• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

yamaico navarro

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pirates just traded their **** star minor league pitcher (Brooks Pounders) and a guy whose name I didn't recognize (Diego Gorris) for this young SS who was in the Royals organization.
Here are a few words from the scouting reports. I never heard of the guy before tonight but just looking through the minor league stats and reading the scouting reports has given me some interest. Seems like he could be solid depth on the left side of the infield and a potential starting SS if he works out a few kinks. I bet this is why Neil backed off on Betemit too.

"Not initially signed as a big name, Navarro has thoroughly impressed the Sox brass in his first years in the organization. He has an athletic build for a shortstop, with a little bit of bulk. At the plate, he makes good contact and generates good loft off his bat, resulting in a lot of liners. Hits fastballs better than breaking balls. A little too aggressive at the plate, could stand to take some more pitches. Average speed and power for a middle infielder. In the field, he plays 2B, 3B, and SS more than adequately, with a sure glove and an average to above average arm, but he still needs to improve footwork. Always entertaining to watch, Navarro turns a lot of big league gems in the field. He has an Ozzie Smith-like electricity in the field"

"Body Type – Projectable and athletic

Scouting Report

Swings hard and as a result he makes hard contact. Good hand-eye coordination allows him to make contact as much as he does. However, his plate discipline leaves a lot to be desired. He’s often too aggressive at the plate and swings at pitches he should be taking. Struggles on breaking balls.

Navarro possesses quick wrists and plenty of bat speed as he generally lets the ball travel deep into his zone when he’s not out in front on off-speed stuff.

A mechanical flaw that makes Navarro susceptible to pitches away and breaking stuff is how he strides into foot plant. As Navarro strides, there are times where he seems to be drifting toward third base. When he does this, he ends up planting well on the third base side. In the clip below, you’ll notice he has a little Juan Uribe in him. That’s not necessarily the worst thing in the world as long he learns there are times to cut down on the swing a bit and develops some semblance of patience and discipline. Easier said than done, however.

Navarro moved up from Greenville and posted an .880 OPS in Lancaster, but when you take park factors into account, Navarro’s adjusted OPS was .831. Still, that was much better than his previous output and he showed clear signs of improvement in terms of contact rate.

Navarro’s specialty is his defense as he boasts good range, decent feet, and a solid arm. He’s also versatile enough to play third and second, and possibly center field if need be.

Best Case Outcome – Above average shortstop

More Likely Outcome – Average shortstop with solid defense…worst case is utility player."

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, I read a report that said his defense was well below average at short.

I like the add, certainly better than Ciriaco for a utility role.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised they traded Pounders but anything is better than Ciriaco in a utility role. I hope he can turn into a good SS.

BTW...They plan on using Harrison at SS more this spring.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that Navarro is better than Ciriaco..... but this seems like the kind of move that the Pirates should make. Navarro seems to have a bit of potential with the bat, which is more than most observers think about Ciriaco. I liked what little I saw of Ciriaco in the field (he looked slick in a very small sample) and he seemed to be making progress with the bat (again, a very small sample). However, the Pirates and Hurdle seem pretty high on D'Arnaud (not sure why), and they plan to work out Harrison at SS..... so Ciriaco was expendable. Here's hoping that one of these guys turns into a decent SS for the future (although I have serious doubts). Obviously, Barmes is not a long-term solution, and it would be no surprise if he bombs in the near-term, as well.

I hated to see Pounders go, but I could probably say the same thing about any of the Pirates' young pitchers. The other guy they traded had never crossed my consciousness, either. His stats look decent, but he must not be much of a prospect to have been stuck in the Dominican league for three seasons.