• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

you must admit..

JBUCK66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marvin got this thing turned around somehow

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. It's scary. The Myans might be right.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We are a middle of the pack team. Not exactly the "turnaround" I'm looking for nor impressed with.

Mike Brown loves you.

JBUCK66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
antidepressents?....What's the matter grey?....you're not one of those that thinks his team is entitled to SBs, are ya?

Millions would be happy with our team. Anybody can piss and moan dude, but only a special few can cry after wins

JBUCK66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
12-21-12

we should be able to get a PO win right before the end

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
antidepressents?....What's the matter grey?....you're not one of those that thinks his team is entitled to SBs, are ya?

Millions would be happy with our team. Anybody can piss and moan dude, but only a special few can cry after wins

The irony behind it is the only people who will be on anti-depressants are those who are impressed by this "turnaround".

My statement was more matter of fact than "piss(ing) and moan(ing)".

You must also be one of those fans that would take a win today and lose Luck tomorrow.

sloucho

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When have the Bengals ever been in a position to lose, and get a cant miss player?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are a middle of the pack team. Not exactly the "turnaround" I'm looking for nor impressed with.

Mike Brown loves you.

They have turned it around -- At the beginning of the year they were losing to crappy teams. Now they are winning against crappy teams.

The rest of the way they get to play one very crappy team (Philly), one sometimes crappy team (Dallas), and one suddenly suspect team (Baltimore). There is a clear path to 10-6. If they don't get there, I'll be upset..... But I'm not going to cry about it 4 weeks before it does or does not happen. Especially given the fact that I didn't think we were going to get more than 7 wins the entire season.

BTW -- The things that you are looking for or will be impressed with are not going to happen over the next 5 years. Marvin is going to be coach, there will not be a new management structure and there will not be a new quarterback. I'm not going to be one of those people that say you should be sunshine and roses or stop rooting for the team. But I'm interested in what your current expectations are and what you would like to see happen.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure we could have outsucked the colts that year though. Teams don't normally literally try to suck for a better draft pick, at least they would never admit it, so I try not to focus on it. We got AJ Green not long ago for our suckiness, and that worked out. But in general, the draft has not been our salvation, Akili Smith, Ki Jana Carter, big Daddy. Carson Palmer was great until playing Pittsburgh a third time, they made damn sure they weren't going to play second fiddle to the Bengals. After that event, I would never recommend the Bengals putting their eggs in one basket like that again, we live in a tough division, and it would make such a QB an easy target for a repeat of that event. I wouldn't wish that fate on Andrew Luck, although I can still make a 2 hour drive and be a fan of his any time I choose.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When have the Bengals ever been in a position to lose, and get a cant miss player?

It's a hypothetical.

Crash went on record a day or two ago saying he would root for his team to win the last game of the regular season even if it meant losing out on drafting Luck.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They have turned it around -- At the beginning of the year they were losing to crappy teams. Now they are winning against crappy teams.

The rest of the way they get to play one very crappy team (Philly), one sometimes crappy team (Dallas), and one suddenly suspect team (Baltimore). There is a clear path to 10-6. If they don't get there, I'll be upset..... But I'm not going to cry about it 4 weeks before it does or does not happen. Especially given the fact that I didn't think we were going to get more than 7 wins the entire season.

BTW -- The things that you are looking for or will be impressed with are not going to happen over the next 5 years. Marvin is going to be coach, there will not be a new management structure and there will not be a new quarterback. I'm not going to be one of those people that say you should be sunshine and roses or stop rooting for the team. But I'm interested in what your current expectations are and what you would like to see happen.

Well I guess that perspective depends on what period of time you're talking about.

Since the point of contention with Marvin is usually regarding his inability to bring about results since mostly 2005, I was referring to "turnaround" from the past 5-6 futile years. Which he most certainly has not since we're middle of the pack.

Even if you look at the last 2 years, we're still in the same boat. Beat crappy teams and lose to good teams. Little has changed (relative to a "turnaround") with the exception of the Giants win.

In the most recent history, the only crappy teams we've lost to are the Browns and Miami. I'd hardly call 2 games a trend where I'm announcing a "turnaround" of any sorts. But that's just me.

As far as current expectations, I have none. Coming into the season, I thought at best, we'd be 6-10. So, we've obviously well exceeded those expectations, but the question becomes, did we exceed them because we're that much of a better team or because the schedule is a lot easier than initially anticipated? I lean heavily towards the latter, but do recognize some is due to the former. But is that enough improvement to get excited over the team if they happen to make the playoffs? Absolutely not. We're light years behind Houston, Denver, and New England. And we're far enough behind Pittsburgh (not sold on Baltimore, but I don't have confidence against them either). I'm not sure we could beat the Colts either.

As far as what I expect for the rest of the season? I expect that we miss the playoffs.

What I'd like to see is improvement from Dalton in the areas we've discussed ad nauseum. I know there are people here who believe he has already improved in those areas, but I think they'd be lying if they didn't say the Chargers game didn't bring them pause. He threw one ugly interception. He didn't see Hawkins wide open in the endzone on one possession. He overthrew Green on the very next possession wide open (though I can forgive this one because it's a silly mistake because he got excited). Then he also threw the ball long out of bounds on a long throw when Green had 2-3 steps on his man.

Despite the picture some here would like to paint of me and my thoughts on Dalton, I sure hope he proves me wrong over the final 4 weeks. Dallas I believe has a decent defense, Pittsburgh's defense is beginning to come on strong, and Baltimore is strong defensively as usual.

And if he doesn't, same as before, save me the rah-rah because of the stats he will probably put up on Philly and maybe Dallas (don't know them at all really) or what he's already done against Oakland, KC, and NY. Then, next season, we can start this all over again.

There is currently a LOT of parity in the league. We can make the playoffs any given year with the current talent. Dalton taking the next step while won't make us contenders for a SB, but would at least make us competitive with some of the other playoff caliber teams (Colts, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh). That's what I want to see next.

UDFlyers90

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess that perspective depends on what period of time you're talking about.

Since the point of contention with Marvin is usually regarding his inability to bring about results since mostly 2005, I was referring to "turnaround" from the past 5-6 futile years. Which he most certainly has not since we're middle of the pack.

Even if you look at the last 2 years, we're still in the same boat. Beat crappy teams and lose to good teams. Little has changed (relative to a "turnaround") with the exception of the Giants win.

In the most recent history, the only crappy teams we've lost to are the Browns and Miami. I'd hardly call 2 games a trend where I'm announcing a "turnaround" of any sorts. But that's just me.

As far as current expectations, I have none. Coming into the season, I thought at best, we'd be 6-10. So, we've obviously well exceeded those expectations, but the question becomes, did we exceed them because we're that much of a better team or because the schedule is a lot easier than initially anticipated? I lean heavily towards the latter, but do recognize some is due to the former. But is that enough improvement to get excited over the team if they happen to make the playoffs? Absolutely not. We're light years behind Houston, Denver, and New England. And we're far enough behind Pittsburgh (not sold on Baltimore, but I don't have confidence against them either). I'm not sure we could beat the Colts either.

As far as what I expect for the rest of the season? I expect that we miss the playoffs.

What I'd like to see is improvement from Dalton in the areas we've discussed ad nauseum. I know there are people here who believe he has already improved in those areas, but I think they'd be lying if they didn't say the Chargers game didn't bring them pause. He threw one ugly interception. He didn't see Hawkins wide open in the endzone on one possession. He overthrew Green on the very next possession wide open (though I can forgive this one because it's a silly mistake because he got excited). Then he also threw the ball long out of bounds on a long throw when Green had 2-3 steps on his man.

Despite the picture some here would like to paint of me and my thoughts on Dalton, I sure hope he proves me wrong over the final 4 weeks. Dallas I believe has a decent defense, Pittsburgh's defense is beginning to come on strong, and Baltimore is strong defensively as usual.

And if he doesn't, same as before, save me the rah-rah because of the stats he will probably put up on Philly and maybe Dallas (don't know them at all really) or what he's already done against Oakland, KC, and NY. Then, next season, we can start this all over again.

There is currently a LOT of parity in the league. We can make the playoffs any given year with the current talent. Dalton taking the next step while won't make us contenders for a SB, but would at least make us competitive with some of the other playoff caliber teams (Colts, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh). That's what I want to see next.

In addition, to being a negative asshole, you are fucking bore. You must be something with the ladies. By the way, are you still hoping the Bengals lose out to get a better draft pick? You spend your entire fucking life living on this website, and you actually hope the Bengals lose so you can be "right" about them. How fucking insane is that. Get a grip dude. And take a break from the SportsHoopla to try to find a date. Good luck with that one.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've never hoped the Bengals would lose for a better draft pick (at least not this season). Get your facts straight.

I guess I can add you to the list of people that make shit up to try to make a point.

Oh, and when you get passed high school, get through college if you make it that far, and finally get a job, you might realize how much you can do in 9 hours.

sloucho

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am unsure what makes you so enamored with QBs like Luck.

Luck has played 1 full season less than Dalton. Was picked 33 spots higher, and is supposed to be the best QB prospect since Manning.

The year, Dalton has Been more accurate by 8%, higher QB rating by 15%. Dalton has a higher YPA, 7 more TDs, 3 less ints, 6 less fumbles.

Luck has 2 games with a QB rating over 100, Dalton has 5.

Luck has 3 3 INT games, Dalton has 1. And against common opponents, Dalton has had the better game 66% of the times.

So...Luck isnt that good. Dalton is no Brady, Dalton is no Peyton. But, What does Dalton so desperately need to improve on, that 90% of all Qbs in football could also be better in as well?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing you Bengal fans should know is that as the Bengals you also play the Refs when you are facing certain teams.

The NFL has made it clear the Refs are to show bias towards the
Denver Broncos
New England patriots
Indianapolis Colts
Pittsburgh Steelers x2

New York Giants x2
San Fransisco 49ers
Dallas Cowboys
Green Bay Packers

If your team is playing one of these teams you also are playing the Refs.
Holding and Def PI or Holding are the prime culprits.

I will use the Broncos as an example.
If you throw 50 times and there is never a holding called on you, you HOLD MORE.
If you are playing the Broncos and you get called for Holding on a Quick Run Play, as well as on Passing plays, you HOLD LESS.

This is how the Refs give advantages to certain teams (especially in the 1st and 3rd quarters).

Back to point. With Lewis you guys have a Coach that knows how to win vs the Refs, as well as how to win with Lower Priced players. You guys have to keep him. You guys have a young team that has Won under this coach. It will only get better.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Luck has played 1 full season less than Dalton. Was picked 33 spots higher, and is supposed to be the best QB prospect since Manning.

The year, Dalton has Been more accurate by 8%, higher QB rating by 15%. Dalton has a higher YPA, 7 more TDs, 3 less ints, 6 less fumbles.

Luck has 3 3 INT games, Dalton has 1. And against common opponents, Dalton has had the better game 66% of the times.

So...Luck isnt that good. Dalton is no Brady, Dalton is no Peyton. But, What does Dalton so desperately need to improve on, that 90% of all Qbs in football could also be better in as well?

Alex Smith also have top 5 stats this season. Yet he was still benched for a 2nd year player with worse stats

There is something to be attained with stats, but that's only if you put them in the proper context. Today I had a Steelers fan email me stats showing their defense having given up less ypg than any other team in the league. However, that stat doesn't account for how slow the Steeler's play now on offense and they aren't even top 5 in ppg given up. Doesn't mean squat without proper context.

In the case of QB's, it gets even more dicier when you consider talent level. Luck has squat on offense or defense. What he's done on and for that team is nothing short of amazing.

Furthermore, without comparing situations, you cannot compare QB's. Despite having better stats than Brees, you cannot compare Smith to Brees. What Brees is asked to do for his team far far outweighs anything Smith is asked to do. Despite the stats, Smith isn't half the player Brees is.

What Luck has to work (offensively AND defensively AND coaching) isn't anywhere close to what Dalton has to work with. I wouldn't make the argument now because there is little to no concrete substance to make a less than very subjective argument, but Luck is the better QB even today, let alone how far his undeniable talent and intangibles will make him in the future.

Edit: People severely underrate the job Gruden has done here.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing you Bengal fans should know is that as the Bengals you also play the Refs when you are facing certain teams.

The NFL has made it clear the Refs are to show bias towards the
Denver Broncos
New England patriots
Indianapolis Colts
Pittsburgh Steelers x2

New York Giants x2
San Fransisco 49ers
Dallas Cowboys
Green Bay Packers

If your team is playing one of these teams you also are playing the Refs.
Holding and Def PI or Holding are the prime culprits.

I will use the Broncos as an example.
If you throw 50 times and there is never a holding called on you, you HOLD MORE.
If you are playing the Broncos and you get called for Holding on a Quick Run Play, as well as on Passing plays, you HOLD LESS.

This is how the Refs give advantages to certain teams (especially in the 1st and 3rd quarters).

Back to point. With Lewis you guys have a Coach that knows how to win vs the Refs, as well as how to win with Lower Priced players. You guys have to keep him. You guys have a young team that has Won under this coach. It will only get better.

not sure everyone here agrees that Lewis should be kept around as he has frustrated us at times, but its nice to have an outside perspective once in awhile, so thanks for posting that.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Luck is awesome. Think about it. He has one decent receiver, no OL, no running game, no defense, and is asked to win games pretty much by himself. He's throwing 50 passes nearly every week, and is forced to win shootouts. He's bound to throw some picks under such a situation. Did you see the TD he threw running to the left, with a flick of his wrist, to get the Colts back in against Detroit? Totally awesome throw, one that Dalton will never make on his best day. Put a team around Luck and he's definitely able to take them all the way right now. I like Dalton, and I think he's got a bright future here, but he's never going to be elite, and Luck is already. It's a talent thing. Dalton is good, but Luck is gifted.

Last edited by a moderator: