• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL What do you grade the Mariners' FO for the Cano/Diaz trade?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now know the final details of the deal. It's Cano, Diaz and $20m for Dunn, Bruce, Swarzak, Kelenic and Bautista.

Trade saves the Mariners about $64m on Cano's deal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God I'm a hungover retard and forgot to put the poll options on there.

Just discuss in the comments, lol.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching and waiting to see us get rid of Seager and his hugely overpriced contract. Nobody wants him OR his salary which means we will have to eat a ton or we're stuck with him.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give it a solid B, got out of Canos contract. Now if they hit on at least one of the prospects especially the outfielder this is an A.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking from a friend that knows baseball far better than I do (but I agree with him):

"It's a fair trade for both teams. The Mets need to supplement a pitching staff they have now with quality players and the Ms need to completely rebuild."

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to tell, but my issue is they aren’t going to use the money yet have it to burn to buy McNeil. Don’t be cheap when you want to go from 130 million dollar budget yet rebuilding teams have a 60-70 million dollar budget. If you have money to buy prospects then do it, don’t half ass pretend.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've now lost Diaz, Cano, James Paxton, Nelson Cruz and Mike Zunino.... Man.. We won't know if the trade is good for a while...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've now lost Diaz, Cano, James Paxton, Nelson Cruz and Mike Zunino.... Man.. We won't know if the trade is good for a while...
Which is perfectly ok. This is what true rebuilding mode look like.

This team will stink 2019 and 2020.... we should see result hopefully 2021. #1 draft position is a real possibility next season.

Previous teams that went into full rebuild ended up doing well are: Cubs and Astros. Teams that are on the rise due to their rebuilding are: Braves, possibly Phillies.

I understand people not wanting to lose key players, but it is needed.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This team will stink 2019 and 2020.... we should see result hopefully 2021. #1 draft position is a real possibility next season.

Previous teams that went into full rebuild ended up doing well are: Cubs and Astros. Teams that are on the rise due to their rebuilding are: Braves, possibly Phillies.

I get the rebuilding part, but when have the M’s actually pulled that off ? I don’t have a lot of confidence... Now we’re saying adios to Segura possibly ...

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give it a solid B, got out of Canos contract. Now if they hit on at least one of the prospects especially the outfielder this is an A.
Agreed. I give them a B. They owed $120 million to a 36-year old who is a roider and prone to mental errors in the field, at the plate, and on the base paths. How do you realisticly compile what the Mets will get for him? I'll try. 700 hits, 500 runs, 75 homeruns, 500 RBI over 810 games.

And there is a reasonable chance that the Mariners, with Bruce being four years younger than Cano, will get equivolent production from Bruce over the two years they control his contract.

Eddie Diaz had a magical season for sure, but at the end of the day he is still just a closer.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would also say that the Cano deal is far, far better than the Segura deal. I give Dipoto an F on this one, maybe a D- if I'm being generous.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the rebuilding part, but when have the M’s actually pulled that off ? I don’t have a lot of confidence... Now we’re saying adios to Segura possibly ...
Too many big contracts to unload. They probably can't get it done in one off-season. And in reality, I think the goal is to change the culture of the team with a total rebuild being secondary. So far they've unloaded about $57 million off of the 2019 payroll but brought in about $40 million. The real payroll relief wont materialize until after the 2020 season when Santana, Leake and Bruce all come off the books.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B sounds about right for now but yeah its tough to really say

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a time frame on when they actually rebuild since 2003? My guess is you can't find any because they didn't rebuild. Band-aid on top of band-aid is not a rebuild. This is the first time in 16-17 years that they've went down to the stud. I'm optimistic this is a full rebuild. My only wish is that they've done it sooner but it is what it is and it's where we're at.

The fact that they have some talent left like Diaz to package with Cano in unloading his contract is a win for me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a time frame on when they actually rebuild since 2003? My guess is you can't find any because they didn't rebuild. Band-aid on top of band-aid is not a rebuild. This is the first time in 16-17 years that they've went down to the stud. I'm optimistic this is a full rebuild. My only wish is that they've done it sooner but it is what it is and it's where we're at.

The fact that they have some talent left like Diaz to package with Cano in unloading his contract is a win for me.

This.

Everyone mentions how this team has been rebuilding for the last two decades, really they haven't gone into a full blown rebuild like this. Band-aids were what the Mariners were doing in the past.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah this is bigger than the past, I guess we gotta hope that Dipoto knows what he's doing...

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give the deal a B+.

I think we could have landed more from a prospect standpoint had we moved Diaz by himself, but this was the only way we could unload Cano so we got a little less in return. In 2021 when this rebuild starts to take shape we will be better off for this move when we aren't handcuffed to Cano's deal and can actually go out and sign some legit players t fill out the young nucleus. That being said, we are landing a couple of prospects that are getting more love from scouts than probably any deal JeDi has done so far. There's always "if's" with prospects, but if this Kelenic kid turns into what most scouts are saying about him he could be the first true superstar we've had in their prime since Ichiro. That makes this deal a win for sure.

When you look at any of the deals the M's are making right now in terms of salaries anything we are getting back looks to be off the books in the next two years. So this tells me JeDi is going for returns by 2021 in this rebuild which lines up with his contract just the same. Hopefully by then some of our prospects will be ready to make the step, and we should have the cap space to make some significant splashes in free agency. For once, there is a plan in place and it's clear where that direction is going for the next few years. Either we will be legit by 2021 or JeDi will be sent packing and it's time for a new regime........AGAIN!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But the teams you listed actually did a rebuild. The Mariners are not in a true rebuild, they have gotten rid of longer contracts for crappy short term ones. If the Mariners wanted to do a legit rebuild with the assets they had, they needed to look at the Yankees, not the Cubs or Astros. Those teams were bad enough to get top picks, Jerry has still left a team that isn’t as bad as the other tanking teams.

But the Cano/Diaz deal should be around a B to B-. They got rid of two guys who are pointless for the direction they are going but were too cheap on the deal to make it an A. The original package was an A regardless of how the prospects turned out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Everyone mentions how this team has been rebuilding for the last two decades, really they haven't gone into a full blown rebuild like this. Band-aids were what the Mariners were doing in the past.

No, this team hasn’t rebuilt since the early 90’s when they had a dangerous Randy and were bad enough to get great prospects in the draft (or at least drafted them). They didn’t need to with the should have been dynasty of the 90’s. They should have torn everything down in 2003 when the team got old fast but they went and spent in FA which was dumb as they spent enough to compete but not enough to win. But Bavasi was hired to keep the money flowing in and he did a good job of that. Jack Z actually did a good job of starting a true rebuild then accidentally they had a surprise season and scrapped it and went for FA again. Jerry is doing a limp wristed rebuild because he is getting rid of salary but how much salary has he really cut by the bad contracts he has taken on.

Sweet in 2020 they will be in good shape with payroll, but shit instead paying 3 bad contracts just should have sent that money to the Mets and Phillies for prospects, not players. He has made them worse, but not bad enough to get a top pick like the Cubs and Astros did for a few years in a row nor did he get the boat load of good prospects the Yankees did when they dealt inferior players than the Mariners had.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, this team hasn’t rebuilt since the early 90’s when they had a dangerous Randy and were bad enough to get great prospects in the draft (or at least drafted them). They didn’t need to with the should have been dynasty of the 90’s. They should have torn everything down in 2003 when the team got old fast but they went and spent in FA which was dumb as they spent enough to compete but not enough to win. But Bavasi was hired to keep the money flowing in and he did a good job of that. Jack Z actually did a good job of starting a true rebuild then accidentally they had a surprise season and scrapped it and went for FA again. Jerry is doing a limp wristed rebuild because he is getting rid of salary but how much salary has he really cut by the bad contracts he has taken on.

Sweet in 2020 they will be in good shape with payroll, but shit instead paying 3 bad contracts just should have sent that money to the Mets and Phillies for prospects, not players. He has made them worse, but not bad enough to get a top pick like the Cubs and Astros did for a few years in a row nor did he get the boat load of good prospects the Yankees did when they dealt inferior players than the Mariners had.

I agree we should've sent more money for prospects, unfortunately that's not what happened. I have to assume that one boils down to ownership.

Regarding the team being bad enough to land top picks for a few years, I suppose we'll see. There are still some players (Leake, Gordon, Santana, Gamel, Bruce, Seager) who could be moved. Don't underestimate how bad Dipoto can make this team.