• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wow

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the new thread, had no idea where to put this.

"Before Sunday, referees had overturned 13 of 20 touchdowns when reviewing whether a runner had broken the plane of the goal line."

Most often I suppose the next play was a running TD, but I suppose some weren't. Not sure if there have been that many game changers in the past that would have made team re-roll the dice and later fumble. Replay challenges and game situations will make refs and coaches watch closely anyway (I don't know how many prior to the review rule were naturally changed), but that's an interesting stat for me.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry for the new thread, had no idea where to put this.

"Before Sunday, referees had overturned 13 of 20 touchdowns when reviewing whether a runner had broken the plane of the goal line."

Most often I suppose the next play was a running TD, but I suppose some weren't. Not sure if there have been that many game changers in the past that would have made team re-roll the dice and later fumble. Replay challenges and game situations will make refs and coaches watch closely anyway (I don't know how many prior to the review rule were naturally changed), but that's an interesting stat for me.

So only 35% of the broke-the-plane TD's were good??? Yeah, Wow is right. That is astounding!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, kinda sounds like they are just ruling them TDs, and then letting the replay decide the outcome. Good and bad to that, the good thing is they are trying to remove the embarrassment of blowing TDs in the post-game interviews and the reviews on the networks, and the bad is that with this we're dependent on the camera crews actually getting the right angles. Which didn't happen in the Bengals game with Miguel Lobsterbush's TD.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the officials are giving the benefit of the doubt to the TD because it can always be overturned by replay if they are wrong, but if they call it not a TD then it doesn't automatically get reviewed.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the officials are giving the benefit of the doubt to the TD because it can always be overturned by replay if they are wrong, but if they call it not a TD then it doesn't automatically get reviewed.

Yeah, I like that they are doing that. As far as I know, it's only came back to haunt them once and that was with the Sproles TD where he stepped out at the 1 yard line... and something failed with the beeper and it didn't go off down on the field even though the replay official called for a replay. But, that is something they intend to address by installing a red light/ green light system somewhere.

Oh, I wanted to add, I guess the light system is an idea to replace the beeper system next year, it wasn't something they planned to do before the year was out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kinda hoping they ruled Gore down a foot short so we could run more time off the clock. The way were were running I'm confident we still would have got the TD a play later. I was really nervous leaving 3mins on the clock for an offense we seemingly could not stop all game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points, Three & Mojo!!

D'oh! Mojo and Three are paying attention this year. I should have figured that out. Oh well, I'll get it next time.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be interested to know what percentage of coach's challenges in the past that this new rule replaces were upheld last year.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I like that they are doing that. As far as I know, it's only came back to haunt them once and that was with the Sproles TD where he stepped out at the 1 yard line... and something failed with the beeper and it didn't go off down on the field even though the replay official called for a replay. But, that is something they intend to address by installing a red light/ green light system somewhere.

Agree'd, it's easier to call a game more consistent if you give the benefit of the doubt to the good play rather then having to get it right.

I was kinda hoping they ruled Gore down a foot short so we could run more time off the clock. The way were were running I'm confident we still would have got the TD a play later. I was really nervous leaving 3mins on the clock for an offense we seemingly could not stop all game.

Ge the score as soon as possible, you don't know what will happen. Look at what happened to to the Eagles on the 1 yard line, Ronnie Brown fumbled the ball and they didn't get points.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought that for about 0.5 seconds until premonitional nightmares flashed before my eyes - and that was just about this board! Get the TD when you can or else you're asking yourself for a week long bitchin' debate. I can imagine Mora defending Harbaugh, saying clock management is important - after losing a fumble.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hahaha!!!...I was cautiously wanting the same thing - but cautiously...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe Collinsworth was in the process of saying that the officials are supposed to call TD and let the replay sort it out.