• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8: Virginia Tech @ Clemson (Oct. 20, 2012)

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So the rest of the game sucked and O'Cain called a bad game? O'Cain must still have an allegiance to Clemson. Last year predictable...a little TOO predictable know what I mean...and this year a f'ed up joke.

It's nice to see people on here coming around to my view of things. Just wish Beamer would as well

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat OT--At least UVA lost to Wake 16-10. Amazingly enough..VT STILL controls its destiny in the Division.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Missed the entire second half coaching my son and my soccer team to victory in the county tournament...won 5-3 and my son scored 4 goals in the first quarter...life is good.

Honestly, after watching the second quarter, I had an idea of where this game was going. I don't expect fsu game to be much different. Not that I'm not rooting for the hokies, but I think we needed to have a mediocre-bad season for these changes to happen. I just hope they do. According to an article on tkp, beamers hand will be forced. Newsome will be gone. I just hope Stiney is no longer OC after this season or we can look forward to more of the same

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat OT--At least UVA lost to Wake 16-10. Amazingly enough..VT STILL controls its destiny in the Division.

we have the talent to win the division as well, just not convinced our offensive coaches can get us there.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Newsome and O'Cain do deserve to be fired.
- Stiney needs to be moved back to TE coach and taken out of the booth and any playcalling inputs. He needs to do what he does best and that is recruit.
- We have to get a big time OC/QB coach. Spend the money.
- We need an OL coach that can get the big boys in the trenches. Look at Bama, LSU, Stanford, etc. if you want to have that power rushing team you need an o-line that will wear down your opponents.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisColemanTSL Current rumors surrounding Tony Franklin, the OC at La Tech.

wonder where thats coming from, but that would be nice.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisColemanTSL Current rumors surrounding Tony Franklin, the OC at La Tech.

wonder where thats coming from, but that would be nice.

Heard something about Bud having ties to Franklin. I guess from Murray State days. I guess a 55 year old coach might be willing to come on board if he ever wants a shot at a national title. I am sure they'll all be gone once Beamer retires.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:clap2:

First part isn't right but the score was pretty close.

I did get close, didn't I? GO ME! But I almost wish the game would have gone like I had in mind when I made that prediction. Then today wouldn't have been so frustrating. Because despite the final score, we easily could have won this game. So now, here are my thoughts sans in the moment anger.

-Getting this out of the way first. The referees were terrible. TERRIBLE. I'm not one of these fans that blames the refs any time something goes against their team but today, referee incompetence (which is what is was) certainly had an effect on this game. Despite the offensive struggles, the game was still winnable when we totally got fucked over by that Thomas non-sack which was quickly followed up by the Clemson fumble which wasn't over turned despite CLEAR VIDEO EVIDENCE.

-Defense did a great job today across the board. The guys upfront were getting great pressure and knocking OL off the line of scrimmage. Secondary did a good job staying with their man as well. The defense brought their A game. They took away Clemson's big play ability, totally rattled Boyd, and limited yardage. Problem was the dam had to break at some point when we kept giving Clemson great field position.

-We knew going in that in order to win, we'd need A games from both the defense and offense and maybe some Clemson TOs. We got two of three. It's just too bad the offense decided to bring its D game. Only thing that's keeping it from being an F is they were good in the 1st quarter yet totally fell apart.

-LT did okish today. His TOs were REALLY bad though. The first INT, I couldn't tell if he overthrew his WR or if he underthrew it trying to throw it out of bounds. And then the 2nd INT, holy crap what a terrible throw. He missed a couple of open checkdowns that may have gotten first downs, instead choosing to throw bombs to Davis in double coverage. I thought he kept a little too much on the read option at times as well.

-The O-line played like garbage. At this point, I'm not even sure why David Wang keeps getting starts. Every run to the outside, they got zero push. The run game went away after the first quarter and most of it is on the O-line.

-For the most part, I thought the play calling this year has been fine. Most of our struggles have been with player execution. Not today. That was a shitfest in the booth today. I think if they closed their eyes and randomly picked a play we would have had more success. We had a nice mix of inside runs, outside runs, and passes in the first quarter. We were rolling. Then we totally abandoned it. Once the refs started to screw us over, its like the booth completely panicked and chaos ensued. Puzzling playcalls for down and distance, running plays stubbornly designed to go east-west, etc etc. On and on it went like they were competing to see how stupid they could look.

-And this deserves its own paragraph. The WR pass. Holy shit. The first time we ran it, it was a total mess. It took too long develop and we didn't even line up right. We were fortunate to have not turned it over. SO WHY IN THE HELL would you think its a good idea to run it again? There is not a single reason to justify this. From the minute they run it again, its a clusterfuck. It takes too long, Davis doesn't really get set, the blocking for him is terrible so he has to throw with Clemson D bearing down on him, and then he makes a bad throw clear across the field to a covered Coleman. Everything about this screams FAIL. The previous drive we moved the ball well. This play wasn't needed AT ALL. Not in execution, not in concept. Let LT lead the drive. The players on field failed miserably because there were two idiots in the booth today that set them up for failure. PERIOD.

So there it is. Clemson showed up today and said "Hey VT, your defense hit us pretty hard. Go ahead and win this game" and we responded "Thanks but no thanks, Clemson. We're super content throwing up on ourselves."

Last edited by a moderator:

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
StephenRoot.jpg

This is Newsome

Newsome - i i i r-r-really don't think you should play today Wang b-b-ecause you're hurt and you're not that g-g-good either

Wang - BUT I WANT TO PLAY COACH

Newsome - i r-r-really don't ... ok

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As of right now that isn't actually the case. Even though we own the head-to-head tiebreaker, Duke has a game up on us. :(

I don't know what to say about the game we watched today. The refs were terrible. I hope we send them a tape of all the PI calls they missed (both offensive and defensive). There were more than the two that really killed us in the 3rd. Plus the horrible replay result (I really wonder how replay results can come out so obviously wrong as often as they do...). Plus the terrible sack call when LT was still fully upright. And the fact that those 4 things all happened in rapid succession just killed us emotionally, too.

But it wasn't just the officials. It was the turnovers. It was the terrible play calls. Etc. I won't harp on mistakes that the players made. They played hard, and for the most part they played well. But the play calling... I don't want to say it was all bad, but the bad calls stood out sooo badly. It's a lot easier to give the kids on the field a break than it is to excuse the professionals in the booth.

My heart goes out to this team. I know they're hurting. They deserve better than this. They are a better team than the record shows. I hope they can put this behind them and come out firing against Miami, get back in the win column and restore a little pride. LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My heart goes out to this team. I know they're hurting. They deserve better than this. They are a better team than the record shows. I hope they can put this behind them and come out firing against Miami, get back in the win column and restore a little pride. LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

I agree.

GO HOKIES!

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now that isn't actually the case. Even though we own the head-to-head tiebreaker, Duke has a game up on us. :(

True, I was saying this based on the assumption that UNC would beat DUke. So much for assumptions. Still, I think we have a great shot at representing the coastal if we win 3 of our last 4 (minus say FSU). Duke has FSU, U, Clemson AND GT for their last four. I just can't see them getting through that stretch any better than 2-2, which would leave them with 3 ACC losses. The next game with Miami is huge..if we lose that game..we are for all intents and purposes..OUT, same may go for them as well.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I'm more focused on us making a bowl than the ACCCG. If we lose to Miami, people will start to realize there is a real possibility that this team does not make a bowl game. A loss to FSU after that will put us at 4-6 with must-win games @ BC and vs UVA. BC may be 1-6, but that is still not a guaranteed win on the road. UVA is garbage, though.

If we beat Miami, then maybe I'll think about the ACCCG.

757vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Woah. Just read that Tony Franklin broke the ncaa record for most yards a game with 800+ yards

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed some of the first half of the game and just got around to watching on DVR. Did everyone see just how pathetic the blocking was from Mallek and Martin on the 4th down we got stuffed on in the 1st qrtr? I am not even sure if Mallek was supposed to block or run a route.....considering LT handing the ball off and it was only a yard needed for the 1st, I would say Mallek was supposed to block. And Martin is just plain unathletic and cannot block worth shit....he got driven back and the entire play blew up. And how stupid are the coaches to run the ball to the same location where Mallek and Martin are the primary blockers (Becton blocked down to the inside)?!?!?! And it had no bearing on the play, but on the opposite side a single Clemson defender was driving both Benedict and Painter backwards!!!....Benedict ended up on his back. How can Painter bench 500 lbs, yet get manhandled on short yardage plays such as this?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I missed some of the first half of the game and just got around to watching on DVR. Did everyone see just how pathetic the blocking was from Mallek and Martin on the 4th down we got stuffed on in the 1st qrtr? I am not even sure if Mallek was supposed to block or run a route.....considering LT handing the ball off and it was only a yard needed for the 1st, I would say Mallek was supposed to block. And Martin is just plain unathletic and cannot block worth shit....he got driven back and the entire play blew up. And how stupid are the coaches to run the ball to the same location where Mallek and Martin are the primary blockers (Becton blocked down to the inside)?!?!?! And it had no bearing on the play, but on the opposite side a single Clemson defender was driving both Benedict and Painter backwards!!!....Benedict ended up on his back. How can Painter bench 500 lbs, yet get manhandled on short yardage plays such as this?

I don't understand why Wang and Martin are ever on the field. Both are completely worthless. Martin should never see the field and Wang should only play when Gibson is hurt. Malleck at least has shown some ability in spots. Benedict and Painter sadly are bright spots on the line but they can look bad too. I would not care if the strength coach got canned either. Of course Newsome is capable of undermining almost anyone's good efforts so maybe it's not Gentry

Like I said on here before the play ... DO NOT RUN OR SNEAK...but what did they do? I shouldn't be surprised because I've been watching VT football for 15 years. The sneak worked last year but it hasn't worked this year. You think that matters? They still try it with the same frequency. A short pass of any kind from the same formation would be the perfect play

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why Wang and Martin are ever on the field. Both are completely worthless. Martin should never see the field and Wang should only play when Gibson is hurt. Malleck at least has shown some ability in spots. Benedict and Painter sadly are bright spots on the line but they can look bad too. I would not care if the strength coach got canned either. Of course Newsome is capable of undermining almost anyone's good efforts so maybe it's not Gentry

Like I said on here before the play ... DO NOT RUN OR SNEAK...but what did they do? I shouldn't be surprised because I've been watching VT football for 15 years. The sneak worked last year but it hasn't worked this year. You think that matters? They still try it with the same frequency. A short pass of any kind from the same formation would be the perfect play

Maybe Wang knows what he is supposed to do, but just struggles to do it.....probably better than Gibson or others missing assignments. I could argue that Gentry is one of the key players of the years who has molded VT into a solid program. The S and C program is not the issue.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Wang knows what he is supposed to do, but just struggles to do it.....probably better than Gibson or others missing assignments. I could argue that Gentry is one of the key players of the years who has molded VT into a solid program. The S and C program is not the issue.

If you read The Key Play, I'm not so sure he does. 8 games into the season and they probably have a whole book just on how bad he is.