair than straight half or full PPR. Of course we have a multitude of different opinions on that so sometimes KISS is better just to keep things easy to understand for most people. As soon as a league becomes complicated in its makeup then that's when people can start to lose interest in it. Lord knows there's a lot of leagues out there that get pretty crazy in there scoring systems and general league structure.

Lastly, in answer to your last question, I've never been in a league where we tried to use metrics that the host sites couldn't calculate. I think that would simply be too much work. Maybe if I was retired which I will never be, and had a lot of free time on my hands I would feel differently but with my work schedule and other real life commitments I have just enough time for my fantasy football and OOTP "hobbies".

Zep

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This summer, I inherited commish duties of a long running (35+ years) league from my former math professor Uncle. (This is my 24th season as an owner.)

12 team. One QB, two RB, three receiver, TE, kicker, two DL, two LB, two DB, D&ST.

It’s 2 PPR(4 PPR for TEs) But also 2PPC. And also 1 PPY. And also 1 PPA. Plus six IDP. With Team QBs and Team Defense&Special Teams.(this scoring equation I’m not even going to get into) Touchdowns are six points.

Field goals are a point per yard. Extra points are worth 3. Blocks and missed fg negs also depend on distance.

League winner is the total money winner. Total points leader earns more for that than winning the league SB does. First and second in division also pays out.

I finished second in points last year with 26134. Yes, twenty six thousand.

The league is The Paper Football League. Cuz yeah, it was all done on paper before 2000, when we went to CBS.

Was slightly less complicated then, but no idea how long it took to calculate. Scores weren’t official until Wednesdays. Waiver moves were always first come, first serve. With the timer being the second Hank Jr came on MNF. Lol. He’d have the phone off the hook until then. And half the league would have all of his numbers dialed aside from the last one, in anticipation.

Not perfect. We had a solid dozen suggestions for changes pre draft. (Flex of RB/WR/TE instead of third WR being voted in for next year.)But my favorite.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I use the word "Perfect" I don't mean it in terms of a perfect league as there is no such thing, imo. Behind sight I should have substituted the word "Ideal" for "Perfect".

As for scoring, I agree it's very difficult, if not impossible, to ever have a FFB scoring system that matches the NFL system exactly. Having said that, I think that some of the scoring options today that didn't exist in years past are steps in the right direction. Some not all of course. Tiered PPR is one example of a scoring metric I think is much more accurate/fair than straight half or full PPR. Of course we have a multitude of different opinions on that so sometimes KISS is better just to keep things easy to understand for most people. As soon as a league becomes complicated in its makeup then that's when people can start to lose interest in it. Lord knows there's a lot of leagues out there that get pretty crazy in there scoring systems and general league structure.

Lastly, in answer to your last question, I've never been in a league where we tried to use metrics that the host sites couldn't calculate. I think that would simply be too much work. Maybe if I was retired which I will never be, and had a lot of free time on my hands I would feel differently but with my work schedule and other real life commitments I have just enough time for my fantasy football and OOTP "hobbies".

Zep

No. Not saying the site wouldn’t be able to calculate. My question was about the people.

For example. There are a lot of leagues with bonuses. Do you like to understand the calculations and even be able to do it yourself. Or just assume the site is right.

That question is really where it all is. Because if you complicate scoring to make it more accurate you will lose the simple math.

I just wonder if more owners care how the scoring is calculated or if they just look at how much a player scores without questioning.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Not saying the site wouldn’t be able to calculate. My question was about the people.

For example. There are a lot of leagues with bonuses. Do you like to understand the calculations and even be able to do it yourself. Or just assume the site is right.

That question is really where it all is. Because if you complicate scoring to make it more accurate you will lose the simple math.

I just wonder if more owners care how the scoring is calculated or if they just look at how much a player scores without questioning.
I think the vast majority of owners just look at how much a player scores without questioning. I've only ever had a handful of scoring issues over all the years I've been doing FFB. All except one , I believe, was on ESPN.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what you need is 12 perfect owners that all buy into whatever parameters you establish.

Tried many leagues:
A favorite was a 4 player league. 1QB, 1RB, 1WR and 1 bench.
Was in a full 11-man IDP starter league. Yikes.

Point is no matter what sounds good. Someone won't like something. Too many IR spots. Not enough. QB passing should be 3. No, 4. Why isn't it 6? Need more flex spots.

It's mayhem.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No buy-in?
I like at least a sliver of skin to be on the line for the effort that goes into it

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I drop one or two leagues I would be in but most of mine are set in stone

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what you need is 12 perfect owners that all buy into whatever parameters you establish.

Tried many leagues:
A favorite was a 4 player league. 1QB, 1RB, 1WR and 1 bench.
Was in a full 11-man IDP starter league. Yikes.

Point is no matter what sounds good. Someone won't like something. Too many IR spots. Not enough. QB passing should be 3. No, 4. Why isn't it 6? Need more flex spots.

It's mayhem.
100% agree but since perfection is the carrot on the stick you will never catch the best that anyone can do is be very selective in the people they invite into their league and never make a league public unless they look forward to inactive owners and the joy of scrambling to find replacement owners to keep their league viable!

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league I've run for 30+ years is fairly old school and I love it.

--10 teams
--2 divisions of 5 (odds and evens)
--4 playoff teams (1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd)
--16-round draft
--15-week regular season
--no defense
--all TDs are 6 points
--PPR for WR/TE
--1-point for RB 1st downs
--2 points for every 25 scrimmage yards (rushing/receiving)
--1-point for every 50 yards passing
--FG scoring
39 or less = 3
40-49 = 4
50-59 = 5
60-64 = 6
65+ = 10 (Justin Tucker LOL)
--starting lineup
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K (TE not required)

We draft on Yahoo and then I transfer everyone's roster to FleaFlicker. I don't like FF's draft format. I've used FleaFlicker since 2018.

For me, this is ideal. I've been the Commish for over 30 years and it's been pretty smooth. I've changed a few things regarding the format on my own over the years...as well as suggestions from other members. It's been a blast.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league I've run for 30+ years is fairly old school and I love it.

--10 teams
--2 divisions of 5 (odds and evens)
--4 playoff teams (1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd)
--16-round draft
--15-week regular season
--no defense
--all TDs are 6 points
--PPR for WR/TE
--1-point for RB 1st downs
--2 points for every 25 scrimmage yards (rushing/receiving)
--1-point for every 50 yards passing
--FG scoring
39 or less = 3
40-49 = 4
50-59 = 5
60-64 = 6
65+ = 10 (Justin Tucker LOL)
--starting lineup
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K (TE not required)

We draft on Yahoo and then I transfer everyone's roster to FleaFlicker. I don't like FF's draft format. I've used FleaFlicker since 2018.

For me, this is ideal. I've been the Commish for over 30 years and it's been pretty smooth. I've changed a few things regarding the format on my own over the years...as well as suggestions from other members. It's been a blast.
30+ years is indeed a good run!! I'm curious as to why you dropped Def but kept K? Dropping the K position but not the Def seems to be the trend though I like both for the realism. Also interesting that you minimize the TE position and pass catching RBs.

Zep

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30+ years is indeed a good run!! I'm curious as to why you dropped Def but kept K? Dropping the K position but not the Def seems to be the trend though I like both for the realism. Also interesting that you minimize the TE position and pass catching RBs.

Zep
In my league I've never had a DST...but friends of mine have not been so lucky. Oh, wait...that's something else. Sorry.
:D :D :D

Regarding the TE position, in the beginning I required a TE, but it's been years. I like the flexibility of not having to have one. You can use between 0 and 4. I offset the no PPR for RBs by giving them points for 1st downs. I know it's a bit unusual, but it works for us.

Always used a K. My kicker (Tucker) helped me get over the hump this past week. Scored 19 and I won by 2. Of course, they can also cost you if they don't make those kicks. In my league a miss is just a miss resulting in 0 points. Points aren't deducted for misses.