• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were guys on here who did not want a catcher who hit as badly as Hedges back when the trade was first announced.

It was an emergency stop-gap move at the time. There is no emergency situation now.

Not wanting your team to have such a poor career hitter on your team is not venom or disgust, it is common sense.
Being third catcher means very little playing time. Little playing time equates to poor hitting. The both says he is not needed. Send him down to the minors and if an emergency arises, call him up. Now you have more bench space for a more productive player. Not hard to understand. Try and see.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being third catcher means very little playing time. Little playing time equates to poor hitting. The both says he is not needed. Send him down to the minors and if an emergency arises, call him up. Now you have more bench space for a more productive player. Not hard to understand. Try and see.
How often have we carried three catchers over the last few years? Other than September, that is?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often have we carried three catchers over the last few years? Other than September, that is?
The only reason we traded for Hedges was we didn’t know if Heim would be able to play again after his wrist injury

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many b/c we do not have a need.
if you make Huff the backup catcher that hardly plays then there is no need but if Huff is DH you need a backup and the backup rarely plays

So not seeing the need to beat the horse on this
Just a difference of opinion on a back up catcher and I do think saying Hedges full arsenal as a catcher is framing is shortchanging him . Seems like you said you caught.

Defensively I don’t think Huff can catch as well as Heim. Obviously offensively I like Huff better
But I see little ABs for a backup catcher which for some reason dominates our discussion

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you make Huff the backup catcher that hardly plays then there is no need but if Huff is DH you need a backup and the backup rarely plays

So not seeing the need to beat the horse on this
Just a difference of opinion on a back up catcher and I do think saying Hedges full arsenal as a catcher is framing is shortchanging him . Seems like you said you caught.

Defensively I don’t think Huff can catch as well as Heim. Obviously offensively I like Huff better
But I see little ABs for a backup catcher which for some reason dominates our discussion
For a while we were only carrying Heim and Garver with Garver DH’ing

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a while we were only carrying Heim and Garver with Garver DH’ing
That was a bit rare and when it got to crunch time then Garver was primary DH.

As a general rule it makes no sense to have 3 catchers on active roster.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never suggest this. Framed question. Lol

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will bite. Love to see that article. Lol

I think Bobby Wilson has helped everyone here though. But what do I know? Credit is a weird thing. Hitters and pitchers do at times get better with coaching it seems
Bobby has been a good teacher no doubt, he's probably been more successful teaching guys to be better than he's failed... :nod:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can also find several articles from the time of the trade that mention Heim's skills, but they fail to mention framing.

Field: Solid receiver. Catches everything around the plate. Sometimes will use long arms to attempt to grab pitches low and away rather than block. Long legs might prevent him from getting up quickly to get to potential wild pitches that run high. Appears to be better framing up and down in the zone instead of east and west. Doesn't really steal many strikes but won't cost any strikes with his receiving. Grade: 50

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seem like you guys have a vendetta against Hedges since he is in your eyes only a cheerleader. He just rubs you the wrong way and it comes across as personal venom lol
Folks got spoiled by/used to Pudge and there hasn't been one since although Jonah is trying. And they've seen more of their fair share of catchers that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag and so they want to see someone who can hit better than Hedges... :noidea:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess no news before Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!! I have a lot to be thankful for. On top of more important personal blessings, we all have a lot to be thankful for as Rangers fans. I am also thankful I have you guys to chat/discuss/argue with.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Field: Solid receiver. Catches everything around the plate. Sometimes will use long arms to attempt to grab pitches low and away rather than block. Long legs might prevent him from getting up quickly to get to potential wild pitches that run high. Appears to be better framing up and down in the zone instead of east and west. Doesn't really steal many strikes but won't cost any strikes with his receiving. Grade: 50
Yep, that is about what I expected. He has definitely improved significantly in the framing department since then.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folks got spoiled by/used to Pudge and there hasn't been one since although Jonah is trying. And they've seen more of their fair share of catchers that couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag and so they want to see someone who can hit better than Hedges... :noidea:
My whole point is he is a backup who I prefer as a catcher to be defense first.

Great hitting catchers as a backup just don’t exist but I would rather err on the side of defense and working with pitchers.

I guess to each their own

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Thanksgiving everyone

A great year as a Ranger fan. Bucket list on this count achieved. Good health to all

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a bit rare and when it got to crunch time then Garver was primary DH.

As a general rule it makes no sense to have 3 catchers on active roster.
Only way would be if you had two backups like Napoli and Huff who could play other positions, but not the same position though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember being spoiled with Sundberg.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that is about what I expected. He has definitely improved significantly in the framing department since then.

Most players do progress if they're open minded, have decent physical skills and have good teachers... :nod:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most players do progress if they're open minded, have decent physical skills and have good teachers... :nod:
So it should be easy to find a guy who can be a better backup catcher than Hedges then, since we already have a good teacher in place.