• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson and the Hawks

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very respectful decision for Carroll and Co. It is not often that an NFL franchise will put money on the bench in favor of putting talent on the field.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe they can trade flynn to the cards

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wilson is a stud and there is a reason why he set the NCAA record in passer rating, he can ball out. He can run and he has a rocket for an arm. He will be a damn good QB[/QUOTE]

I agree, If he can continue to develop with his receivers and is able to stay healthy he will be dangerous! :rofl: Go 49ers!!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very respectful decision for Carroll and Co. It is not often that an NFL franchise will put money on the bench in favor of putting talent on the field.

Billick does a nice job of explaining what I meant with my post above. This is a dilemma many teams face (too many, imo) and I believe we faced it with Crabtree & Morgan in 2010 and might have faced it again in 2011 if Morgan had remained healthy.

The assumption going into the Seattle Seahawks' quarterback battle was that Matt Flynn's contract would be one prohibition on the team from naming Russell Wilson the starter.

Head coach Pete Carroll scoffed at that notion when he announced Wilson will open the season under center.

Former Super Bowl champion head coach Brian Billick told "NFL AM" Wednesday morning the decision, in general, isn't hard to make from a talent evaluation perspective, but can be tough to explain to the man writing the checks.

"It's not hard as a coach if you make the evaluation that this guy gives you the best chance to win," Billick said. "It makes it hard to go to your GM or for you and the GM go to the owner and say, 'Well we gave a 2nd round pick for Charlie Whitehurst, he didn’t quite work out, we gave $10 million to this guy Flynn but we actually think this rookie quarterback is our best chance to win.' At some point ownership is going to look at that and say, 'Well I hope you are right because right I'm not sure you know what you are doing with regards to quarterbacking.'"

Carroll isn't under any heat in Seattle now, and if Wilson plays the way he's displayed he's capable of Paul Allen won't be asking that question anytime soon.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

He boxed himself into the decision and really had no choice but to go with Wilson unless he wanted to flush his credibility with the team down the toilet.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Carroll did the right thing to give his team the best chance to win.

If he made a mistake it might cost him his job eventually but he was willing to take that risk.

Ultimately it comes down to wins and losses. Carroll has to play the guy who will get him the most wins. Wins means Carroll keeps his job. Losses means he loses his job.

It all boils down to wins and losses in the NFL. Win = keep your job, lose = lose your job.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll did the right thing to give his team the best chance to win.

If he made a mistake it might cost him his job eventually but he was willing to take that risk.

Ultimately it comes down to wins and losses. Carroll has to play the guy who will get him the most wins. Wins means Carroll keeps his job. Losses means he loses his job.

It all boils down to wins and losses in the NFL. Win = keep your job, lose = lose your job.

Your last three paragraphs said the same thing. Pot Meet Kettle.jpg Just kidding, your post was right on.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Haven't actually watched the game but it seems like it was a pretty ho hum start for Wilson especially for a guy touted as just putting points on the board and being efficient.

To be fair Arizona has a good underrated defense but if you're the Seahawks you've got to win that game.