• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson fine & NHL.com

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL I think the NHL is REALLY opening pandoras box with this. When NHL.com originally released the article on the Torres suspension, all the comments on the article were all positive in favor of Torres & the Sharks, and that the NHL really crossed the line.. Even Torres haters said it was wrong of the NHL. It even had a few physics majors & physisists debunking Shannahans weak attempt at explaing the physics of the hit, making Shan look like an even bigger idiot...

Well now the NHL fines Wilson the mandatory $25K plus an additional $75K for his comments - which IMO were very professional. He was just pointing how Shannahan basically changed the way the rules were written and violated the CBA... Well heres whats funny... NHL.com disabled comments on this article... The only article theyve posted that ive ever seen where people arent allowed to comment. That just struck me as very odd... They probably didnt like that they looked like complete asses with the suspension, and now they made themselves look eve worth with the additional $75K in fines...

Do you guys think this situation will keep escallading or will it just disappear?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From a Sharks organization stand point I think they consider the matter closed. They've said their peace but I wouldn't be surprised to see more organizations making simular comments in the future which would push the issue.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The NHL and Shannawah owe the sharks at this point, this is probably one of the biggest injustices i have seen in professional sports in quite a long time

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck! I thought you guys were bullshitting about that...

I may just say fuck the NHL. I dealt with this horseshit being a Raiders fan for years and I am not doing this again. Doug was very classy and respectful in his comments which, to me, said "we understand, we will follow the rules, but we disagree with the assessment and choose to let the matter drop at this point and move on with the series."

Fining our team for a respectful disagreement is FUCKING bullshit. The Torres thing pissed me off - but this makes me less of a fan.

Fuck it - Buttman or whanahan visit this coast they are getting egged... and I will try to piss all over their fucking car.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have to think Wilson made his statements knowing full well he'd receive a fine for it. No matter how respectfully or how well thought out his statement was the bottom line is he called out a league official for doing his job poorly. Doesn't matter what sport that's going to result in a fine.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he could have waited until 48 hours were up to save $25k (and only get fined the $75k for inappropriate comments -- although that might have gone up to $100k to "round up").

Anyway, no big deal.

Respect to Dougie for saying what he did.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we win the cup this year every shark fan should pitch in 5 $ to help pay for Wilson.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning tonight has eased the fire on this a bit, but I still feel this is bullshit. There needs to be a distinction between politely disagreeing and causing a media frenzy or demeaning the league.

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some one should setup a box in front of the tank on Tuesday, and fans can chip in to pay the fine. This would tell NHL fucked up big time, second is to show our fans support. We can donate $$ collect from this box to charity at end of the game. I bet you that they will ban us from doing it.

I bet you this will be on TV, news, everywhere....

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much of this is earning brownie points towards a Torres contract extension. Perhaps going through this process (flying to league office, formulating a formal public announcement) and paying a measly $100K will earn Torres' appreciation and get him to sign with SJ for another 2-3 years at a solid price. Perhaps it's all part of the recruiting process on top of getting a reduced suspension so that Torres can come back to help the team on the ice.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You have to think Wilson made his statements knowing full well he'd receive a fine for it. No matter how respectfully or how well thought out his statement was the bottom line is he called out a league official for doing his job poorly. Doesn't matter what sport that's going to result in a fine.

Yeah, I think this was a calculated move by Wilson too, and good for him. He said pretty much the exact same thing I did. Most everyone saw it that way.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kind of funny that Ovi can accuse the league of fixing game 6 of the NYR/Was series and nothing comes of it but Wilson states his view of the suspension and gets a $100k fine.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some one should setup a box in front of the tank on Tuesday, and fans can chip in to pay the fine. This would tell NHL fucked up big time, second is to show our fans support. We can donate $$ collect from this box to charity at end of the game. I bet you that they will ban us from doing it.

I bet you this will be on TV, news, everywhere....

That's a very, very good idea. I'd like to see the league fine the fans

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think: I wonder if in a way Doug is trying to make Shanahan remember how it was when he played in the NHL. Both these guys understand the game of hockey, hell they both played and had great NHL careers. In the playoffs and cup winning teams always seem to do whatever it takes to get the W.

Just a thought.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kind of funny that Ovi can accuse the league of fixing game 6 of the NYR/Was series and nothing comes of it but Wilson states his view of the suspension and gets a $100k fine.

Did Ovechkin really say that???!!! Wow, that is a hell of a lot worse than complaining about a BS ruling.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Ovechkin really say that???!!! Wow, that is a hell of a lot worse than complaining about a BS ruling.

You would think but with the huge mandate towards player's safety and the legal issues / lawsuits starting to happen the NHL is going to nazi-up on anything in that topic matter, and defend its point with tenacity and zeal.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont know where I heard it, but I thought it was a good point -- If players werent so armored up these days with giant linebacker, kevlar reinforced, bullet proof shoulder pads, along with fully plastic bionic elbow pads that go from your wrist to your shoulder, there would be a lot less injuries like in past decades of 80's & 90's...
You dawn the modern equiptment, its like wearing a bearsuit -- Your indestructable so your gonna hit harder without fear of hurting yourself, and your not only hitting with more force to make contact, your adding that extra big equiptment into the contact too.

No one else finds it ironic that there were less injuries with the old cooper cloth shoulder pads that had just the plastic section around the shoulders? out the old elbow pads, that just had the small shell on the elbow??

My dad also mentioned with football bout the leaing with your head to hit guys issue, saying pretty much the same thing. You give these guys these supposed indestructable, "concussion resistant" super padded helmets and wonder why guys have no fear of runnig full force & then bashing there head into someone like a ram... Where as most guys werent stupid enough to do that a few decades ago...

Personally I think its a good point, but no league would ever reduce the size of this "modern, more safe equiptment"
Its kinda like hitting someone with brass knuckles... Yea if you blindside punch them, your probably gonna hurt em, but if you blindside punch whem with a pair of knockles, your most likely gonna fawk them up pretty bad and shatter something in there face..

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know where I heard it, but I thought it was a good point -- If players werent so armored up these days with giant linebacker, kevlar reinforced, bullet proof shoulder pads, along with fully plastic bionic elbow pads that go from your wrist to your shoulder, there would be a lot less injuries like in past decades of 80's & 90's...
You dawn the modern equiptment, its like wearing a bearsuit -- Your indestructable so your gonna hit harder without fear of hurting yourself, and your not only hitting with more force to make contact, your adding that extra big equiptment into the contact too.

No one else finds it ironic that there were less injuries with the old cooper cloth shoulder pads that had just the plastic section around the shoulders? out the old elbow pads, that just had the small shell on the elbow??

My dad also mentioned with football bout the leaing with your head to hit guys issue, saying pretty much the same thing. You give these guys these supposed indestructable, "concussion resistant" super padded helmets and wonder why guys have no fear of runnig full force & then bashing there head into someone like a ram... Where as most guys werent stupid enough to do that a few decades ago...

Personally I think its a good point, but no league would ever reduce the size of this "modern, more safe equiptment"
Its kinda like hitting someone with brass knuckles... Yea if you blindside punch them, your probably gonna hurt em, but if you blindside punch whem with a pair of knockles, your most likely gonna fawk them up pretty bad and shatter something in there face..

I mentioned it here but I have to give credit to Don Cherry. I think it was on Hockey Night in Canada about 6-7 years ago, maybe less - probably around the time Lindros was having his issues. Don broke out the different pads and basically showed the actual physical difference and made his case.

Aside from the mental "indestructible" argument, the fact is that you are hitting someone with a hard rigid surface as opposed to a foam/padded surface. The results are a more dramatic transference of energy which I suppose could be argued as nearly elastic as opposed to the padding taking more of that energy.