• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I do hope we sign Shohei but I also hope a guy like Cody can come back on-a minor league contract. From his recent post he is still connected to Texas and TR S thinks highly of him. Don’t think the book is closed just yet
It will be interesting to see if he improves another year removed from his surgery.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has got to be a better hitter than Hedges who can catch. In fact, I would imagine almost all the listed free agent catchers could hit better than him. Even Oakland should be able to have 2 or 3 better catchers than Hedges on their team.
I sure there are better hitters but better defensively I am thinking not

But if there are near equal defensive options bring it on. If Jonah went down obviously in would want Huff above him but to close out games and a few getaway games Hedges is ok if you limit his ABs

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com believes the reunion that makes the most sense is Montgomery and the Rangers:

Montgomery pitched well for the Rangers after the Trade Deadline, going 4-2 with a 2.79 ERA in 11 regular-season starts. Jacob deGrom won’t return until at least next August, Martín Pérez is a free agent and both Max Scherzer and Andrew Heaney will be free agents next winter, so the Rangers could sign Montgomery – who was impressive in the postseason – to a multi-year deal to fortify the rotation moving forward.

As far as Montgomery, the price tag is expected to go over $100 million, but, as noted, the rotation should have openings for 2025. Texas could be in the market, either via free agency or trade, for starters such as Brandon Woodruff and Corbin Burnes – both pitched for the Milwaukee Brewers this past season – or Dylan Cease of the Chicago White Sox.

The Rangers also appear prepared to spend a good chunk on relief help, with San Diego Padres free-agent closer Josh Hader rumored to be headed to

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre, is on the hall of fame ballot.

As much of a surefire, no-brainer 1st ballot nominee as there can be even though we know how silly the voters can be with surefire, no-brainer 1st ballot nominees.

So now we wait...

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be a nice trip to make to Cooperstown this summer!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has got to be a better hitter than Hedges who can catch. In fact, I would imagine almost all the listed free agent catchers could hit better than him. Even Oakland should be able to have 2 or 3 better catchers than Hedges on their team.
No to Hedges. He does not play enough to warrant sitting and acting like a cheerleader. Any FA would be better.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure there are better hitters but better defensively I am thinking not

But if there are near equal defensive options bring it on. If Jonah went down obviously in would want Huff above him but to close out games and a few getaway games Hedges is ok if you limit his ABs
I guess we just look at the situation overall a whole lot differently. I wouldn't want the best defensive catcher in the history of the game if he was as bad of a hitter as Hedges.

In fact, I don't even see a need for the backup catcher to be better than average defensively if it also means he is even close to a .200 hitter.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we just look at the situation overall a whole lot differently. I wouldn't want the best defensive catcher in the history of the game if he was as bad of a hitter as Hedges.

In fact, I don't even see a need for the backup catcher to be better than average defensively if it also means he is even close to a .200 hitter.
Yeah I like my backups to be real good defensively especially at catcher and CF.
If Heim goes down we will need someone other than Hedges to play daily which is likely Huff

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re backups. I kind of like Zeke starting out in AAA unless he takes the DH. Josh Smith can be the utility guy. I think he is better defensively but Zeke bat has more upside
So if we lose an infielder then Zeke comes up to replace

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not heard much winter ball news or did I miss?

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I like my backups to be real good defensively especially at catcher and CF.
If Heim goes down we will need someone other than Hedges to play daily which is likely Huff
The few times I’ve seen hedges play this past season, I wasn’t impressed with him defensively. Can he even throw runners out anymore. If he’s so good defensively someone would have signed him as soon as he became a free agent. I googled best defensive catcher and didn’t see his name anywhere.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not heard much winter ball news or did I miss?
Crim started off very slowly, but he picked it up for awhile and now he is struggling again. OPS of just over .700.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The few times I’ve seen hedges play this past season, I wasn’t impressed with him defensively. Can he even throw runners out anymore. If he’s so good defensively someone would have signed him as soon as he became a free agent. I googled best defensive catcher and didn’t see his name anywhere.
I think you came up blank because he is a nonstarter but he is a known good framer. When in San Diego he was known defensively and we have coveted him for a bit but yes his days of starting is over. Here is a quote I found

Hedges leads all of MLB at 11. When it comes to FanGraphs' defensive runs saved, only two have been better. One has topped him with that site's calculation of fielding runs above average.Jul 27, 2023

Some catchers know how to handle pitchers well and really call the games.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crim started off very slowly, but he picked it up for awhile and now he is struggling again. OPS of just over .700.
Josh has barely gotten started.