• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Clase could arguably command an even larger haul, potentially netting the Guardians multiple top-100 prospects and/or young MLB-ready players."

That is a very steep price.
indeed it is but an equivalent free agent would be Josh Hader at 18M AAV over 6 or 7 years.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
indeed it is but an equivalent free agent would be Josh Hader at 18M AAV over 6 or 7 years.
That would be at least 2 of the following:

Carter
Langford
Walcott
Porter

I wouldn't even want to trade one of them for Clase.

scotsman#1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be at least 2 of the following:

Carter
Langford
Walcott
Porter

I wouldn't even want to trade one of them for Clase.
nor i but would it hurt to see what it would take. according to other articles the 3 main teams that would be interested would be the Rangers, Dodgers & Yankees.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nor i but would it hurt to see what it would take. according to other articles the 3 main teams that would be interested would be the Rangers, Dodgers & Yankees.
It wouldn't hurt to see, but I would fully expect the asking price to be way too much, based on recent deals that the article mentioned.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dec. 1: Are Rangers zeroing in on Montgomery?
Montgomery’s chances of returning to the Texas Rangers might be growing, with the club bowing out of the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes -- per a report from ESPN’s Jeff Passan (subscription required) -- to focus on other targets.

After winning the World Series with a roster heavily built through free agency, the Rangers emerged as one of the early favorites to land Ohtani this offseason. However, the two-way superstar appears to be off the table.

Passan’s report comes after Rangers general manager Chris Young said Thursday that they “expect to be active in free agency, but probably not spending at the level that we have spent in previous offseasons.”

The six-year, $140 million deal Patrick Corbin signed with the Nationals after the 2018 season is one some executives are looking to as a “reasonable landing spot” for Montgomery this offseason, according to Passan. Such a deal would put Texas above the Competitive Balance Tax threshold for the second straight season. Including projected salaries for arbitration-eligible players, Cot's Baseball Contracts estimates the Rangers are currently between $10 million and $11 million below the $237 million tax line.

Passan mentions the Cubs and Red Sox as possible suitors for Montgomery in addition to the Rangers. Passan previously pointed to the Mets as a team that could pursue Montgomery, something that was echoed by SNY's Andy Martino on Thursday.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dec. 1: Are Rangers zeroing in on Montgomery?
Montgomery’s chances of returning to the Texas Rangers might be growing, with the club bowing out of the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes -- per a report from ESPN’s Jeff Passan (subscription required) -- to focus on other targets.

After winning the World Series with a roster heavily built through free agency, the Rangers emerged as one of the early favorites to land Ohtani this offseason. However, the two-way superstar appears to be off the table.

Passan’s report comes after Rangers general manager Chris Young said Thursday that they “expect to be active in free agency, but probably not spending at the level that we have spent in previous offseasons.”

The six-year, $140 million deal Patrick Corbin signed with the Nationals after the 2018 season is one some executives are looking to as a “reasonable landing spot” for Montgomery this offseason, according to Passan. Such a deal would put Texas above the Competitive Balance Tax threshold for the second straight season. Including projected salaries for arbitration-eligible players, Cot's Baseball Contracts estimates the Rangers are currently between $10 million and $11 million below the $237 million tax line.

Passan mentions the Cubs and Red Sox as possible suitors for Montgomery in addition to the Rangers. Passan previously pointed to the Mets as a team that could pursue Montgomery, something that was echoed by SNY's Andy Martino on Thursday.
Hope to sign Montgomery, not big on Otanhi as a DH. After two TJS who knows what he will be able on the mound at a huge contract. He can bankrupt a team.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Then, there is Justin Foscue, who some fans and experts have been attempting to trade since the Rangers signed Marcus Semien two years ago. Foscue is a second baseman and is blocked from everyday playing time by Semien. Third base is Foscue’s other position, and Jung isn’t going anywhere.

Foscue looks like an obvious trade candidate.

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a spot for him.

The Rangers’ first-round pick in 2020 (14th overall) can hit, and the Rangers will always find a spot for a hitter. Instead of using Foscue in a trade, the Rangers could plug him in at designated hitter.

They might need to do that.

At the very least, Foscue, who was added to the 40-man roster last month, should get an opportunity to win a spot on the Opening Day roster in spring training along with outfielder Dustin Harris and first baseman Blaine Crim.

General manager Chris Young said the prospects will have competition, which means the Rangers want to add veteran hitters to the camp roster. Robbie Grossman could be a candidate to reprise the role he had in 2023.

“It’s going to be performance-driven,” Young said. “We’re going to continue to be open-minded in terms of whether it’s bringing back somebody that was on the roster last year who’s a free agent or finding good fits that complement what’s a very good core offensive group going into next year.”

Foscue is spending a second straight offseason in Arizona, where he and his wife moved a year ago. Making contact has never been the issue for Foscue. In fact, it’s a strength and why the Rangers believe he will hit in the majors.

They want to make sure he’s making better contact more consistently, that the bat travels a tick quicker and that there’s a little more elevation in his swing, potentially turning some of the 31 doubles he collected this year at Triple A Round Rock into home runs.

He connected for 18 homers in 462 at-bats and endured an August slump that kept him from being a potential September call-up. But the at-bat quality was there; Foscue took 85 walks and struck out only 70 times.

Huff, Crim and Harris could get DH at-bats, too. All three can play first base and potentially give Nathaniel Lowe a day off his feet. Duran could lay claim to the job.

Among candidates from the minors, though, Foscue could be the favorite for significant at-bats.

Stop trying to trade him.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Then, there is Justin Foscue, who some fans and experts have been attempting to trade since the Rangers signed Marcus Semien two years ago. Foscue is a second baseman and is blocked from everyday playing time by Semien. Third base is Foscue’s other position, and Jung isn’t going anywhere.

Foscue looks like an obvious trade candidate.

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a spot for him.

The Rangers’ first-round pick in 2020 (14th overall) can hit, and the Rangers will always find a spot for a hitter. Instead of using Foscue in a trade, the Rangers could plug him in at designated hitter.

They might need to do that.

At the very least, Foscue, who was added to the 40-man roster last month, should get an opportunity to win a spot on the Opening Day roster in spring training along with outfielder Dustin Harris and first baseman Blaine Crim.

General manager Chris Young said the prospects will have competition, which means the Rangers want to add veteran hitters to the camp roster. Robbie Grossman could be a candidate to reprise the role he had in 2023.

“It’s going to be performance-driven,” Young said. “We’re going to continue to be open-minded in terms of whether it’s bringing back somebody that was on the roster last year who’s a free agent or finding good fits that complement what’s a very good core offensive group going into next year.”

Foscue is spending a second straight offseason in Arizona, where he and his wife moved a year ago. Making contact has never been the issue for Foscue. In fact, it’s a strength and why the Rangers believe he will hit in the majors.

They want to make sure he’s making better contact more consistently, that the bat travels a tick quicker and that there’s a little more elevation in his swing, potentially turning some of the 31 doubles he collected this year at Triple A Round Rock into home runs.

He connected for 18 homers in 462 at-bats and endured an August slump that kept him from being a potential September call-up. But the at-bat quality was there; Foscue took 85 walks and struck out only 70 times.

Huff, Crim and Harris could get DH at-bats, too. All three can play first base and potentially give Nathaniel Lowe a day off his feet. Duran could lay claim to the job.

Among candidates from the minors, though, Foscue could be the favorite for significant at-bats.

Please no Grossman.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foscue could be the favorite for significant at-bats.

Agreed 100%. He's a natural hitter and could easily plug in at DH and be productive. Plus, given his ability to play 2B and 3B, he could spell Semien and Jung defensively from time to time, allowing them to DH to get a break from playing in the field.
Not to mention he's cheap and would save the team money on a DH that could be used on bullpen help.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed 100%. He's a natural hitter and could easily plug in at DH and be productive. Plus, given his ability to play 2B and 3B, he could spell Semien and Jung defensively from time to time, allowing them to DH to get a break from playing in the field.
Not to mention he's cheap and would save the team money on a DH that could be used on bullpen help.
It's hard for me to come out and say he is a natural hitter. But I feel that way about most minor league players. Langford to me is one of those exceptions but not Foscue. Now that doesn't mean I am saying he couldn't be but I would need to see how he does at the MLB level.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard for me to come out and say he is a natural hitter. But I feel that way about most minor league players. Langford to me is one of those exceptions but not Foscue. Now that doesn't mean I am saying he couldn't be but I would need to see how he does at the MLB level.
To me he has done well enough to be given a shot. That doesn't guarantee he will succeed, especially not if Bochy is impatient with him. I imagine he will have some struggles at times early on. Almost everyone not named Evan Carter does. Lol

Now if he is put into a situation where he only plays twice a week, I think he will surely fail.