• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 4: Virginia Tech v Bowling Green (Sept. 22, 2012)

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exum came up in run support got in front of a blocker, played patty cake and let the guy run right by. He should have at least slowed the play down a bit

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought Nicolas had overcommitted inside on that 3rd down play, but he made an impressive recovery. Then blew past the OT on 4th down.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it, but if we play like we did today against Pitt I think we still lose. If we don't keep improving we have at least 3 more losses on our schedule.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hate to say it, but if we play like we did today against Pitt I think we still lose. If we don't keep improving we have at least 3 more losses on our schedule.

LT is still inconsistent, O-line is still committing penalties and missing blocks. But at least we went to the outside and took advantage of Gregory's and Coleman's speed. They finally learned what works. I think the outside runs have been there all year. Much more so than the inside stuff that's for sure

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT is still inconsistent, O-line is still committing penalties and missing blocks. But at least we went to the outside and took advantage of Gregory's and Coleman's speed. They finally learned what works. I think the outside runs have been there all year. Much more so than the inside stuff that's for sure

Actually the biggest adjustment I saw today was running Logan to the inside. If we can spread defenses out enough then LT runs will always be there. However, to spread the defense out we need LT to play well, and he isn't. What we did today won't work against good defenses.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple comments on defensive personnel.

Exum was better in coverage today. The pick was lucky, but he was in good position. Putting yourself in position to make a play is half the battle. He still sucks against the run, which just doesn't make any sense.

I'm still not seeing the level of effort and intensity we need from the front 7. I really don't know know what the problem is, but our DL is not getting after the passer effectively and not doing a good enough job holding their own against the run. Tyrell Wilson is probably our best pass rusher right now, but he shouldn't be in the game in running situations.

We really need Tariq back. He got some snaps with the 2nd team, so that's a good sign. G-W was not, as far as I could tell, at backer at all, so Bruce will be stuck there until Tariq is back. Bruce was more aggressive today. He wasn't tested as much in coverage.

Jack Tyler continues to be a liability against the pass. Can't say I'm disappointing with him, as he's really done an admirable job, but he's not a player with a high ceiling. He may be the weak link in our defense next year.

Kyle wasn't tested too much, but he wasn't as aggressive against the run. he's clearly not completely recovered from his shoulder injury. We need him to be 100% against Cincinnati and UNCheat.

RVD played well... again. I really think we'd be better off, at least against spread teams, with RVD at WHIP and G-W at backer.

I wasn't high on Frye coming out of TD high, but he showed some things today that make me think he'll be the guy. He's spry but he can fly, and his limit is the sky. Watch out he'll light you up like the fourth of July.

/out

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
running game got it together today. defense played ok, but lets not forget that BGSU had 3 wide open td's but the qb/wr just sucked on the play. good/decent teams score those. that said, im obviously pleased with the shutout. the passing game is still extremely concerning

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing. Kyshoen Jarrett is a beast.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
obviously some things to work on but the running game looked better and our secondary looked better. MD7 needs to quit dropping easy passes and LT needs to continue to be aggressive in the read and quit staring down Davis and only Davis. i'll take it

think that if we can do THAT, we're good enough to beat the next few teams up to clemson. we need to fix a lot of things defensively to be able to hang with them.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller needs to figure out how to snap the ball to Logan in the shotgun. There were plenty of times LT had to pick the ball up off the ground or caught the ball below his knees, then had to stand up and make his reads. It seems like a lot of these times led to incompletions.

Marcus Davis dropps a lot of (screen) passes

LT continues to audible to only screens when he audibles. Teams will start to pick up on this.

It was good to see the running game get going. Seemed like the OL actually did a decent job pulling on outside runs

I think Bonner and Exum both played better in coverage, but as was pointed out, there were 3 breakdowns in coverage specifically that would have been touchdowns if we were playing a more talented team

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Actually the biggest adjustment I saw today was running Logan to the inside. If we can spread defenses out enough then LT runs will always be there. However, to spread the defense out we need LT to play well, and he isn't. What we did today won't work against good defenses.

That's what the announcer kept saying but I didn't understand it. We've been trying to run LT up the middle all year but it's not been effective. It was this game though and there were even 2-3 good RB runs between the tackles.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That's what the announcer kept saying but I didn't understand it. We've been trying to run LT up the middle all year but it's not been effective. It was this game though and there were even 2-3 good RB runs between the tackles.

The difference was outside running. All year long people have stacked the inside, today we got the option and some other outside runs going which forced them to have to come out and play the edges.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The difference was outside running. All year long people have stacked the inside, today we got the option and some other outside runs going which forced them to have to come out and play the edges.

That's what I thought the key to our success was but the announcer kept talking about LT running it