• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the farthest you played baseball?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My four sports are the Rams (where I am mod on the SportsHoopla), Lakers, Flyers (which isn't on my post ID because there are only three spaces), and the Phllies. I have been following sports for over 50 years so I am a bit of an old dude.

I live right now in the City of Maricopa. So I am close to Tempe. Maybe I'll catch a football game one of these years. If I do, perhaps I'll give ya' a heads up. I do the Rams-Cards every year so that is another option.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played rec baseball from t-ball to age 19. Never bothered trying out for a school team. I had the time to dedicate, but there were other things I'd rather be doing every day after school and during the weekend.

I played first base, where I had a real good glove. I tried some outfield, but didn't have any range, and I had a good enough arm to be a pitcher. Could throw around 85, but it was a lot like my golf swing, anybody's guess as to where it was going.

I was average at best with the bat. I got hit by a lot of pitches though.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never really played organized baseball. It really wasn't available. I grew up in West Philly where we mostly hung out and played hoops. I was starting to get good at that but the neighborhood went downhill and I got into one little fight and my mom got scared and sent me to live with my aunt and uncle in California. I played some at a private school there, but it wasn't the same. I spent most of my time fucking with my cousin Carlton and jerking off to my cousin Hilary. My uncle was loaded but he let some old banker and his dyke assistant named Hathaway control him so he could never spend any money on cool shit. We ate on the pool table and usually it was something fucked up like squirrel that my grandmother cooked. Eventually I transferred to another school that was ok but all the kids were like 40 years old. One dude, Dylan was pretty cool, but he was kind of a drama queen.
Anyway, long story short, no baseball for me.

Is this from The Jefferson's or The Cosby's?

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great topic. I was the neighborhood king in baseball. Outfield infield was no problem for me. I was a fundamentally sound player. Played middle school baseball and tried out for my high school team as a freshman, but it wasn't enough students trying out so baseball was let go. That was a bummer. So I gave up baseball for minute and finished school and started working. When my dept was starting up a team for the company baseball league, I jumped at the opportunity. But I was about 6 years removed and my skills have drop off. I still had my speed though. I went from being a young Strawberry to the guy they stick in right field because no one will hit there. When ur out the game for awhile, catching a fly ball is hard as sht. Lol. Baseball for me has always been more fun to play than any other sport.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never had the patience for all the practice involved in being good. (maybe if they had ritalin back then I would have been like Ruiz and been able to focus better). I will say that among the weird, random memories that I have I remember hitting a mammoth homerun in a stickball game in gym class. I think the game was being played with a tennis ball and a sawed-off broom handle. We were in a parking lot and the fence from a tennis court was the home run fence. I cleared the fence and even cleared the tennis net in the middle of the court. There is no better feeling than hitting a home run.. It' one of the few plays in sports where once it leaves the bat there is really no defense for it.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never had the patience for all the practice involved in being good. (maybe if they had ritalin back then I would have been like Ruiz and been able to focus better). I will say that among the weird, random memories that I have I remember hitting a mammoth homerun in a stickball game in gym class. I think the game was being played with a tennis ball and a sawed-off broom handle. We were in a parking lot and the fence from a tennis court was the home run fence. I cleared the fence and even cleared the tennis net in the middle of the court. There is no better feeling than hitting a home run.. It' one of the few plays in sports where once it leaves the bat there is really no defense for it.

This sounds like a story that would be told on Sunday afternoons at home games. Except it would probably end with "and then as I rounded third, I sprinted home and barreled the unobservant catcher over, because that's how Schmitty plays ball! It's called baseball, not pussyball Buster Posey!"

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played little league...I sucked...played right field....batted ninth.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the saying was that once the ball leaves the field there is really no defense for it

Maybe I heard Kiner say that

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the saying was that once the ball leaves the field there is really no defense for it

Maybe I heard Kiner say that

I wasn't quoting anyone, that's just my opinion. But I like Kiner's line better.
That's also the reason a lot of us undervalued Jimmy Rollins as a leadoff hitter for some years. It's easy to say that a lot of leadoff hitters had a higher obp, but getting on base doesn't guarantee you'll score a run, even if you can steal a base or two. On the other hand, those years when he hit 18-20 hrs those were guaranteed runs no matter what anyone else in the lineup does.