• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will be benched?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley will return to the Phillies on Thursday or Friday of this week. I heard that Amaro wants him to play everyday. Galvis will probably lose the most playing time since Hernandez can also play shortstop. I wonder if the Phillies are trying to showcase Utley so they can place him on waivers and find a trade partner for him.
I wonder if they are just trying to give him respect for being a great competitor for the Philies. I would like to see Utley contribute, but if he continues to struggle then taking playing time away from Hernandez and/or Galvis will not make sense.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame
I've always liked Utley and Howard and Ruiz - I know that might not be a popular opinion on this board but they did great things for the Phillies

But there comes a time to move on and the Phillies are long past that time now with those 3 and any other stragglers

Time to see what the young guys can do even if it means potentially upsetting guys like Utley and Howard

I watch Phillies games and box scores like I'm playing fantasy baseball (which I don't play) - I just bypass whatever anything the old guys are doing and just look at the young guns and I like what I see - there is a glimmer of hope there

Hopefully next year I won't have to cherry pick the roster and will be able to look at a game and box score with the whole lineup in mind and actually watch and enjoy a Phillies baseball game with an up and coming hungry young lineup

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley should simply become our go-to LH pinch hitter. It's pointless to play him regularly for exposure just so we can get two obscure Columbian outfielders.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame
I've always liked Utley and Howard and Ruiz - I know that might not be a popular opinion on this board but they did great things for the Phillies

But there comes a time to move on and the Phillies are long past that time now with those 3 and any other stragglers

Time to see what the young guys can do even if it means potentially upsetting guys like Utley and Howard

I watch Phillies games and box scores like I'm playing fantasy baseball (which I don't play) - I just bypass whatever anything the old guys are doing and just look at the young guns and I like what I see - there is a glimmer of hope there

Hopefully next year I won't have to cherry pick the roster and will be able to look at a game and box score with the whole lineup in mind and actually watch and enjoy a Phillies baseball game with an up and coming hungry young lineup

I'm right with you. I do exactly the same thing...check Franco first, then cesar, odubel, etc. lol! I'm sure everyone on here liked (or actually loved) Utley, Howard, and Ruiz...but most have moved on.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley should simply become our go-to LH pinch hitter. It's pointless to play him regularly for exposure just so we can get two obscure Columbian outfielders.

Utley needs to move on NOT so we can "get two obscure Columbian outfielders", but rather he should have the opportunity to play again in the playoffs or even another World Series.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he'll have that opportunity if a contender likes what they see. Maybe we'll get an obscure Panamanian.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone want to replace Hernandez who has batting average of .283, an OPS of .721, and a WAR of 1.1 with aging guy like Utley who has a BA of .179, an OPS of .532, and a negative WAR of 1.3? Is there any shread of logic that would justify this nonsense?

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sigh.

several teams are interested in utley. if he can show his ankle is fine/make it through waivers, the phils can possibly receive something of value in return. no one is going to give up anything if he's sitting on the bench.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sigh.

several teams are interested in utley. if he can show his ankle is fine/make it through waivers, the phils can possibly receive something of value in return. no one is going to give up anything if he's sitting on the bench.

No team is going to pick up Utley if he comes off the DL and continues to produce like he did before he went on it.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone want to replace Hernandez who has batting average of .283, an OPS of .721, and a WAR of 1.1 with aging guy like Utley who has a BA of .179, an OPS of .532, and a negative WAR of 1.3? Is there any shread of logic that would justify this nonsense?
Here is the way it is set up to work. Galvis will miss a day, Hernandez will miss a day, Franco will miss a day, and
Herrera will miss a day. So it is just one game missed every 4 days for those players.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, play him two or three days a week while other guys have the day off and see what he can do. Seriously, if he can't do better than .200, why not release him and get it over with.