• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who cares about the B1G ...

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, that makes total sense. It will be one of many things they consider.

Don't agree on the NFL ... totally different with paid and represented players.
It's one of those things. Larger conferences don't want to be the first or the last to cancel. Once the MAC did it, the BIG10 felt they could/should follow suit. I will be very surprised if we don't see several other conferences follow suit in the next few days.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of those things. Larger conferences don't want to be the first or the last to cancel. Once the MAC did it, the BIG10 felt they could/should follow suit. I will be very surprised if we don't see several other conferences follow suit in the next few days.
I do not get this. The B1G is not following the MAC, and the SEC and others aren't going to follow the B1G. Folks, these are multi-billion dollar entities. They will decide what is right for them, when it is right. A couple examples:
- The MAC didn't cancel because of COVID concerns. They cancelled because they lost all their money when OOC games got canceled in the P5 and they couldn't afford to have a season. The P5 aren't following G5 conferences, because their interests are far different.
- The SEC decided to not start until late in September, while the B1G decided to start on Labor Day. Both provided a little more flexibility, but in different ways. The B1G, if they have a season, would have more flexibility to reschedule during the season (see MLB), but have to make a decision whether to start at all now. The SEC has the flexibility on whether they play or not for 3 more weeks, but if they play they have less flexibility with in season rescheduling.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn right ...

EverettSECbanner.jpg

Someone get that pale girl a tan

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC cancels like EVERYONE else

yea but the "didnt do it first" or some bullshit. Lol

Theyll probably hold out until everyone else cancels and then try to award themselves some collective national title for it

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea but the "didnt do it first" or some bullshit. Lol

Theyll probably hold out until everyone else cancels and then try to award themselves some collective national title for it
Why are you guys in a hurry to cancel? Your players want to play, why don't you?

For all the crap you give SEC fans for being conference fans, seems a strange hill to die on - "Woo hoo, we were the first conference to cancel CFB, and everyone followed us!!! We are the best!!!"

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not get this. The B1G is not following the MAC, and the SEC and others aren't going to follow the B1G. Folks, these are multi-billion dollar entities. They will decide what is right for them, when it is right. A couple examples:
- The MAC didn't cancel because of COVID concerns. They cancelled because they lost all their money when OOC games got canceled in the P5 and they couldn't afford to have a season. The P5 aren't following G5 conferences, because their interests are far different.
- The SEC decided to not start until late in September, while the B1G decided to start on Labor Day. Both provided a little more flexibility, but in different ways. The B1G, if they have a season, would have more flexibility to reschedule during the season (see MLB), but have to make a decision whether to start at all now. The SEC has the flexibility on whether they play or not for 3 more weeks, but if they play they have less flexibility with in season rescheduling.

Youre kidding yourself if you think the SEC isnt going to shut it down too.

Once the lawyers get involved its over. I'm sure they are already in the ears of the universities. Don't think for a minute if a player gets COVID and it ends up ending with something serious that its not going to end up in court. The potential liability is going to be a huge factor for the university presidents. Any potential future lawsuit would have to argue over wether a player caught COVID from a university related activity, or from eating at his local McDonalds.....etc. Which gives lawyers a ton of money sucking hours to argue about, and a giant PR disaster for the university.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you guys in a hurry to cancel? Your players want to play, why don't you?

For all the crap you give SEC fans for being conference fans, seems a strange hill to die on - "Woo hoo, we were the first conference to cancel CFB, and everyone followed us!!! We are the best!!!"

See the post above. Also most university presidents hate football. So its not really shocking, since they are making the decision, that it is coming fast.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once the lawyers get involved its over. I'm sure they are already in the ears of the universities. Don't think for a minute if a player gets COVID and it ends up ending with something serious that its not going to end up in court. The potential liability is going to be a huge factor for the university presidents. Any potential future lawsuit would have to argue over wether a player caught COVID from a university related activity, or from eating at his local McDonalds.....etc. Which gives lawyers a ton of money sucking hours to argue about, and a giant PR disaster for the university.
I have never said the SEC won't shut down CFB. I have said there is no reason to be in a hurry to do so.

As for the lawsuits, I'd argue it isn't the liability or attorneys hours - all that's covered by insurance - it's the bad PR. As you point out without knowing it, it would be almost impossible to determine where a players got C19, so liability is less than certain. And its covered by insurance. PR isn't.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never said the SEC won't shut down CFB. I have said there is no reason to be in a hurry to do so.

As for the lawsuits, I'd argue it isn't the liability or attorneys hours - all that's covered by insurance - it's the bad PR. As you point out without knowing it, it would be almost impossible to determine where a players got C19, so liability is less than certain. And its covered by insurance. PR isn't.

The quicker they shut things down the less likely they end up with potential lawsuits on their hands and the subsequent PR mess. Its really not that hard to understand.......

Its pretty clear when they decided to play a shortened season they were expecting things to calm down a lot by the end of summer. They did this with no backup plan either so now they are scrambling to figure out what to do. This applies to every conference.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quicker they shut things down the less likely they end up with potential lawsuits on their hands and the subsequent PR mess. Its really not that hard to understand.......

Its pretty clear when they decided to play a shortened season they were expecting things to calm down a lot by the end of summer. They did this with no backup plan either so now they are scrambling to figure out what to do. This applies to every conference.
So far all the schools have already gotten through the initial positive tests, and they are doing fine now. If they were fearful of lawsuits, they wouldn't have started back at all.

It doesn't apply to conferences that decided to push the start until after the start of school. They wanted more time to see how things shook out once school started. They still have 3 weeks to make their decision.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quicker they shut things down the less likely they end up with potential lawsuits on their hands and the subsequent PR mess. Its really not that hard to understand.....
What lawsuits they knew what they were getting into this year

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far all the schools have already gotten through the initial positive tests, and they are doing fine now. If they were fearful of lawsuits, they wouldn't have started back at all.

It doesn't apply to conferences that decided to push the start until after the start of school. They wanted more time to see how things shook out once school started. They still have 3 weeks to make their decision.

If one makes the decision they are all going to do it. Thats just the fact of the matter.

Like I said, im sure they "approved" a shortened season because they were expecting the COVID mess to quiet down. With no sigh of that in the near future now they are stuck in this situation.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one makes the decision they are all going to do it. Thats just the fact of the matter.

Like I said, im sure they "approved" a shortened season because they were expecting the COVID mess to quiet down. With no sigh of that in the near future now they are stuck in this situation.
Disagree ... the SEC, as an example, isn't going to do something just because others do. It will be part of the equation, but you are overplaying the power of any one conference. So, no, that's not a fact, that's your opinion.

You keep saying your second sentence and ignoring the fact that some conferences started early, others pushed to the end of September and have more time to wait. The SEC stated today they aren't in a hurry. They have time to wait and see what happens.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree ... the SEC, as an example, isn't going to do something just because others do. It will be part of the equation, but you are overplaying the power of any one conference. So, no, that's not a fact, that's your opinion.

You keep saying your second sentence and ignoring the fact that some conferences started early, others pushed to the end of September and have more time to wait. The SEC stated today they aren't in a hurry. They have time to wait and see what happens.

Yes they are.....lol. You can think that all you want but we've already seen how this works with how it went down with college basketball. All it took was 1 pulling the plug and the rest were right behind.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are.....lol. You can think that all you want but we've already seen how this works with how it went down with college basketball. All it took was 1 pulling the plug and the rest were right behind.

But that happened in March when some in the media were projecting that millions would die, and there was VERY little stats or research done on COVID.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, your opinion. Basketball is the March Madness, we were at the beginning of the pandemic and no one knew shit. CFB can make a ton of money with the regular season, even without the CFP. That said, I don't disagree with you that once a few P5 conferences start folding it will make it more difficult to play. I can't see the SEC playing if they are the only conference. I can certainly see the SEC/ACC/B12 all playing even if the B1G/PAC pussy out.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that happened in March when some in the media were projecting that millions would die, and there was VERY little stats or research done on COVID.

Its a looming PR disaster for a conference to decide to play when others cancel. 1 bad COVID situation and the media is going to shit all over said conference for "not caring about safety and deciding to play". Not even the SEC is going to take that chance, not matter how much some may want to believe they would.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a looming PR disaster for a conference to decide to play when others cancel. 1 bad COVID situation and the media is going to shit all over said conference for "not caring about safety and deciding to play". Not even the SEC is going to take that chance, not matter how much some may want to believe they would.
You seem heavily invested in ending the season. I find that odd.

I think the SEC can handle the PR of waiting another 3 weeks to see what is happening. Let's say that kids come back from school, they party like college kids are going to do, and the cases go crazy on campus, and the C19 positives go up on the team. I can then see the SEC saying, yep, we tried, but the cases are going up and we won't risk it. But, let's say that the cases don't go up because so many college kids already have had it? And the positives on the teams stays low. Why not try it.

What's funny is that you think the B1G (or any conference) is going to decide it for the others. The B1G has already backed off cancellation once in the last 24 hours. They already seem to be backtracking when they didn't get everyone falling in line. Tonight will be interesting.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem heavily invested in ending the season. I find that odd.

I think the SEC can handle the PR of waiting another 3 weeks to see what is happening. Let's say that kids come back from school, they party like college kids are going to do, and the cases go crazy on campus, and the C19 positives go up on the team. I can then see the SEC saying, yep, we tried, but the cases are going up and we won't risk it. But, let's say that the cases don't go up because so many college kids already have had it? And the positives on the teams stays low. Why not try it.

What's funny is that you think the B1G (or any conference) is going to decide it for the others. The B1G has already backed off cancellation once in the last 24 hours. They already seem to be backtracking when they didn't get everyone falling in line. Tonight will be interesting.

Why do you think I want to end the season?

Im thinking on the logic of the university presidents. Its really not about football to them. Its about avoiding a shit storm. I dont think you get that.......

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The lawyers have already been involved since Day One when the player demands became public. Other lawyers were then involved in studying and trying to analyze what the ramification of the demands are for the schools. And now the lawyers are tits deep again with the conferences trying to devine what the optimum strategy is going forward with or without a football season that's going to be the difference-maker in a lot of schools even having much of an athletic department still left a year from now. Lawyers: bleached souls in tan suits. The equivalent of COVID-19 in the business world.