• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What will happen with Morales and Morse?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kendrys Morales has been the Mariners best hitter and Michael Morse has been the Mariners leading home-run hitter.

So what will happen?

Will the Mariners trade them away at the trade deadline? Re-sign them?

What does everyone think? I would personally like to see them both retained. Morales has been the Mariners best hitter and although Michael Morse has been injured frequently, he's on pace for 30 HRs and is one of the few competent hitters the Mariners have in their lineup.

If the Mariners want to build a winning team they need to retain the good pieces of the roster (Morales and Morse) and continue to add to those good pieces via free agency and trades.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to for two reasons.

1. Who would we have to replace them if they left?

For Morales, we have Smoak who has 8 RBI's all year. To put that into perspective Cubs pitcher Travis Wood has 7. Say what you want about his walks and singles, thats not you need from a 1st baseman with 0 speed. Next you have Montero who after his injury will likely be a September call up at best and is just now learning 1st.

For Morse, we have vets we Ibanez/Bay who although productive are not really expected to be back unless its for 1 more year. Guti I think will be gone, and outside of some hotstreaks Saunders is once again proving he just be 4th outfielder.

2. If we trade what do we get in return?

Here's the thing I think Z will at the very get to finish the year. If the decision is to trade them what is your confidence level in Z to get anything decent in return for them. I will be honest with you I have pretty much no confidence in us trading away major league talent for minor league prospects that will make a difference someday.
Worst case scenario I would rather us hang onto them for compensation picks although chances are we screw that up too.

Morales is a Boras guy so its unlikely anything to get done during the year. For team so starved for major league hitters the last 5 years, it would be a punch in the gut to trade your two best hitters for minor league no ones who will have no impact. I hate to beat the Fister drum again but I have seen it too much lately.

Just my 2 cents

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my 2 cents

I would say your two cents could very well be spot on....

I'm done with Smoak, I've been defending the guy that he needed the at bats, but the truth is he just wont hit for power, ( PED testing?) I think its time to take what ever someone is will to give for him.

Montero, I think the injury just bought him another year, they wont try and get him back, to be honest who cares if hes moving to 1st, he still wasn't hitting with a crap.

Ack, I let him sit down there and find his stroke again, let him get pissy about it, then bring him back on call ups in September...

Bay, let him play out the season, hes starting to hit, better, lets see what he can do the rest of the season.

Morse, keep and see if they can resign him in the off season, even if you doubt his abillity in the outfield, then there is a postion that Seattle fans cheerish and thats the DH, Gar made us believe, let the guy hit four times a game and not risk injury in the field..

Morales, Boras guy, I think you have to get him resigned, you need a real first baseman, and lets face it this guy is the closet thing we have right now, resign him...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bring this question up mostly due to the Mariners reluctance to spend money, I just don't see that you can let Morales or Morse go.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bring this question up mostly due to the Mariners reluctance to spend money, I just don't see that you can let Morales or Morse go.

They can't let them go but honestly why would Morales want to stay here? He'll get competitive offers from other teams that are closer to winning. You might have a chance with Morse, he seems like he genuinely likes it here... maybe just for show.

I don't have any faith in Jack to make the trades but I think with our current team you have to trade these guys and try to get young, on the cusp major league hitters. I don't know from where....

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, the Mariners keep Morales.
realistically, it won't happen. Scott Boras will write a 200-page promotional book on Morales and spread it around the GM and Winter meetings next December, convincing everyone as to why Morales deserves a 6-year, $120 million contract.

He won't get that much money, but he'll still get a lot from someone, and it will be more than the Mariners want to spend on him.

I think the team has a much, much better chance of retaining Morse. But, Morse also has to want to be here, which is definitely not a given.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any faith in Jack to make the trades but I think with our current team you have to trade these guys and try to get young, on the cusp major league hitters. I don't know from where....

I'm tired of trading to get young. They've been doing that for five years. Can you name one single prospect that Jack has traded a veteran for, who has made an impact on the Mariners? One? Smoak, Furbush, Montero and Beavan are the only guys I can think of, and none of them are 'impact' players.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of trading to get young. They've been doing that for five years. Can you name one single prospect that Jack has traded a veteran for, who has made an impact on the Mariners? One? Smoak, Furbush, Montero and Beavan are the only guys I can think of, and none of them are 'impact' players.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Wasn't Casper Wells supposed to be a young, "on the cusp major league hitter"?

Look how that turned out.

I'm not sure if it is just bad luck, or if it really is Jack's fault, or if "prospects" really are this hit and miss. But every time I think of trading a productive player like Doug Fister for Casper Wells and a bunch of other trash I instantly rage inside.

I'd rather try to re-sign him and take the draft pick if he leaves. I'm honestly at the point where I feel like we will have better luck in the draft than trading for a prospect.

Justin Smoak and Jesus Montero were both universally regarded as top prospects and neither panned out. Jack is obviously not the only one who thought highly of those guys, so I don't think it's the scouting I just think that prospects are like baseball's version of the poverty trap.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough, you're right. Well, what does Jack do? Morales is not going to resign, unless the Mariners outbid by a lot and I feel the same with Morse, except I'm not sure there is the market for him that there is for Morales.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, you're right. Well, what does Jack do? Morales is not going to resign, unless the Mariners outbid by a lot and I feel the same with Morse, except I'm not sure there is the market for him that there is for Morales.

I hold out naive hope that Morales will want to re-sign.

Seattle is consistently voted by players as one of their favorite places to play.

Although it might have something to do with the fact that it's an easy win...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why can't they sign Morales? The club has gone cheap but it's like it is out of the realm of possibility. They got Felix signed then who is next in the organization that is going to get paid? Seager maybe, none of the young guys Jack has brought in is going to cost a nickel.

I think the M's have to over spend on re-signing him but he is more valuable to the M's than most teams. And as stated, what faith do you have in Jack dealing Morales for anything? I can't imagine he would actually net the M's any top prospect that they need unless Jack packages one of the big 3, Maurer or Ackley/Seager.