• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would anyone be interested in Josh Johnson?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies need diamond in the rough type players, and Josh Johnson could fit the bill. I know that he has been awful this year, and he was just shut down due to a forearm strain. But only three years ago, he was a top 5 pitcher in baseball, and he could be signed incredibly cheap considering how bad he's been the past two years. I'm thinking he would be in the $5-8 million range. If he finishes May 15th with a 5.50 ERA, then he can be designated for assignment. He can't be any worse than Kendrick, Lannan, or Halladay were this year. I hope the Phils at least watch him throw a bullpen session during the offseason to see how he is recovering from his injury, and hopefully if he looks good, he will be signed.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since when are players who can't pitch a lick worth $5-$8 million and that is cheap??!!! What bullshit!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have track record that Johnson has, (58-45, 3.40 ERA, 124 ERA+, 1.26 WHIP, 23.9 WAR) a one year deal for 5-8 million dollars is pretty good. Obviously, a guy like Lannan will not get the same amount of money because he does not have the track record Johnson has, even if their 2013 seasons were similar. If you are alluding to the fact that baseball players get paid way too much, I agree.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies need diamond in the rough type players, and Josh Johnson could fit the bill. I know that he has been awful this year, and he was just shut down due to a forearm strain. But only three years ago, he was a top 5 pitcher in baseball, and he could be signed incredibly cheap considering how bad he's been the past two years. I'm thinking he would be in the $5-8 million range. If he finishes May 15th with a 5.50 ERA, then he can be designated for assignment. He can't be any worse than Kendrick, Lannan, or Halladay were this year. I hope the Phils at least watch him throw a bullpen session during the offseason to see how he is recovering from his injury, and hopefully if he looks good, he will be signed.

Lol!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry, I guess scouting a former Cy Young candidate who is rehabbing from arm injuries is a stupid idea. If healthy, a guy like Johnson could not bolster the back end of a rotation, especially a pitching staff as great as the Phillies. Better idea, let's just spend the same amount of money on Kendrick's arbitration! Their upsides are obviously equal. Thanks WestCoast!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point number one. What I was getting at is the GM's of baseball or consistently rationalizing in a similar manner of what you presented that justifies spending this outrageous money. Past accomplishments do lend themselves to future accomplishments to a point but when you add injuries, players not always return to past glory and then one is just dumping money down the drain.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When you have track record that Johnson has, (58-45, 3.40 ERA, 124 ERA+, 1.26 WHIP, 23.9 WAR) a one year deal for 5-8 million dollars is pretty good. Obviously, a guy like Lannan will not get the same amount of money because he does not have the track record Johnson has, even if their 2013 seasons were similar. If you are alluding to the fact that baseball players get paid way too much, I agree.

Johnson's career is plagued with injuries. He has lost four seasons to injuries to his shoulder, elbow, and forearm. He has only pitched 200 innings once in his eight seasons.

If they are going to take a risk on Johnson it needs to be for below $5 million.

You go on about Johnson's track record. But, his track record is more about injury than it is success. With the huge contracts that the Phillies already have, risking 5-8 million on a pitcher that has more of a chance of being injured than providing production isn't a risk they can afford.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm sorry, I guess scouting a former Cy Young candidate who is rehabbing from arm injuries is a stupid idea. If healthy, a guy like Johnson could not bolster the back end of a rotation, especially a pitching staff as great as the Phillies. Better idea, let's just spend the same amount of money on Kendrick's arbitration! Their upsides are obviously equal. Thanks WestCoast!

That's a big if. The Phillies should not blow 5-8 million on Johnson OR Kendrick. It is not an either or situation.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is caligula, it would be stupid to immediately dismiss the idea of at least scouting him. Kendrick will be getting a raise during his arbitration trial. We spent 5 mil on John Lannan last year. Ruben signed Carlos Zambrano. Hell, we were linked to Edinson Volquez just three days ago. If he's willing to take a risk on these shitty players, I don't see what the problem is with at least scouting Johnson. We just saved a lot of money with the MAG deal, Doc (and possibly Ruiz) are coming off the books, and we have a new TV deal forthcoming. It's not like we are strapped for money.

I would like to see them trade Kendrick. A team like the Padres or Indians could be looking to add a cheap 4th or 5th starter. If Johnson looks healthy, a rotation of
Hamels
Lee
MAG
Johnson
Morgan/Pettibone/Martin (spring training competition)

could be good. I know there a lot of iffs in there. A lot. A player who has never pitched at any level in MLB. A pitcher coming back from arm injuries. Three rookies trying to make the 5th spot. But it could work, and I like it a lot more than our 2013 opening day rotation that included Doc, Kendrick, and Lannan. Doc was a bigger if than Johnson and MAG combined, and we all knew that Lannan nor Kendrick would be very good.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with josh johnson is, he's always hurt. there's no winning situation to achieve by signing him.

lets say he signs a small 1 year deal (which he wouldn't because at age 29, he would still get more despite the injuries.) then what? you have to deal with his injuries all year.

if by some miracle he stays healthy, that's just as bad (if not worse.) ok, so you might get a year of solid pitching. but then you just let him walk? you sign him to a big deal only to watch him hit the DL continually? you can't win.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with josh johnson is, he's always hurt. there's no winning situation to achieve by signing him.

lets say he signs a small 1 year deal (which he wouldn't because at age 29, he would still get more despite the injuries.) then what? you have to deal with his injuries all year.

if by some miracle he stays healthy, that's just as bad (if not worse.) ok, so you might get a year of solid pitching. but then you just let him walk? you sign him to a big deal only to watch him hit the DL continually? you can't win.

Even if the scenario played out where Johnson pitches well, but the Phillies do not want to resign him due to past injury problems, he still could have added roughly 4-5 wins to the 2014 Phillies win total. I know many fans do not view the 2014 Phillies as a playoff team (I know that I think it's a longshot), all would not have gone to waste as he could have possibly helped them reach the playoffs, if indeed they are a but competitive team next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

1905 Giants

History Enthusiast
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks. But if you give the M's a holler about some of your other players and they may bite.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will he be healthy?? This team has enough injury issues with old guys to deal with, can't add another absentee pitcher who could or could not be here all year....if he's healthy and the price is right go for it but its a very risky move in my opinion.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When will he be healthy?? This team has enough injury issues with old guys to deal with, can't add another absentee pitcher who could or could not be here all year....if he's healthy and the price is right go for it but its a very risky move in my opinion.
Agreed.

The Phillies have ugly contracts, ages, and health problems. This high risk move needs to come cheaper than $5-8 million.