• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you...

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
...trade Aldon, and this year's 1st round pick and the Chiefs 2nd rounder for the Texans' #1 pick? A friend posed this question to me and I'm a bit torn. Probably leaning towards no. If Clowney turns into what we think he can be he could eventually take over for Justin Smith, while Lemonier/Skuta/Brooks man the OLB spots. I just don't have a good grip on how long Aldon will be suspended and I'm sure this uncertainty is what would deter the Texans from doing this trade. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys thought

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
...trade Aldon, and this year's 1st round pick and the Chiefs 2nd rounder for the Texans' #1 pick? A friend posed this question to me and I'm a bit torn. Probably leaning towards no. If Clowney turns into what we think he can be he could eventually take over for Justin Smith, while Lemonier/Skuta/Brooks man the OLB spots. I just don't have a good grip on how long Aldon will be suspended and I'm sure this uncertainty is what would deter the Texans from doing this trade. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys thought

Clowney would play OLB in our scheme. His speed is his greatest asset. It would be a bad call to get him to bulk up to man the DE spot.

Re: the trade, it depends entirely on the team's faith in Aldon. If they don't have much, sure, I'd make that trade. If they do have faith in him, I wouldn't.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what if he doesnt?
This is a big NO for me. We would be giving up on maybe the best passrusher in the game and a 2rd pick for a guy that could bust pretty hard. If Clowney does meet his potential is that much better then Aldons potential? The risk isnt worth losing Aldons talent and then things not working out with Clowney. If Aldon does get suspended it likely wouldnt exceed 1 season. I say patience with Aldon is the best course.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clowney would play OLB in our scheme. His speed is his greatest asset. It would be a bad call to get him to bulk up to man the DE spot.

Re: the trade, it depends entirely on the team's faith in Aldon. If they don't have much, sure, I'd make that trade. If they do have faith in him, I wouldn't.

yep, it would only have a chance if they envision Clowney being better than Aldon, at Aldon's spot. at minimum, just as good as Aldon but with NO off-field issues.

if someone wants to debate Clowney at Brooks spot - because Clowney also plays the run/TE SOLID - that MIGHT have a chance?

as it stands now, IMO this price is too high.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, it would only have a chance if they envision Clowney being better than Aldon, at Aldon's spot. at minimum, just as good as Aldon but with NO off-field issues.

if someone wants to debate Clowney at Brooks spot - because Clowney also plays the run/TE SOLID - that MIGHT have a chance?

as it stands now, IMO this price is too high.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Aldon is incredible. When he's on the field. The question is whether he can stay on the field. If he can't, then it doesn't matter how good he is. Clowney could still be very, very good - worth the trade - and still not be as good as Aldon if the FO believes that Aldon can't be trusted to keep his nose clean.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends if Aldon gets his act together. First and foremost, grow up and be accountable for yourself. He has let himself and the team down so many times. How much more patience can the Niners show towards him? He's such a tremendous talent, but that is useless if he cannot be on the field. I would say no to this trade, but it is tempting.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't necessarily agree with that. Aldon is incredible. When he's on the field. The question is whether he can stay on the field. If he can't, then it doesn't matter how good he is. Clowney could still be very, very good - worth the trade - and still not be as good as Aldon if the FO believes that Aldon can't be trusted to keep his nose clean.

so you would make this trade even if Clowney projects LESS than Aldon?

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Clowney is as good as advertised, yes.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've about had it with Aldon's antics.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so you would make this trade even if Clowney projects LESS than Aldon?

If I thought Aldon was going to continue messing up, yes, I would still make the trade if Clowney projects as being slightly less effective than him. Aldon Smith is arguably the most naturally talented pass rusher we've seen in a decade. And frankly, maybe ever. His production to this point in his career is on a par with Derrick Thomas, Bruce Smith, and Reggie White. I don't think anyone else is even in the discussion. It's unlikely Clowney will be as good in terms of pure ability to get to the QB. But if Aldon gets suspended for a year, and continues to get in trouble, he can't do anything.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't even trade Aldon for the #1 pick to get Clowney. Yeah Aldon has been in trouble but he is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. We don't even know what Clowney will be yet.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't even trade Aldon for the #1 pick to get Clowney. Yeah Aldon has been in trouble but he is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. We don't even know what Clowney will be yet.

But Aldon won't get to the QB if he's suspended. It doesn't benefit the Niners if he continues to be immature and gets in trouble.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Aldon won't get to the QB if he's suspended. It doesn't benefit the Niners if he continues to be immature and gets in trouble.

I would be surprised if Aldon was suspended longer than 4 games.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I thought Aldon was going to continue messing up, yes, I would still make the trade if Clowney projects as being slightly less effective than him. Aldon Smith is arguably the most naturally talented pass rusher we've seen in a decade. And frankly, maybe ever. His production to this point in his career is on a par with Derrick Thomas, Bruce Smith, and Reggie White. I don't think anyone else is even in the discussion. It's unlikely Clowney will be as good in terms of pure ability to get to the QB. But if Aldon gets suspended for a year, and continues to get in trouble, he can't do anything.

ok under this scenario, you would have to make this trade before 9:00 pm PST today, right? as far as Aldon's future 'off field issues' are concerned, you have to decide based on what you know today, you hinge on "if I thought.....".

ok, you'd make this trade right here right now, DESPITE projecting Clowney LESS than Aldon Smith. btw - you don't have to build up Aldon to make this opinion look better. we all know how good he is...All-Pro good.

IMO, don't like we're giving away more talent between these players (per your position), PLUS pick #56, in a deep draft. I'd rather use that #56 on a GOOD prospect, and keep working on Aldon.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok under this scenario, you would have to make this trade before 9:00 pm PST today, right? as far as Aldon's future 'off field issues' are concerned, you have to decide based on what you know today, you hinge on "if I thought.....".

ok, you'd make this trade right here right now, DESPITE projecting Clowney LESS than Aldon Smith. btw - you don't have to build up Aldon to make this opinion look better. we all know how good he is...All-Pro good.

IMO, don't like we're giving away more talent between these players (per your position), PLUS pick #56, in a deep draft. I'd rather use that #56 on a GOOD prospect, and keep working on Aldon.

Giving up talent, but not production if Aldon isn't on the field. I can't make the call because I have never spoken to Aldon Smith and really have no idea whether he can get his act together. I would need to look into his eyes and talk to him - ideally repeatedly - to make a call either way. I'd probably need a commitment from him to attend a 90-day in-patient alcohol program to feel entirely good about the decision....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some people never do......

i'll have to agree here, even though I'd keep Aldon plus #56. :-)

the far majority of people can make small changes/adjustments in their character, but not large ones. so while don't know what level of "immaturity" Aldon is at, have to agree we shouldn't expect any major change.

based on what i've read so far, I'd take my chances his level of immaturity isn't high. so in this case, hoping we don't need a large change.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New just Broke on NFL LIVE that the 49ers have picked up Aldon's 5th Year option