• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is going on with the offense...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He will be our puck mover and PP qb when Boyle retires. Looking at how our defense moves the puck and how our pp looked with Boyle out, I will say that Burns will be a hell of a lot more valuable to this team than Coyle.

Yes, that was the point of landing Burns, top tier offensive defenseman are far more rare then a 3rd tier forward. Burns should be entering his prime and Boyle is still holding down the fort, looking at Boyler he probably has 2 more productive years left in him.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So 81 out of 82 games last year and 80 of 82 the year before now qualifies as never playing?

Talking bout this seasons injury, added to the concussions before SJ got him... I dont care what someone has done in the passed, cause it doesnt really matter in a current situation, and currenty he has yet to play...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Talking bout this seasons injury, added to the concussions before SJ got him... I dont care what someone has done in the passed, cause it doesnt really matter in a current situation, and currenty he has yet to play...

What he's done in the past is highly relevant as it attests to his ability to come back from injury and still play at a high level.

Isnt a 3rd liner still more productive than a guy that never plays?

By saying he "never plays" you are stating that at no point in his career has he been regularly healthy which is false. Perhaps you ment "currently isn't playing" to which I would say Coyle is currently nothing more than AHL fodder and his productivity is more or less equal to someone not in the line up.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny to me that out of those flurry of trades with the Wild in 2011, the James Sheppard trade might be biggest impact and biggest steal. Burns has been nothing special to me but I think I put him on a pedestal that he didn't belong on in the first place. I expected more from him offensively and a whole helluva a lot more from him physically. In his last season with the Wild, he had 133 hits. In his first season with the Sharks, he had 68. Setoguchi's career is going down in flames, he has fallen out of favor in Minnesota and has been downright awful as we all know. I really like Charlie Coyle and think he can be more than just a 3rd liner, either way, if Burns can be healthy and maximize his potential, it's a good deal for us based on Setoguchi's downfall alone lol. With that said, I wouldn't mind the Sharks making a run at re-acquiring him. Is it that far-fetched? Do you think the Wild would be interested in the hometown kid Justin Braun? I'm just thinking about Seto on the 3rd line with Gomez and I'm kind of pitching a tent right now, could be a nice boost to our bottom six. I feel like Martin Havlat has made about the same impact as Dany Heatley did, that trade has been a wash so far. Trending away from the trades with Minnesota, I'm starting to hop on the "trade Ryane Clowe" bandwagon. I love the guy but he's in the last year of his contract and I feel like he is going nowhere but down. Pierre LeBrun hinted at the fact that the Sharks may be trying to extend Clowe, I'd rather Dougie shop him, I'm really interested to see how Clowe is viewed throughout the league and what type of player(s) we could get in return for him. Thoughts fellas?

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny to me that out of those flurry of trades with the Wild in 2011, the James Sheppard trade might be biggest impact and biggest steal. Burns has been nothing special to me but I think I put him on a pedestal that he didn't belong on in the first place. I expected more from him offensively and a whole helluva a lot more from him physically. In his last season with the Wild, he had 133 hits. In his first season with the Sharks, he had 68. Setoguchi's career is going down in flames, he has fallen out of favor in Minnesota and has been downright awful as we all know. I really like Charlie Coyle and think he can be more than just a 3rd liner, either way, if Burns can be healthy and maximize his potential, it's a good deal for us based on Setoguchi's downfall alone lol. With that said, I wouldn't mind the Sharks making a run at re-acquiring him. Is it that far-fetched? Do you think the Wild would be interested in the hometown kid Justin Braun? I'm just thinking about Seto on the 3rd line with Gomez and I'm kind of pitching a tent right now, could be a nice boost to our bottom six. I feel like Martin Havlat has made about the same impact as Dany Heatley did, that trade has been a wash so far. Trending away from the trades with Minnesota, I'm starting to hop on the "trade Ryane Clowe" bandwagon. I love the guy but he's in the last year of his contract and I feel like he is going nowhere but down. Pierre LeBrun hinted at the fact that the Sharks may be trying to extend Clowe, I'd rather Dougie shop him, I'm really interested to see how Clowe is viewed throughout the league and what type of player(s) we could get in return for him. Thoughts fellas?

Up to this point, I feel the Sharks got the best two players in that series of trades between the two teams in Havlat and Burns. Can't say anything about Coyle or Philips yet since they are still young. Heater was breaking down and costed a fat $7.5 (saved $2.5). That trade made the Sharks faster.

I think Havlat offers much more than Heatley when healthy. Now Burns is injured, but offers so much when on the ice. A big dman that can advance the puck with his speed and join the rush is a valued commodity. Sheppard is playing while the 3rd rounder hasn't happened yet.

About Clowe, his pending UFA status lowers his value. Any team interested in him would be a contender wanting to acquire Clowe for pick(s) as a rental player, imo. DWil hasn't traded for futures in a long time. I'd be fine with trading him for the right return though. The only thing is since he and Murray are the only tough SOBs on the roster, I'd prefer to have one of them in the lineup on any given night. I'd rather it be Clowe than Murray.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You need to keep in mind that the coaching staff in San Jose last year worked to completely change Burns' game. From the start of the season they stressed defensive zone play as his number one responsibility instead of offense in transition. That is going to have an adverse effect on both his offensive production and his physical play. By the end of last season his play in the defensive zone was good and his offensive production was returning to a level close to what it was with the Wild. He had turned from a player who was all offense and a liability in his own zone to one of the better two way dmen in the league.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yahoo: Burns practiced with the team today and will be traveling with the team. So that sounds good, I guess :think:

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You need to keep in mind that the coaching staff in San Jose last year worked to completely change Burns' game. From the start of the season they stressed defensive zone play as his number one responsibility instead of offense in transition. That is going to have an adverse effect on both his offensive production and his physical play. By the end of last season his play in the defensive zone was good and his offensive production was returning to a level close to what it was with the Wild. He had turned from a player who was all offense and a liability in his own zone to one of the better two way dmen in the league." -Cmon

Burns was awful in his own end while he was playing in Minnesota and he definitely improved that area of his game when he came to SJ. However, the guy is 6'5", 230 lbs. I wish he'd lay the boom every once in awhile but he isn't very physical and doesn't have a mean streak, which is probably why Doug Wilson decided to give him about 6 million dollars per year, he fits right in with this team.

"Up to this point, I feel the Sharks got the best two players in that series of trades between the two teams in Havlat and Burns. Can't say anything about Coyle or Philips yet since they are still young. Heater was breaking down and costed a fat $7.5 (saved $2.5). That trade made the Sharks faster." -SJVP

I don't think we can really even count Phillips, who knows who the Sharks would have drafted with that pick. If Phillips was the best player available at that time, you can guarantee that the Sharks would have drafted some no-name European. As far as the Heatley/Havlat deal goes, we may have saved $2.5 mil towards our cap for a couple years but we have to pay Havlat 6 million in 2014/2015, while Heatley would have been off our books completely. I will say, the Sharks seemed to play a lot better when Marty was in the lineup and yes he is faster, I would have more appreciation for that speed if he back-checked on every shift, either way he's not a leader and it seems like he takes nights off. Remind you anybody? Heatley...that's I view that deal as a wash.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:yahoo: Burns practiced with the team today and will be traveling with the team. So that sounds good, I guess :think:

Lets see how todd manages to fuck up the defensive chemisty that SJ has had... he's already fucked up the cycling system that was working on O... guess its time to completely resort back to 11-12 woo hoo

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Burns was paired with Stuart in practice today. In previous practices he's been paired with whomever was going to be scratched from the line-up. Maybe a sign that he's closer to returning than expected.

Or it could be a sign that Stuart's going to be a healthy scratch tomorrow...

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Burns was paired with Stuart in practice today. In previous practices he's been paired with whomever was going to be scratched from the line-up. Maybe a sign that he's closer to returning than expected.

Why in the world would he stratch Stuart if hes healthy?

Actually, nevermind. Its Todd... just refer to my post thats a few before this...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Why not he scratched Irwin when he was playing well

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why in the world would he stratch Stuart if hes healthy?

Actually, nevermind. Its Todd... just refer to my post thats a few before this...

That last part of my previous post was made in jest. It was sarcasm based on the fact Irwin and Demers both have been scratched from the line up in favor of Murray.

D pairings at todays practice were:
Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Burns
Braun - Demers
Murray - Irwin

Kurz seems to believe there's a good chance Burns may be back tomorrow. The Sharks will have to make a roster move before they can activate Burns from the IR. It's too late for a waiver move so the only posibilities that can happen for Burns to be activated for tomorrows game are Irwin assigned back to Worcester or one of the other players is placed on the IR.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That last part of my previous post was made in jest. It was sarcasm based on the fact Irwin and Demers both have been scratched from the line up in favor of Murray.

D pairings at todays practice were:
Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Burns
Braun - Demers
Murray - Irwin

Kurz seems to believe there's a good chance Burns may be back tomorrow. The Sharks will have to make a roster move before they can activate Burns from the IR. It's too late for a waiver move so the only posibilities that can happen for Burns to be activated for tomorrows game are Irwin assigned back to Worcester or one of the other players is placed on the IR.

Puts Burns right on schedule to if not a little early, Hope they dont trade Irwin but to be honest Murray is looking more and more like the second coming of Colin White, and who the hell is going to trade for that

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin White...:L I remember how solid of a signing I thought that was by Dougie. I'm not sure if I have ever been sooooo horribly wrong about something in my life. Colin White was fucking GOD AWFUL and in one of the biggest acts of stupidity, Todd McLellan put him in the lineup 57 times!!! Three of those times in the playoffs when we were absolutely obliterated by a much faster, better team.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scratch Burish, Desi or Gali & put burns or demers at forward... like I said before, its impossible to be even worse in terms of scoring then the bottom 6 already is... If there gonna scratch someone, it has to be a forward IMO

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burish is such a waste of space. We are talking about a guy who wasn't done a damn thing in this league and Doug Wilson decided to give him over 7 million dollars over 4 years. The only reason why anybody knows who Adam Burish is, is because of his mouth, not his play. This is a guy who called a Hall of Famer (Chris Pronger), the biggest idiot in the league. He wasn't good enough to play every game in the playoffs so he decided to run his mouth and he couldn't keep it shut. It is beyond me how our idiot GM ties us down to this hack for 4 years but let's a quality two-way forward in Daniel Winnik walk to a division rival. They are trying so hard to push him as a gritty, "character" guy. He chips his tooth during practice three weeks ago and is being hailed as a hero and a fan-favorite. With all that said, we are 4th in the league in PK Percentage this season, a huge jump from last year. Is that because of Burish? I hope not, lol. I freaking hate Adam Burish!

Chris Pronger Responds to Adam Burish - YouTube

Category 5o

Errday Trollin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something needs to be done. Garbage... No goals, not even in the shoot out.

patrickjc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I posted this on today's GDT, but it also applies to this thread....

Kind of tough to score when 3 of your big guns have 2 SOG between them: Marleau 1, Pavelski 1, Couture 0. Throw in Thornton's 3 SOG and you have 5 between the 4 of them. That is really stepping up and playing with fire!!

I think the Sharks believe their point total will be enough to get them in the playoffs as it stands now. No need to put out a lot of effort.

Add --- TURNOVERS, no physical play, poor passing. Watching the Sharks lately is worse than watching paint dry.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i like burrish and what he brings,he wasnt brought into score he was brought into to provide grit and fire and sets an example with hard work and sacrafice. Things this team sorely lack, he's a rally type guy and he fits the role perfectly