• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wyeast question

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking for quick help. It's been a while.

I have a Sierra madra kit with wyeast smack pack. Upon arrival, it wasn't swollen but wasn't completely flat. After having it in the fridge for over 2 weeks, it has swelled up a good bit.

I'm afraid to smack it out of fear of popping the whole bag. If I leave it out a while, should the swelling go down or is this it for this pack?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking for quick help. It's been a while.

I have a Sierra madra kit with wyeast smack pack. Upon arrival, it wasn't swollen but wasn't completely flat. After having it in the fridge for over 2 weeks, it has swelled up a good bit.

I'm afraid to smack it out of fear of popping the whole bag. If I leave it out a while, should the swelling go down or is this it for this pack?

Sounds like the nutrient pack may have been ruptured and the yeast may have already fermented the sugars and possibly have gone dormant in the fridge. I wouldn't smack an already swollen pack because you'll likely burst it all over you and the surroundings which is not fun cleaning up. I'm assuming you don't already have a yeast starter flask, but I would suggest doing your own homemade starter and evaluate your yeast before you brew.

If your ingredient kit came with DME, take about a quarter cup and add it to a small pot of boiling water as if you were making a small batch of wort (same concept with LME). Let it cool while you sanitize a bottle and a paper towel or cheese cloth. Pour your mini wort into the bottle and add the wyeast, stir and cover the opening with the sanitized towel. Check the bottle every couple hours to see if the yeast is active. If so, go ahead and brew as normal and pitch the bottle of yeast like you would the snack pack.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never used Wyeast Smack packs. The LHBS carries only White Labs for liquid yeast.

But Cobra has a great idea there, not sure what the yeast count is in that little thingy, but make yourself a little starter, you could use a mason jar or an empty clean juice jug too, preferably glass. If you know the yeast count Make sure you make a big enough starter to take care of business.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The weird thing is I could tell the pack was not yet ruptured. I ended up taking the risk and delicately trying to smack it open, which eventually worked (without popping the bag).

Hopefully all is well but I did make one but boneheaded rookie mistake. I rushed things and didn't realize it til it was too late. Once the boil finished, I immediately poured it into the fermenter and put that one ice instead of leaving it in the stainless pot. No idea what I was thinking. AND it took me 5 minutes before I even realized I did this.

Took a bit longer to cool, but I am hoping it all works out ok.

Thanks for your help as always.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weird thing is I could tell the pack was not yet ruptured. I ended up taking the risk and delicately trying to smack it open, which eventually worked (without popping the bag).

Hopefully all is well but I did make one but boneheaded rookie mistake. I rushed things and didn't realize it til it was too late. Once the boil finished, I immediately poured it into the fermenter and put that one ice instead of leaving it in the stainless pot. No idea what I was thinking. AND it took me 5 minutes before I even realized I did this.

Took a bit longer to cool, but I am hoping it all works out ok.

Thanks for your help as always.

little late to the party, but i had the same thing happen to me once with the pack being a little puffed up when it arrived. i did the same as you, and it all turned out fine.

re: the cooling, i think you'll be okay. My first AG batch, i did not yet have a immersion chiller...took me hours to cool the full 5 gal boil. All worked out, was a delicious brew. Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.