• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you be happier?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, Mad, who, in your opinion would the ACC have picked up after UMD left for the B11, had UL got the B12 invite? Fully half the ACC is either former BE schools, or are friendly toward WVU after sPitt and 'Cuse were added, so the votes would have been there.

I will respond to your request after you first respond to mine.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this troll with a picture of a man with two kids in front of a Ped State gate trolling our boards??

I have never seen a troll claim to be a Ped State, MU, SU, and a CU fan in one. Starting to remind me of the old ESPN board days, and Gary Davis.

We are happy to be in the Big 12 now move along....

i actually support PSU. The picture is of james franklin and it is up there just to piss off certain vandy/sec fans

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reading comprehension skills may indeed suck. But, please provide the quote from the article that supports your comment that SU was against UConn's inclusion in the ACC.

There isn't one. Whenever one comes and states that New Mexico would be a good region for expansion and throws in there that expanding into Florida will assist in WVU recruiting, I have to give up. I guess the fact that many of the kids on the team comes out of Florida doesn't mean anything.

Why would he even care what conference WVU landed in?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't one. Whenever one comes and states that New Mexico would be a good region for expansion and throws in there that expanding into Florida will assist in WVU recruiting, I have to give up. I guess the fact that many of the kids on the team comes out of Florida doesn't mean anything.

yeah i guess having a state that is bigger than WV and has no power schools would not be good for a future conference network :laugh3:

I guess someone needs a conference realignment 101 class about how the pac, b10, & acc all expanded to go after markets that were EXACTLY like that.

wvu recruiting
1 texas recruit, 4 florida recruits

5 texas recruits, 12 florida recruits

2 texas recruits, 6 florida recruits

1 texas recruit, 3 florida recruits

0 texas recruits, 7 florida recruits

but yes........do tell how I am such an idiot for suggesting that WVU would be better off (recruiting wise) with ucf/usf in the conference

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i guess having a state that is bigger than WV and has no power schools would not be good for a future conference network :laugh3:

I guess someone needs a conference realignment 101 class about how the pac, b10, & acc all expanded to go after markets that were EXACTLY like that.

wvu recruiting
1 texas recruit, 4 florida recruits

5 texas recruits, 12 florida recruits

2 texas recruits, 6 florida recruits

1 texas recruit, 3 florida recruits

0 texas recruits, 7 florida recruits

but yes........do tell how I am such an idiot for suggesting that WVU would be better off (recruiting wise) with ucf/usf in the conference

WOW - you have the balls to say somebody else's reading comprehension is low. WVU has been recruiting in Florida for a long, long time. And should you have already forgotten, Miami and USF were already members of the BE. Therefore, we already had a presence in both playing and recruiting in the state. Let's wrap up this Florida conversation. I never said that UCF and USF would be bad fits in the Big 12.

Perfect Segway to the next topic. I see no value in adding New Mexico, which I believe JUST about everybody who read it, will not add value to the Big 12. If New Mexico was such a hot bed, then why isn't the Pac-12 falling all over theirselves to add New Mexico? There are plenty more schools out there better than adding a school out of New Mexico. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. You don't have to use your infamous Realignment 101 to explain it to me as I still do not get what your reference to Texas versus Florida recruits for WVU. You're not a very good instructor.

So, I do not have to address why you are such an idiot. Go back and read what your wrote versus what others have replied. Maybe you will figure it out all on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW - you have the balls to say somebody else's reading comprehension is low. WVU has been recruiting in Florida for a long, long time. And should you have already forgotten, Miami and USF were already members of the BE. Therefore, we already had a presence in both playing and recruiting in the state. Let's wrap up this Florida conversation. I never said that UCF and USF would be bad fits in the Big 12.

Perfect Segway to the next topic. I see no value in adding New Mexico, which I believe JUST about everybody who read it, will not add value to the Big 12. If New Mexico was such a hot bed, then why isn't the Pac-12 falling all over theirselves to add New Mexico? There are plenty more schools out there better than adding a school out of New Mexico. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. You don't have to use your infamous Realignment 101 to explain it to me as I still do not get what your reference to Texas versus Florida recruits for WVU. You're not a very good instructor.

So, I do not have to address why you are such an idiot. Go back and read what your wrote versus what others have replied. Maybe you will figure it out all on your own.

i guess stupidity must be a west virginia thing. I know perfectly well that WVU has had success in FL. Why do you think I suggested it? To expand on something that has already worked out well for them in the past. You really think I would suggest something like that if there WASN'T a legitimate reason to suspect they would have success with it?

Do you really think WVU can continue to have the same success in FL now that they are no longer traveling there to play games? In the past if a FL recruit wanted to play in a northeast based conference WVU was the best possible option. Now if a FL recruit wants to come to WVU he is playing in a texas based conference at a school that is considered "average" or "lower tier." It is far to early to judge how exactly this will impact WVU recruiting long term but it is very hard to say that WVUs FL recruiting presence will stay the same with no florida presence. Recruiting in conf. realignment is a can of worms. CU actually saw a decrease in texas recruiting when they joined the b12, and an increase when they joined the pac12. Florida is where WVU traditionally recruits, and it has nearly 2x the amount of WVU alumni as the states of texas, iowa, kansas, & oklahoma combined. Why it is a dumb idea to suggest this is beyond me. :doh:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I was pretty clear why the pac12 didn't add NM. they are the only western school that has a texas presence (they wouldn't fit well in a cali based conference)

CU & utah at the times were better adds for the pac12. Considering the schools that have left it seems pretty clear that New Mexico is the best add from a market standpoint and from an academic standpoint they are a lot closer to being viewed as academic peers by osu, ou, tech, kansas & ksu than schools like TCU

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big12 expands BYU and UCF are the only ones left remotely worth taking.

ND will be the downfall of the ACC. Any conference that would let them take their bowl ties is stupid. Wait till they take one of the Tobacco Roads Bowls and there will be rumblings.

If the ACC would not have let them have their bowl tie in they would have been forced to join a conference. I think that scared the ACC.

The ACC makes less money off their TV contract then the Big12 and gave up their third tier rights. The Big12 is the only conference that has retained their third tier rights I think?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big12 expands BYU and UCF are the only ones left remotely worth taking.

ND will be the downfall of the ACC. Any conference that would let them take their bowl ties is stupid. Wait till they take one of the Tobacco Roads Bowls and there will be rumblings.

If the ACC would not have let them have their bowl tie in they would have been forced to join a conference. I think that scared the ACC.

The ACC makes less money off their TV contract then the Big12 and gave up their third tier rights. The Big12 is the only conference that has retained their third tier rights I think?

this is the biggest myth out there. when UMD left the ACC finally got smart in their contract negotiations. when ND joined the ACC was able to upgrade their contract by 3 mill per school which is exactly the same as the b12.

The tier 3 rights figures for the b12 are not as big as they seem. KU & wvu have some multi-million tier 3 contracts however only a small fraction of the money is for tier 3 television rights. Most of it is for stuff like advertising, signage, coaches shows, radio. The tier 3 advantage that the b12 has pretty minimal in the big picture. Texas & OU make a of extra money on it. But for the other b12 schools most of them make less than $1 mill on the tier 3 TV rights

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah... pretty funny. Old John comes to this thread to say he is not a troll... then starts trolling.

What do they say... beware of wolves dressed in sheep's clothing? He got me..

Speaking of sheep... it is awfully cold here in central NY... thinking I better find me one of them sheep to keep me warm tonight.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... pretty funny. Old John comes to this thread to say he is not a troll... then starts trolling.

Speaking of sheep... it is awfully cold here in central NY... thinking I better find me one of them sheep to keep me warm tonight.

i wouldn't say i was trolling (up until the last post at least). But that last post was just speaking the truth on a common misconception I always see.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the biggest myth out there. when UMD left the ACC finally got smart in their contract negotiations. when ND joined the ACC was able to upgrade their contract by 3 mill per school which is exactly the same as the b12.

The tier 3 rights figures for the b12 are not as big as they seem. KU & wvu have some multi-million tier 3 contracts however only a small fraction of the money is for tier 3 television rights. Most of it is for stuff like advertising, signage, coaches shows, radio. The tier 3 advantage that the b12 has pretty minimal in the big picture. Texas & OU make a of extra money on it. But for the other b12 schools most of them make less than $1 mill on the tier 3 TV rights

gotta link that proves any of this? From my understanding WVU's T3 will bring another 9mm per then there is the cut of the champions bowl , and I didn't think the ACC post ND add figures were ever made public, it was a guess (could be wrong).

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess stupidity must be a west virginia thing. I know perfectly well that WVU has had success in FL. Why do you think I suggested it? To expand on something that has already worked out well for them in the past. You really think I would suggest something like that if there WASN'T a legitimate reason to suspect they would have success with it?

Do you really think WVU can continue to have the same success in FL now that they are no longer traveling there to play games? In the past if a FL recruit wanted to play in a northeast based conference WVU was the best possible option. Now if a FL recruit wants to come to WVU he is playing in a texas based conference at a school that is considered "average" or "lower tier." It is far to early to judge how exactly this will impact WVU recruiting long term but it is very hard to say that WVUs FL recruiting presence will stay the same with no florida presence. Recruiting in conf. realignment is a can of worms. CU actually saw a decrease in texas recruiting when they joined the b12, and an increase when they joined the pac12. Florida is where WVU traditionally recruits, and it has nearly 2x the amount of WVU alumni as the states of texas, iowa, kansas, & oklahoma combined. Why it is a dumb idea to suggest this is beyond me. :doh:

or WVU could hire recruiters that are fantastic in the state of FL (like they have) and continue its relationships there like they did when Doc Holliday was roaming Morgantown and started those relationships...:whistle:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sure would hate for him to explain anything else. Still hasn't convinced me that adding New Mexico would be a good thing for the Big 12. Ol' Johnny doesn't know the new addition to the staff that would assist in the Florida recruiting pipeline. Similar to what Terry Smith is going to do at Penn State and recruiting southwestern PA.

He didn't get you. We all thought that Ol' Johnny was going to be a reputable poster on this board, but Wheat called him out. Funny that he admits to trolling. Sportshoopla seems to have a good hold on troll prevention.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or WVU could hire recruiters that are fantastic in the state of FL (like they have) and continue its relationships there like they did when Doc Holliday was roaming Morgantown and started those relationships...:whistle:

Shhhh.....don't tell him, Gold. He'll try to convince you that we need to send recruiters into that hotbed state of New Mexico or give you his famous Alignment 101 class.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta link that proves any of this? From my understanding WVU's T3 will bring another 9mm per then there is the cut of the champions bowl , and I didn't think the ACC post ND add figures were ever made public, it was a guess (could be wrong).

ohio states tier 3 contract
Ohio State lands $110M marketing rights deal - Columbus - Business First

osu gets 11 million per year from the same company that pays wvu 6.6 mill a year despite not giving them a single athletic game for tv broadcast. that alone should tell you just how lopsided and unfair it is to compare tier 3 deals between colleges. tier 3 is so complicated & different per school that it should never be cited to say school X can make more money than school Y if they join the b12. That $11 million a year tier 3 that Ohio state gets is one of just SEVEN major tier 3 contracts that osu has. And heres where the comparisons to other schools gets tricky. Michigan until 2008 didn't have a deal like that not because they are a bad school but because they managed all of that in house. Louisville gets 2 million a year for the naming rights to their BB stadium whereas syracuse gets $0 because they sold it away a couple of decades ago for one large sum. go down into apparel rights and it is an even bigger clusterfuck

so while your understanding is that wvu gets 9 million (i am not sure if that number is correct) a year. the truth is 8.2 million of that they will get regardless of if they are in the b12, p12, acc, sec, b10 or even the AAC. Unless you really think that 1 OOC football game, and the 5-9 OOC basketball games that all the other networks don't want is really valued at 6.6 mill or 9 mill a year.

All the b12 is doing is attaching small tier 3 tv rights contracts to massive regular tier 3 contracts and advertising them as a giant tv tier 3 contract. thats why when you had that FSU prez/board member (i forget what his position was) talking about joining the b12 he then immediately shut up within 24-48 hours because he realized the truth behind these mega b12 deals.

The grant of rights coincides with the ACC's TV deal with ESPN through the 2026-27 season. That deal was worth $17 million per school per year, but sources told ESPN last year it is expected to increase to at least $20 million per school per year with the addition of Notre Dame.
ACC media-rights deal to lock in schools OK'd by presidents - ESPN

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

do you deny that playing 1 FL game a year will help recruiting? Giving a recruit the option to have his family see him play once a year will go a much longer way than sending in recruiters to "continue relationships"

the way i see it is that it gives wvu the option to double down on florida recruiting because the texas recruiting isn't working out too well for them so far.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you deny that playing 1 FL game a year will help recruiting? Giving a recruit the option to have his family see him play once a year will go a much longer way than sending in recruiters to "continue relationships"

the way i see it is that it gives wvu the option to double down on florida recruiting because the texas recruiting isn't working out too well for them so far.

recruiting is far far more about relationships, in a state like Florida if Johnny_ star is hung up on playing in front of momma he likely is not the guy for us and wont stick anyway. Our Florida recruiting is going VERY well as is with good recruiters and the Big12 brand.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recruiting is far far more about relationships, in a state like Florida if Johnny_ star is hung up on playing in front of momma he likely is not the guy for us and wont stick anyway. Our Florida recruiting is going VERY well as is with good recruiters and the Big12 brand.

I dunno. there is a big difference between playing in front of momma every game vs giving his family that one game a year. while you can argue that they will be fine in the b12 the truth is that we can't say for sure because wvu has always been in a conference with a florida school.

It is hard to pitch playing in a midwest conference when you are not a midwest school. If your typical FL recruit has dreams of playing in a texas based conference he is going to do so playing for a texas school.

like i said recruiting is a can of worms and if you should learn anything about CU & the b12 is that you really can't predict what is gonna happen. WVU may have success in FL 5 years removed from the BE. But 10 years or if they have a major athletic downturn........it is going to be hard to recover from that.

CU managed to hang onto that texas pipeline for a few years, but once they had their first off season it was game over for CU & texas and they never recovered it.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't all of the B1G schools turn over their tier 3 rights to the conference so it could start the B1G Network?