• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Marshall's Contract Up After 2014

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to think Jeffery's recent performance has given the Bears a bit of leverage to negotiate, and as long as Cutler is here. You have to think Brandon is going to do everything in his power to stay.

Hopefully, we can somehow manage to keep the two together, but it will cost us a pretty penny. If we're forced to choose, I have to believe they'll stick with the younger guy in Jeffery.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this offense is clicking the way it has been after the 2014 season,you have to resign him.
Denvers defense is really not that much,and they keep winning cause of offense.
I`m all for offense anymore..........

I think the way the bears f-ofice needs to think is,free agent offense(of course its proven what they can do) and save the draft for defense.
Offense is the way to go in the NFL.........you can win with out defense.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Offense is the way to go in the NFL.........you can win with out defense.

Don't tell that to Washington (#9 offense, #22 defense -> terrible team), Seattle (#13 offense, #1 defense -> great team), Carolina (#26 offense, #2 defense -> very good team), San Francisco (#28 offense, #4 defense -> Super Bowl last year and good team this year), Baltimore (#29 offense, #9 defense -> decent team), Atlanta (#13 offense, #26 defense -> tied for worst record in NFC), Minnesota (#14 offense, #31 defense -> other team tied for worst record in NFC), and Arizona (#18 offense, #5 defense, strong playoff chances).

I realize it is often said that defense doesn't matter and offense does. But that is simply not true at all. The evidence proves it.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell that to Washington (#9 offense, #22 defense -> terrible team), Seattle (#13 offense, #1 defense -> great team), Carolina (#26 offense, #2 defense -> very good team), San Francisco (#28 offense, #4 defense -> Super Bowl last year and good team this year), Baltimore (#29 offense, #9 defense -> decent team), Atlanta (#13 offense, #26 defense -> tied for worst record in NFC), Minnesota (#14 offense, #31 defense -> other team tied for worst record in NFC), and Arizona (#18 offense, #5 defense, strong playoff chances).

I realize it is often said that defense doesn't matter and offense does. But that is simply not true at all. The evidence proves it.

And what evidence is that.......back in the day?

Last seasons SB winner,the Ravens D was ranked 17th......SF 3rd.
2011 SB winner NY Giants ranked 27th.....NE`s 31st.
the Pack`s SB season had two top 10 defenses,but was not a defensive battle.
Year before,Colts/Saints....Indy 18th ranked,NO 25th.

Give me that offense...........

Seattle has a top offense to go with that defense this season.
So does Denver,they have a great o to help out that terrible def.
philly,dallas,Detroit,Chicago,GB,NE,Indy......All playoff worthy with terrible defenses.

And the SB is not for the defenses.its a high scoring game.
Show me the offense,and you will see a SB team.

C

cubzzzfanincali

And what evidence is that.......back in the day?

Seattle has a top offense to go with that defense this season.

I just rattled off a list of evidence. And last year's 49ers were a top defense with an average offense. And most of the Super Bowl teams you rattled off had defenses whose ranking suffered because their opponents were coming from behind and the teams in question were often in yard-allowing, score-preventing Prevent defenses most of the 4th quarters. Nobody seriously thinks the Green Bay defense the year they won the Super Bowl was a bad defense, certainly not worst in the league.

And Seattle's offense is not "top" anything. They are extremely average.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just rattled off a list of evidence. And last year's 49ers were a top defense with an average offense. And most of the Super Bowl teams you rattled off had defenses whose ranking suffered because their opponents were coming from behind and the teams in question were often in yard-allowing, score-preventing Prevent defenses most of the 4th quarters. Nobody seriously thinks the Green Bay defense the year they won the Super Bowl was a bad defense, certainly not worst in the league.

And Seattle's offense is not "top" anything. They are extremely average.

That got beat by.......wait for it.......A top notch offense.

Sorry,but this day and age,its the offense that will win the SB.
When was the last defensive battle in a SB?........08?

lets try this a different way:

2012 Ravens-Defense ranked 17th,won..........16th offense
2011 Giants - 27th,won.........No.8 offense.
2010 Pack-5th,won......No.9 offense
2009 saints-25th,won......No.1 offense

what did the three of the four winners all have....offense.And its gonna be trending.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best teams are the ones that do both. Offense and Defense. You have to be great at one and decent at the other. The rankings you both are giving are yearly stats but have little to do with how the teams were playing at playoff time.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I wouldn't call last years' Ravens a "top notch offense" under any meaning of those words. Period. The Ravens had a decent offense and a more vulnerable but still decent defense that generated a lot of turnovers when the team got hot and went on it's playoff run.

I'd call last year's game a semi-evenly distributed game, but if I had to pin my Mom's soul on it, I'd say those two teams collectively were better defensive teams than they were offensively.

Further, the whole subject of stats-according-to-yards is a little off the point. Giving up yardage, by itself, doesn't say anything about a defense. The Bears, even, in many recent years, had a lower-ranked defense than they actually "were" because they gave up a lot of yards sometimes but got a lot of turnovers. Turnovers aren't captured in ranks. Also, as I mentioned, playing Prevent yields yards (see Green Bay, 2010, who actually had a very strong defense the last half of the season). So I think a lot of the classic characterization of the last several Super Bowls is flat out wrong. Another place to look? The 2007 and 2011 Super Bowl winning Giants. Those teams had dominant defenses and marginal offenses.

Look, there's more than one way to win in the NFL and in the playoffs. I'm not trying to suggest having a bad offense is somehow unimportant. Sure...it is. But it is still just as important to stop and opposing offense as it is to have one. To believe otherwise is lying to yourself, in my opinion.

Let me ask you a question...if this Bears team had even an average defense, would it be a much better team or not? Beating up on a shitty, injury-depleted Dallas defense should not go to our heads too fast or too far. We still need defense to win most games, especially against the better teams.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry,but this day and age,its the offense that will win the SB.

lets try this a different way:

2012 Ravens-Defense ranked 17th,won..........16th offense
2011 Giants - 27th,won.........No.8 offense.
2010 Pack-5th,won......No.9 offense
2009 saints-25th,won......No.1 offense

what did the three of the four winners all have....offense.And its gonna be trending.

A few of those defenses gave up yardage, true. However, they all stepped up big time in the playoffs, and kept points off the board. The Saints defense also led the league in turnovers. Also, that Giants team was horribly mediocre ALL SEASON, and then got hot at the right time. Their defense is what beat Brady and the Pats. Holding them to 14 points in that SB. The Saints opportunistic D is what beat Peyton and held him to 17 points.

You still have to be able to run the ball and play defense in this league win championships. Not as much as you used to have to, but it's still a requirement.

When was the last defensive battle in a SB? 08?

Uh... just the SB before last. Pats/Giants. Giants won that game because of their defense and pass rush. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nod:
A few of those defenses gave up yardage, true. However, they all stepped up big time in the playoffs, and kept points off the board. The Saints defense also led the league in turnovers. Also, that Giants team was horribly mediocre ALL SEASON, and then got hot at the right time. Their defense is what beat Brady and the Pats. Holding them to 14 points in that SB. The Saints opportunistic D is what beat Peyton and held him to 17 points.

You still have to be able to run the ball and play defense in this league win championships. Not as much as you used to have to, but it's still a requirement.

When was the last defensive battle in a SB? 08?

Uh... just the SB before last. Pats/Giants. Giants won that game because of their defense and pass rush. Period.