• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think that he eventually will but you still need an option until he does prove he can...
I guess it will depend on where they place veteran OF platoon partner on the priority list. It could be they would like one, but after filling other perceived needs they just can't do that too. Combined, we have all mentioned lots of different areas we would like to see shored up. Some of what we collectively see as needs will go unfulfilled, like some relief pitching spots went unfulfilled last offseason.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it will depend on where they place veteran OF platoon partner on the priority list. It could be they would like one, but after filling other perceived needs they just can't do that too. Combined, we have all mentioned lots of different areas we would like to see shored up. Some of what we collectively see as needs will go unfulfilled, like some relief pitching spots went unfulfilled last offseason.

Well there is 5 open roster spots as of this moment I can see them getting 1-2 SP, 2-3 RP and 2-3 position players. There is currently some low hanging fruit on the roster so I can see some being DFA'd/released/traded to accommodate better players. And I wouldn't doubt they don't fill some of those positions until right at the end of ST when other players get released and maybe some we signed to Minors contracts step up...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is 5 open roster spots as of this moment I can see them getting 1-2 SP, 2-3 RP and 2-3 position players. There is currently some low hanging fruit on the roster so I can see some being DFA'd/released/traded to accommodate better players. And I wouldn't doubt they don't fill some of those positions until right at the end of ST when other players get released and maybe some we signed to Minors contracts step up...
Yeah, the roster spots wouldn't be tough to come by. It was what fits in the budget that I had in mind.

Unless they just want a warm body. If so, then that wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the roster spots wouldn't be tough to come by. It was what fits in the budget that I had in mind.

Unless they just want a warm body. If so, then that wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade.
Do we know how much they’re willing to take on?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know how much they’re willing to take on?
Not exactly, nor do we know what they are willing to spend on each piece. If they have $40 AAV to spend and want to sign Montgomery and Hader then that takes care of it. If it is Hader, but not Nontgomery then they might be able to afford 2 or 3 other guys depending on how much they cost.

I have read that they do not want to go over the Luxury Tax Threshold, but nothing is certain. If they do, how much over?

I just don't expect they will have much to spend on a quality hitting platoon partner for Carter after they spend on other things. They didn't even spend on LF last year without Carter.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly, nor do we know what they are willing to spend on each piece. If they have $40 AAV to spend and want to sign Montgomery and Hader then that takes care of it. If it is Hader, but not Nontgomery then they might be able to afford 2 or 3 other guys depending on how much they cost.

I have read that they do not want to go over the Luxury Tax Threshold, but nothing is certain. If they do, how much over?

I just don't expect they will have much to spend on a quality hitting platoon partner for Carter after they spend on other things. They didn't even spend on LF last year without Carter.
I think after this last season the owners and FO will be more likely to do whatever it takes a better team

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think after this last season the owners and FO will be more likely to do whatever it takes a better team
So would they try to sign Belinger, Montgomery, Hader, 2 other good relievers, Ohtani, Yamamota,an established good hitting RH LF, and Garver? Those would all be moves that make them a better team. Or, would they only spend a certain amount and then cut off spending?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Traderumors:

The first stage is a round of phone calls and Zoom meetings with all of the interested teams. Yamamoto is then expected to arrive in the United States for a series of in-person meetings and further negotiations with however many finalists make this second and presumably last stage of talks. The timeline for these in-person sitdowns is after baseball’s Winter Meetings (December 4-7), which will allow teams a better sense of the pitching market if some other top hurlers are signed or traded in the interim, and allows Yamamoto’s camp that same knowledge as well as perhaps extra negotiating leverage, if remaining suitors are even more desperate for pitching.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would they try to sign Belinger, Montgomery, Hader, 2 other good relievers, Ohtani, Yamamota,an established good hitting RH LF, and Garver? Those would all be moves that make them a better team. Or, would they only spend a certain amount and then cut off spending?
Montgomery and the pen has to be #1.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No maybe Montgomery, Hader, 3 or 4 good relievers & Garver. That would be a better opening day roster with Langford & Carter in LF and CF. Nothing insane but solid.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No maybe Montgomery, Hader, 3 or 4 good relievers & Garver. That would be a better opening day roster with Langford & Carter in LF and CF. Nothing insane but solid.
Then we agree. There will be a limit to what they spend. That is why I wrote this earlier, when I said this:

"Not exactly, nor do we know what they are willing to spend on each piece. If they have $40 AAV to spend and want to sign Montgomery and Hader then that takes care of it. If it is Hader, but not Nontgomery then they might be able to afford 2 or 3 other guys depending on how much they cost."

"I have read that they do not want to go over the Luxury Tax Threshold, but nothing is certain. If they do, how much over?"

"I just don't expect they will have much to spend on a quality hitting platoon partner for Carter after they spend on other things. They didn't even spend on LF last year without Carter."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2023 opening day roster: Duran, Garcia, Garver, Grossman, Heim, Jankowski, Jung, Lowe, Miller, Seager, Semien, Smith & Thompson.

My projected 2024 Opening Day roster: Carter, Duran, Foscue, Garcia, Garver, Harris, Heim, Jankowski, Jung, Langford, Lowe, Seager & Semien.

Pitching Scherzer, Eovaldi, Montgomery, Dunning & Gray
Bullpen: Sborz, Leclerc, Heaney, FA, FA, FA, FA, Hader

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said to a “certain extent” I said they would make the opening day roster better than 2023
No, you did not use those words, but you did specify certain players and not any others that would also help. To me, that equates to "a certain extent." In other words, they will spend to make the team better by adding certain players, but not others. Meaning there is a limit on their willingness to spend. Is that a fair assessment?