• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wireless grill thermometer

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite is the igrill mini, have a few of them. However, they have the same weakness all wireless thermometers have...zero tolerance for water.

I ruined a probe, guess it got too close to the water when washing them. Anyone had any luck repairing them? Right now it reads room temp as 187 degrees, so its about 110 off. I took a heat gun to it, got it to 270 and got a lot of smokey smells out of it, but didn't get the water.

I've heard you can boil them in oil for 30 minutes to cook out the water, will try this weekend. Figure there are people that hate dropping $20 for a probe that will last less than a year, so has to be someone that has fixed one. I did find out that one of the old probes from a cheap-o thermometer I had lying around does work. Ordered one that looked about right off amazon for $7, but it is 33 degrees off. So I can use it as my ambient temp probe just fine, but won't trust a brisket to it.

One thing is for sure, all my probes are getting a dollop of high temp silicone where the braid meets the probe before they get used again. :gaah:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't got a wireless one, will keep the water thing in mind when I do though. :yo: