• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When Brodeur Retires

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Is it safe to assume he'll retire when his current contract is up? Or is it possible he'll take a short term deal and play on?

2. Do we replace him with whoever we have in the system or do we go outside the organization?

3. How long after Marty leaves does Lou step down?

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. thanks man hahaha

2. onto your questions.....

i'm going to assume he'll retire one year after his contract goes... only because i do see him as being a guy who will have a little trouble letting go of the game... hell the guy and barely give up his own net for more than 6 games a year.

as far as his replacement goes, being a goalie coach i loved the clips i saw of clermont both at rookie camp and of his season, really fast, crisp movement makes himself big, and a sweet glove. its a tough call... i'd actually love to see lundquist in a devils uni but thats probably unrealistic. hell who knows how he'd even be playing in 2-3 years.

as far as lou goes i think he's in his twilight. i give him maybe another 5-6 years total.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah figured I'd change it up a bit from the same 5 topics we've talked to death this summer. Once the season starts there will be plenty of talking points. When your baseball team is the Mets, usually by mid July I'm ready for the fall sports season to begin.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amen to that. just training camp will help give some discussion points.

but it could be worse man.... i'm an a's fan.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally, I think that he'll play until he can't be productive any longer. I totally agree with the idea that he can't even give up his own cage. He wants to play and win every game. Don't forget that he said 4 years ago he would't be in the Olympics because he would be too old, but that obviously changed. There's really no indication that he's slowing down in the slightest, and additional rest would certainly prolong any productive years he has left.

He's probably not going to be one of the guys that leaves while he's still the best. He's definitely going to fight until the end of his playing days.

=======

Now, regarding his replacement. It's too early to really judge how some of the prospects we have will develop. I can't see the Devils giving the reigns over to a rookie to carry the load. Maybe they will try some kind of a split situation where, if they have a talented prospect, that player will split time with a reasonably priced veteran goaltender. Similar to how Detroit handled Jimmy Howard.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think that he'll play until he can't be productive any longer. I totally agree with the idea that he can't even give up his own cage. He wants to play and win every game. Don't forget that he said 4 years ago he would't be in the Olympics because he would be too old, but that obviously changed. There's really no indication that he's slowing down in the slightest, and additional rest would certainly prolong any productive years he has left.

He's probably not going to be one of the guys that leaves while he's still the best. He's definitely going to fight until the end of his playing days.

=======

Now, regarding his replacement. It's too early to really judge how some of the prospects we have will develop. I can't see the Devils giving the reigns over to a rookie to carry the load. Maybe they will try some kind of a split situation where, if they have a talented prospect, that player will split time with a reasonably priced veteran goaltender. Similar to how Detroit handled Jimmy Howard.

to me thats the only way a rookie goalie can really come in, hell brodeur was that way too, where they come in, start out splitting duty and they flat out have to win the job.

its going to be a while until a replacement emerges, i sure as hell don't see it being frazee.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not totally sure how Marty would react to splitting time with his "replacement." Could you imagine if they did a 52/30 split and just before the playoffs Marty went cold. I know that logically, you would take the rookie, but how do you bench Brodeur?

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i highly doubt it would be marty splitting time with him i'm saying you'll probably see someone from within the system try to duke it out with someone we pick up on the FA market on a single year contract or something like that.
if thats the scenario obv. it won't be someone all that expensive, probably a 2 mil in the latter stages of his career as well.
if one of the kids comes up whie marty is here you'll proably see something along the lines of what i think we expect to see this year where maybe marty plays 60 games and the one being eased in gets the rest. something maybe along those line is the only way i could see someone being eased in while marty is still on the team