• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your 10 favorite and 10 least favorite drivers of all time

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the stuff Dale did that is bitched about by haters is encouraged today as well.
& still disagree with it.
You shouldnt be allowed to wreck a driver on purpose for a win & get the win.
Local tracks you are penalized.

When logano wrecked kenseth & all the commentators were like that is ok to do. he earned being wrecked for racing (they said blocking) & BTW there is a difference from taking someones line away & actual blocking.

They condoned it, which is total bullshit. They said that is racing. Uh. No its not!

Then when Kenseth (in the words of Stewart on the radio) just completely junked Logano as payback.

Everyone wanted to throw Kenseth in jail practically LOL

There was no place for that in the sport & complete BS & on & on & on.

To me. Now that is racing. Since I was practically in diapers. You knew if you purposefully dumped someone you were gonna get it back. Sometimes 2 fold. That is part of the sport.

Wrecking drivers for wins should never be allowed, yet that is the one thing they promote basically.

Only time a win was taken away was when Rudd turned the 28 at a road course. he got the black flag instead of the Checkers.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has ever been able to give a real reason for hating Dale Jr other than he was popular and not as good as his dad.

If he doesn’t make the HOF, he’ll have the most wins of any eligible driver not in the Hall. Good dude, solid career. Never was a fan, but never hated him either
I dont think anyone actually hated Dale Jr. (maybe some Kyle Busch fans)
I think why so many rooted against Dale Jr was because of his fans & the media forcing him down everyone's throat.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good list but Petty was a Pearson fan. He once said if he was following Pearson and Pearson turned into the infield he was following him.
cool.

But on the track they were rivals.

Didn't say they didn't get along or there wasn't mutual respect.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe so. Now I am going to have to find that race and re watch it.
Andretti in an interview later on in life, said he was so pissed (think he was stuck on the curb is why he went two laps down IIRC) he said he might have won because he was driving so angry after that LOL.

I dont know anyone that could hate John Andretti. he was a genuine nice guy. (& humble too)

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When logano wrecked kenseth & all the commentators were like that is ok to do. he earned being wrecked for racing (they said blocking) & BTW there is a difference from taking someones line away & actual blocking.

They condoned it, which is total bullshit. They said that is racing. Uh. No its not!

Then when Kenseth (in the words of Stewart on the radio) just completely junked Logano as payback.

To me. Now that is racing. Since I was practically in diapers. You knew if you purposefully dumped someone you were gonna get it back. Sometimes 2 fold. That is part of the sport.

Wrecking drivers for wins should never be allowed, yet that is the one thing they promote basically.

Only time a win was taken away was when Rudd turned the 28 at a road course. he got the black flag instead of the Checkers.

This has been one of my issues with Nascar, their favorites are allowed to get away with things. From Petty to Waltrip to Earnhardt to Gordon to Jr to Johnson.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s hard to prove intent without clear radio chatter. In Keselowski’s first win, Edwards blocked late definitely, but Brad turned the wheel hard right to make sure to finish the job and make sure he got through, is that ok?

It was before my time, but I say Rudd got screwed. But that wasn’t even NASCAR’s worst ruling that year. They let Brett Bodine’s win stand despite even Bill France knowing there was a scoring error and DW really won that race.

But I’ve never been a racer, just a lifelong fan, wrecking someone on purpose for the win is one thing, but trying to move them out of the way for the win is fine to me.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool.

But on the track they were rivals.

Didn't say they didn't get along or there wasn't mutual respect.
yeah I remember everyone thinking Dale Sr. & DW hated each other, but in real life they were good friends. They just knew how to sell it at the track.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He acts like he's entitled. Living off the legend of his dad.
He’s never acted entitled and he won 26 races, which is more than numerous hall of famers and guys universally considered good.

Put it this way, nobody has the same amount or more wins and is eligible isn’t in the Hall of Fame.

I never was a fan, but he was always a class act and a really good driver.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been one of my issues with Nascar, their favorites are allowed to get away with things. From Petty to Waltrip to Earnhardt to Gordon to Jr to Johnson.
Yep.
Auto racing from the local tracks all the way to the top of racing is very political & biased. (in any form of racing)

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I remember everyone thinking Dale Sr. & DW hated each other, but in real life they were good friends. They just knew how to sell it at the track.

Yes.

And in my list I used the word "enemy". That makes it sound even worse. My fault.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they had the same love for Jimmie as the rest. He was the victim of a lot of highly questionable calls throughout his career. I don’t think they liked him because he was the most dominant driver in the sport for a long time, but just couldn’t really endear himself to the fans. He wasn’t flashy and didn’t have a big personality, and him winning to much was the only thing people could really hate him for

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s never acted entitled and he won 26 races, which is more than numerous hall of famers and guys universally considered good.

Put it this way, nobody has the same amount or more wins and is eligible isn’t in the Hall of Fame.

I never was a fan, but he was always a class act and a really good driver.

I agree.

I was never really a fan of either big E or Little E but he, little E, had the racing chops.

And honestly I like much more than I did his dad.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there was a time in the 80’s when there was a genuine disliking between the two. I know Neil Bonnet’s fatal crash really made them closer friends.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s hard to prove intent without clear radio chatter. In Keselowski’s first win, Edwards blocked late definitely, but Brad turned the wheel hard right to make sure to finish the job and make sure he got through, is that ok?

It was before my time, but I say Rudd got screwed. But that wasn’t even NASCAR’s worst ruling that year. They let Brett Bodine’s win stand despite even Bill France knowing there was a scoring error and DW really won that race.

But I’ve never been a racer, just a lifelong fan, wrecking someone on purpose for the win is one thing, but trying to move them out of the way for the win is fine to me.
yep. France told DW (who was complaining about the ruling) hey DW you have plenty of wins & will get plenty more. Give this guy his moment. Which really makes me shake my head. They gave a win to a lapped car.

As far as proving intent. Fuck that. this isnt a court case.
In all of racing just about everything is a judgement call. So dont pull that shit on dumping drivers for wins. Pretty much everyone knows when it happened on purpose. As far as moving drivers. Yes that is allowed & should be. but you need to know if you take that chance & wreck them. You should suffer for it. Not them. (or along with them)

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there was a time in the 80’s when there was a genuine disliking between the two. I know Neil Bonnet’s fatal crash really made them closer friends.
the very early 80's they were pitted against each other. (& didnt know each other)

Junior Johnson at one time said there is only two young drivers teams should go after for their race teams.

Darrell Waltrip & Dale Earnhardt.

Now that is saying a lot. Could you imagine those two as teammates.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. France told DW (who was complaining about the ruling) hey DW you have plenty of wins & will get plenty more. Give this guy his moment. Which really makes me shake my head. They gave a win to a lapped car.

As far as proving intent. Fuck that. this isnt a court case.
In all of racing just about everything is a judgement call. So dont pull that shit on dumping drivers for wins. Pretty much everyone knows when it happened on purpose. As far as moving drivers. Yes that is allowed & should be. but you need to know if you take that chance & wreck them. You should suffer for it. Not them. (or along with them)
We’ll disagree here. You’re probably more in the right since you are an actual racer, but as a fan, I like beating and banging, and the bump and run. Earnhardt’s win in the 99 night race at Bristol is still my favorite race of all time

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the very early 80's they were pitted against each other. (& didnt know each other)

Junior Johnson at one time said there is only two young drivers teams should go after for their race teams.

Darrell Waltrip & Dale Earnhardt.

Now that is saying a lot. Could you imagine those two as teammates.
I watched a video where Johnson was close to hiring Earnhardt after Osterlund sold his team. Earnhardt wound up finishing the year with Childress, then went to Bud Moore before going back to Childress.

Would have been a hell of team, but probably a big clash of egos as well

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ll disagree here. You’re probably more in the right since you are an actual racer, but as a fan, I like beating and banging, and the bump and run. Earnhardt’s win in the 99 night race at Bristol is still my favorite race of all time
most of the public will probably side with you. now in nascar you arent wrecking your own money anymore that you got by refi'ing your home. it is sponsorship money so even the racers nowadays forget wrecking race cars isnt racing.
If you are at your local tracks you will see how personal racing is. A lot of those guys have everything I own into those race cars. So just imagine how personal that gets when someone wrecks you on purpose.

but for me since forever. I never thought you should be rewarded a win by wrecking someone else.
That should never be a thing.

Then again we shouldnt have playoffs to define our Champion in auto racing either, but Money ruins everything.

Its all about reinventing 1992 all over again every year.

So whatever increases viewership nascar will do & continue to destroy the sport I love for that all mighty dollar.