• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champion San Franciso Giants

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. After the Ducks' failed bid for a National Championship, I had to type it again to make myself feel better. One thought from the game: I think Cam Newton is an NFL Defensive End/Line Backer, but not an NFL QB. I'm assuming the Niners will draft him to be the latter (ugh).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. After the Ducks' failed bid for a National Championship, I had to type it again to make myself feel better. One thought from the game: I think Cam Newton is an NFL Defensive End/Line Backer, but not an NFL QB. I'm assuming the Niners will draft him to be the latter (ugh).

I can't see Harbaugh wanting that clown.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it make sense for the Niners to try to trade down and get Locker in the 17-22 range?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it make sense for the Niners to try to trade down and get Locker in the 17-22 range?

I don't think so. I'm thinking they'll take a good run at Asomugha and draft another CB (Amukamara?) in the first round.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. I'm thinking they'll take a good run at Asomugha and draft another CB (Amukamara?) in the first round.

I am FAR from a Draftnic, but isn't it conventional wisdom to not draft a DB in the first 15 or so picks?

We pick, what, 8? If we could drop down 10 spots or so and get Locker AND a couple 2s or 3s, it may help the over all talent level of the team, and allow Harbaugh a chance to put more of his signature on the team.

Remember what happened to the last QB who was supposed to be the #1 pick but stayed in school? We can not miss out on that opportunity...

(Leinart, if you missed who I was referring to)

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am FAR from a Draftnic, but isn't it conventional wisdom to not draft a DB in the first 15 or so picks?

We pick, what, 8? If we could drop down 10 spots or so and get Locker AND a couple 2s or 3s, it may help the over all talent level of the team, and allow Harbaugh a chance to put more of his signature on the team.

Remember what happened to the last QB who was supposed to be the #1 pick but stayed in school? We can not miss out on that opportunity...

I really like the Asomugha idea. I would consider drafting a D-End or Outside Linebacker that pretty much only pass rushes (don't know if Harbaugh is planning on reverting SF back to the 4-3 or stay with the 3-4), if they landed the only decent Raider beside Seymour and McClain. I'm against Locker. The Niners need a QB with a better completion percentage. 55% is not good enough, especially against college defenses (to compare, Andrew Luck completed 70% of his passes against mostly the same defenses, albeit with a better supporting cast). Some of that can be blamed on his receivers, but an elite QB should carry a team, much like Cam Newton did (even though he isn't an NFL QB). Of course, he did well against Nebraska, but I think it was pretty obvious that the Pac-10 was stronger than people thought and the Big 12 was weaker. Even then, he didn't dominate. The defense finally stepped up in that 19-7 squeaker.

Locker is a proto-type NFL QB as far as size, arm strength and mobility. His pocket presence and accuracy need a lot of work. Sound like anybody you know that the Niners drafted with a No. 1 pick? Locker, to me, is Alex Smith 2.0. He may be more successful than Alex because he would be stepping into a much better situation right off the bat, and he won't have the pressure of being high draft pick (you're right to think he'll go in the early to mid-20s, though he might slip farther because those teams don't need QBs). In closing, I wouldn't be completely against trading down and nabbing Locker, but he definitely won't develop into the QB the Niners need within the next 3 years. If they grab him, I hope I'm wrong, but this team (especially if they pick up Asomugha) is on a two-year plan to compete for the Super Bowl, not a five-year one.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've not heard that piece of "conventional wisdom." I've heard that in general you don't draft a LB or a S high, but there are going to be two CBs gone in the first 10 picks this year. I'm sure Baalke will look at all his possibilities, but I can't see Harbaugh wanting Locker. I guess at the end of the day I think Locker is just too inaccurate and doesn't have the heart to be a good NFL QB.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Wasn't Ronnie Lott a #8 pick?