• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Lakers amnesty Pau Gasol?

RedRum

You Cant Handle the Truth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again... 1st it was Kobe rumored , then MWP ...now Pau

With several veterans on their roster earning a hefty salary, the Lakers may decide to use the amnesty clause. According to the LA Times, Pau Gasol could be the player they use it on if LA is able to re-sign Dwight Howard this summer.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well IF we resign Howard they are going to have to amnesty someone unless they want to pay more in tax than most teams payrolls are..... and its either going to be Gasol or Kobe. Take a random guess as to which guy would create less outrage if they have to pick one??? LOL.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again... 1st it was Kobe rumored , then MWP ...now Pau

I said it would be Gasol before the start of the season UNLESS the Lakers were playing for a title.
The Kobe injury possibly changes what the decision will be, but it will be used on one of them.

Smart decision woul be for the team and Kobe to agree to use it on him so he could take a full year off like Rose and then go from there once he seems how he feels.

The money saved could then be the money used to pay him for the next 3 years.

RedRum

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, KObe has always said that Pau would be a Laker as long as he was a Lakers..... PAU of course is not the reason those butts are at Staples.

RedRum

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart decision woul be for the team and Kobe to agree to use it on him so he could take a full year off like Rose and then go from there once he seems how he feels.

The money saved could then be the money used to pay him for the next 3 years.

I did hear rumors of him not taking a year off but playing in Italy while the Lakers use the money to get a couple of new young players. he comes back to the Lakers the next year and plays with DH12 ,and a couple of new young guys ( Bledsoe CLippers and Jsmith hawks).

If he agrees of course to leave for 1 year and coming back.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they aren't going to amnesty him. He's got too much value both as a player and a commodity to just cut. Plus, I don't buy into the Lakers not willing to pay the tax stuff. Their management is routinely one of the best in all of sports. It's foolish to think Kupcheck and Crew acquired all these players without having a plan. They knew the CBA details before Howard and Nash were brought in and what they're salary implications would be. People act like they've boxed themselves into a corner recklessly with no options but to gut the roster. LA has ridiculously deep pockets. I'm willing to bet they'll pay the tax for a year considering both Kobe's and Gasol's deals come off the books next summer (Howard if they resign him and like two other players are the only people on the books too). I don't think they'll willingly pay the tax every year because of its roster restrictions (takes away mid level exceptions, etc for repeat violators) but they'll pay from time to time

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did hear rumors of him not taking a year off but playing in Italy while the Lakers use the money to get a couple of new young players. he comes back to the Lakers the next year and plays with DH12 ,and a couple of new young guys ( Bledsoe CLippers and Jsmith hawks).

If he agrees of course to leave for 1 year and coming back.

I could see how people would think that is a good idea.
What I don't see is that how anyone can try to speculate that Kobe will actually be ready to go in the 6-9 month wndow that was given.
That was a nasty injury and at his age, healing is normally slower then quicker.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it makes much difference if they amnesty Kobe or Pau. All they would get is some luxury tax relief. It's not like they can go out and sign a couple of top free agents.

What makes the most sense, in my opinion, is to keep the current roster intact with only a couple of minor changes. Hope they can stay healthy enough to make a run next year and then rebuild after next season when they have huge contracts (specifically Kobe and Pau) coming off the books. Kobe and Pau alone lower the payroll by $50 million.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers recently sign a billion dollar cable package (I believe the total value was 3 bil-that's with a "B"). Oh yea, they got deep pockets and they can handle any luxury tax. The likely scenario is Kobe leaving to "rehab" his achilles as has already been outlined in another post.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they aren't going to amnesty him. He's got too much value both as a player and a commodity to just cut. Plus, I don't buy into the Lakers not willing to pay the tax stuff. Their management is routinely one of the best in all of sports. It's foolish to think Kupcheck and Crew acquired all these players without having a plan. They knew the CBA details before Howard and Nash were brought in and what they're salary implications would be. People act like they've boxed themselves into a corner recklessly with no options but to gut the roster. LA has ridiculously deep pockets. I'm willing to bet they'll pay the tax for a year considering both Kobe's and Gasol's deals come off the books next summer (Howard if they resign him and like two other players are the only people on the books too). I don't think they'll willingly pay the tax every year because of its roster restrictions (takes away mid level exceptions, etc for repeat violators) but they'll pay from time to time

Man, there's some real nuggets in there. I like your style, WT; sound logical reasoning. Not sure who you're referring to as "him" . . . is it Pau, Kobe, or both?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'd be pissed if the Lakers amnesty Pau Gasol because I totally believe in the guy still and appreciate what he brings to the team, namely his unique ability to see and pass over the defense.

But on a financial level, as WT posted earlier, the Lakers have knowingly had their eyes set on 2014 for a while now, and like Retro said, the Lakers can afford it, so I don't see any reason in using the amnesty provision on Pau Gasol's expiring contract just to save one year of his salary, especially after the championships and loyalty Pau has shown this franchise.

heatallucan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amnesty kobe dummy. think of all the shooting guards and pont guards u can buy with all that moolah.

oh wait, bonehead is going to ban me LOL it figures. cant stand the heat when i destroy the fakers and their fans

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe won't get amnestied and agree with TF12 rationale

heatallucan: are you related to crapmyshorts/turnuptheheat? They run in packs with how they post, LOL

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe won't get amnestied. He'll be playing at some point next season and is still a money maker for the owners. The Lakers won't amnesty Pau either. He still has value, whether for the Lakers or in a trade. Dumping either of these salaries doesn't help their ability to sign free agents anyway. The Lakers will still be above the cap assuming Dwight gets signed. I think if anyone gets the ax, it is Metta.

heatallucan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe won't get amnestied and agree with TF12 rationale

heatallucan: are you related to crapmyshorts/turnuptheheat? They run in packs with how they post, LOL

hmm, strange that u get all confused. i am heatmyshorts. not the fake one. but u seem happier here, BUM. not neurotic like at CBS.

u faker fans have found a nice haven where u can talk about ur sad little team. i know the fakers wont amnesty kobessa because of "legacy". well, more entertaining if the keep mambita. it will be another year of laughter and embarrassment

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, there's some real nuggets in there. I like your style, WT; sound logical reasoning. Not sure who you're referring to as "him" . . . is it Pau, Kobe, or both?

Him = Pau. I'm referring to him since that's what the OP was about.