• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When does attendance come back?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we've been in this situation before and seen the team fall apart. So obviously this thread is taking the mindset that we may keep playing decnet ball. When will the stands fill up?

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're already starting to see the beginning of it. Could be the good weather, but I was at the games Sat and Sun and there was a great crowd, one of the biggest I've seen this year. I think if the team is still in contention late August the seats will start filling up.

or, if they make a big trade at the deadline.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're already starting to see the beginning of it. Could be the good weather, but I was at the games Sat and Sun and there was a great crowd, one of the biggest I've seen this year. I think if the team is still in contention late August the seats will start filling up.

or, if they make a big trade at the deadline.

We've always drawn well on July Weekend games. The real test will be Tuesday wednesday night games.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking about getting back to the early 2000's level I dont think that would happen until September/Playoffs if this team is still in it at that point. I think to much has happened for the last decade for the switch to be flipped based on a few decent months. I really do think it will take another month of good ball to get people fully believing.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe do what the Seahawks did, make a decent run into the playoffs.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking about getting back to the early 2000's level I dont think that would happen until September/Playoffs if this team is still in it at that point. I think to much has happened for the last decade for the switch to be flipped based on a few decent months. I really do think it will take another month of good ball to get people fully believing.

I think it will take a good 2 years of success to get Safeco to where it was in 2001. Attendance may go up but the feel in the ballpark needs to get back to the atmosphere it had.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have stated, it won't happen until the fans are convinced that this isn't a fluke. I think they have to make the playoffs and prove that they can win when they get there for it to start happening and even then, there might still be some skeptics next year who won't show up until the M's make the playoffs and win games in the playoffs two years in a row. If they nab the second wildcard spot, but lose to the Angels in the play-in game (assuming things stay as they are through the end of the season), that might bring some people back, but you can't underestimate how disgusted some people have become in the 13 years since the M's last made the playoffs. It's gonna take a lot more than a cameo in the playoffs to bring those people back.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now they are on pace for about 1.93 million, which would be the highest total attendance since 2010. If they can carry success into next year, I think you will see a major attendance surge.

This town has proven that it will back a winner. In the Mariners golden era from 1995-2003, the team drew 24.7 million fans from 1996-2003. That's an average off 3.1 million year. In the past six seasons (2008-2013) they have only drawn 12 million fans which is an average of 2 million a year.

The fans will come back, but, after 11 seasons of futility you can't blame them if they are a little hesitant right now.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they celebrated the 116 win season a reporter asked Boone that question, his answer was honest and true, " if you win they will come."

A's series had 99,000 I believe they said on Root, if they stay in it I think it will increase, fans are foolish with this management group anymore.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they celebrated the 116 win season a reporter asked Boone that question, his answer was honest and true, " if you win they will come."

A's series had 99,000 I believe they said on Root, if they stay in it I think it will increase, fans are foolish with this management group anymore.

I'm not so sure about that. Griffey night was a sellout and there was a huge chorus of boos when Jr brought up Chuck and the Mariners trying to bring them a winner.

IMO, the leadership of the franchise has taken the team to where they were pre Lou Pinella. If not for Safeco being such a great ball park I think their numbers would resemble Kingdome days. IMO the talk of the town is "let's go drink some beer and watch a Mariners game" instead of "lets go watch a Mariners game and drink some beer".

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Friday was King's Court night which always draws well, Saturday was a bobble head night which also always draws well. Also the weather was perfect baseball weather. I do think the opponent and the teams play helped but I think the other factors still probably still played a bigger role.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans will start showing up more consistently once they stop having series like the ones against the Twins and White Sox

Can't really speak for everyone else, but I'm hesitant to go to more Mariner games simply because I don't know what kind of baseball I'm going to get

Am I going to get the good Mariners with excellent pitching and a timely hitting offense or a Mariners team that gets shut out for 3-4 consecutive games?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure about that. Griffey night was a sellout and there was a huge chorus of boos when Jr brought up Chuck and the Mariners trying to bring them a winner..

I know, I was there, and yes I boo'd , after of course the shock wore off from his comment...

My post should've read, fans can't trust this management...

I think if they stay in it, the numbers will increase, hell we didn't know 95 was gonna turn out like it did this time that year, as they continued to win, it was harder and harder to walk and buy a ticket 10 minutes from the start...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

aren't

There fixed it...

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I was there, and yes I boo'd , after of course the shock wore off from his comment...

My post should've read, fans can't trust this management...

I think if they stay in it, the numbers will increase, hell we didn't know 95 was gonna turn out like it did this time that year, as they continued to win, it was harder and harder to walk and buy a ticket 10 minutes from the start...

Very true about 1995. For the season, they averaged 22,509 a game. In 1996 it jumped to 33,627 a game.