• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 12: Giants @ Redskins

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great job by the oline would not include giving up 6 sacks.

You're arguing that the oline of backups played better than they actually did, yes they did a decent job run blocking in the SECOND half, along with glimmers of pass protection, but the whole first half they were struggling if not getting owned. Crowder had 7 catches for 141 yards, at the half he had 3 catches for 51 yards so again most of that was in the SECOND half. So the oline played great, for half a game.

Btw, Giants also owned us on time of possession at the half, 17:40 to 12:20.

a great job by the oline in the 2nd half and giving Kc time to find Crowder for big plays. Crowder also had a big play in the first half. This game goes beyond the stats. Decent job run blocking? perine had 100 yard basically in the 2nd half I would call that more than decent against a good d line. Gilmer's of pass protection? All of Crowders big plays and the two bombs and Td's pass to Doc was good pass pro.

Bottom line here is that the oline played good and should ave never been called out by Kevin.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, and it made total sense against a team who is 31st in the league against defending the run, so bravo to the coaches for some badly needed halftime adjustments. That is another thing that seems to never get addressed on this board: matchups. Every team we play has different strengths and weaknesses, so of course we need a different strategy from week to week. Run when it makes sense, pass when it makes sense.

So glad that you said it @SNF, Gruden and his staff, get no love from this FB, I've mentioned this several times on differing threads. but of course when Kirk Cousins is the subject the mantra is boost the QB...down play the system.

We are lucky here because both of those things can and are often at play....Kirk's turned out to be a pretty good QB, but he still operates in a system designed and adjusted by Gruden and Co. Thanks for mentioning this!!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive Line (Team)- The makeshift line gave up 6 sacks to a Giant’s team that still ranks bottom-12 in sacks and sack percentage after this game.

Six of the Giants’ seven QB hits came on the dropbacks Cousins was sacked on, which is something you could view in either a positive or negative light.

The O-line fared much better in the running game, as they set the Redskins up for their second straight 100-yard rushing game.

Ty Nsekhe- Nsekhe disappointed in his first start of the year. He was tasked with the difficult assignment of blocking Olivier Vernon, but that does not excuse his poor performance in this game.

He gave up 2 sacks to Vernon, committed 2 holdings penalties and was called for a false start (3 total penalties). Luckily, Nsekhe was able to save a little face, because two of those penalties were declined.

Arie Kouandijo- Kouandijo had not allowed a single pressure on his 57 passing-blocking snaps in 2017 and was particularity impressive in his lone start of the year (at Seattle).

Things didn’t go as well for him against the Giants. Kouandijo allowed a sack to Dalvin Tomlinson inside the Giants’ red zone on a drive the Redskins would have to settle for a field goal. On the offense’s very next drive, he committed a holding penalty and then gave up a sack to Devon Kennard on the very next play.

So, Kouandijo may have cost the team 4 points on one drive and he basically single-handedly stalled another drive. Two sacks and a holding penalty does not make for a good day at the office.

Tony Bergstrom- The Redskins’ third-string center made his first start for the team on Thursday night.

Bergstrom played all 71 snaps and was primarily responsible for giving up a 5-yard sack to Damon “Snacks” Harrison on a play from midfield. The Redskins would end up turning the ball over on downs two plays later.

His 41.3 PFF grade on the year is the fifth lowest rating among the 44 centers who the site has graded this season.

Brandon Scherff- Scherff had another very strong outing this week. He did not allow a sack and was instrumental in the team’s 100-yard rushing day.

When Morgan Moses went out for a few plays, Scherff was the only remaining starter left standing. That is a feeling Moses knows all too well.

Morgan Moses- Moses fought through multiple injuries in the game and only missed 4 snaps.

He gave up a 10-yard sack to JPP on an early fourth quarter third-down play.

Tyler Catalina- Tyler Catalina came in to spell an injured Morgan Moses at right tackle for 4 snaps.

In the past month alone Catalina has made two starts at guard, been waived by the Redskins, been re-signed by the team and played as a backup tackle.

Demetrius Rhaney- Rhaney was one of three active Redskins who did not play in any capacity.

The fourth-year vet was signed two days before the game. He was brought in to be used as an emergency center if Bergstrom suffered an injury.

Rhaney is a 2014 7th-round pick with just 1 start and 123 offensive snaps to his credit. He will almost certainly be let go when Chase Roullier is healthy enough to play again.

Chase Roullier- Per PFF Spencer Long allowed 5 pressures over the course of 223 pass-blocking snaps this season. That is exactly the same number of pressures Chase Roullier has given up in 2017, albeit on 42 less passing plays (181 passing-blocking snaps).

He’s been right there with Long as a run blocker, as well. He’s actually earned a better PFF grade (57.3) than Long has (52.1) in this regard.

Roullier missed the Giants game with a broken hand, but has a shot to return next week against the Cowboys.

Trent Williams- Trent Williams was inactive for the third time this year, which is a personal record for the 5-time Pro Bowler. Williams had never missed more than two games in a season due to injury prior to Thursday

if this is good then your standard is wanting dean

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad that you said it @SNF, Gruden and his staff, get no love from this FB, I've mentioned this several times on differing threads. but of course when Kirk Cousins is the subject the mantra is boost the QB...down play the system.

We are lucky here because both of those things can and are often at play....Kirk's turned out to be a pretty good QB, but he still operates in a system designed and adjusted by Gruden and Co. Thanks for mentioning this!!

Again, not true. I have said and I have seen many others say they like Gruden.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where the perceived Gruden hate comes from. I haven't seen many bad mouthing him except for his play calling at times.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny, how liking a guy doesn't quite translate into giving him credit for installing a productive NFL offensive system. I already know why this is not done, and it's a damned shame.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where the perceived Gruden hate comes from. I haven't seen many bad mouthing him except for his play calling at times.

It's not Gruden hate, it's Kirk love that blinds!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not tied to KC but I think it is silly to believe he is easily replaced.

If KC leaves, I hope he fails when it comes to us. If he stays, I hope he succeeds.

If KC leaves, I hope we find the next Brady/Peyton. If KC stays, I hope he is the next Brady/ Peyton.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not Gruden hate, it's Kirk love that blinds!
Maybe. Maybe not.

I can't imagine that anyone intelligent in the game would say that KC isn't a beneficiary of Gruden's scheme. It is a very good fit and clearly a positive aspect of the success KC has enjoyed. But its not just the scheme as you seem to allude. If it were the scheme and many could just as easily succeed, then why isn't every team running it and why aren't more successful in it? Your professed acceptance of KC is alway couched. Thus some question if it is genuine. Not because of blind homerism for KC but because of the way you "praise" KC. Consequently, its not unreasonable for one to question if you are really OK with KC and if you truly believe he is a "pretty good QB".

In reality, KC has benefited from Gruden, but he still has to execute. Which he has done at a top level since becoming the starter. Moreover, he has continued to improve, even though some here said he would not and that "he is what he is". There is no reason to believe that he still has improvement coming.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not tied to KC but I think it is silly to believe he is easily replaced.

If KC leaves, I hope he fails when it comes to us. If he stays, I hope he succeeds.

If KC leaves, I hope we find the next Brady/Peyton. If KC stays, I hope he is the next Brady/ Peyton.

Just curious, If KC leaves do you believe that this team will field without a QB. Never mind his level of competency...just no QB at all, you know replaced!!

(We all hope that the next guy is at minimum equal to KC, hopefully better.)

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, how liking a guy doesn't quite translate into giving him credit for installing a productive NFL offensive system. I already know why this is not done, and it's a damned shame.

AGAIN who the fuck isn't giving Gruden credit. You keep saying that and I am not seeing anyone saying "Cousin's is succeeding despite his head coach." Are you saying these things to justify your position?

Let me say it AGAIN ... I like Jay Gruden.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, If KC leaves do you believe that this team will field without a QB. Never mind his level of competency...just no QB at all, you know replaced!!

(We all hope that the next guy is at minimum equal to KC, hopefully better.)

Obviously we will have another QB. I fully expect him to suck and the team to suffer.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AGAIN who the fuck isn't giving Gruden credit. You keep saying that and I am not seeing anyone saying "Cousin's is succeeding despite his head coach." Are you saying these things to justify your position?

Let me say it AGAIN ... I like Jay Gruden.

A.G.A.I.N. liking him doesn't translate into giving him credit for Kirk's and the offensive success. Sure it's kinda splitting hairs, but honestly, all you've said thus far is that you "like" Gruden. What the fuck does that mean?

The real problem comes in giving Gruden credit, you made that clear with your Gibbs reference. Why??? .....Kirk Love!!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A.G.A.I.N. liking him doesn't translate into giving him credit for Kirk's and the offensive success. Sure it's kinda splitting hairs, but honestly, all you've said thus far is that you "like" Gruden. What the fuck does that mean?

The real problem comes in giving Gruden credit, you made that clear with your Gibbs reference. Why??? .....Kirk Love!!

Seriously!! That is your answer. I have to give the guy a blow job or you to understand? I am out, I can't argue with a drama queen.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Maybe not.

I can't imagine that anyone intelligent in the game would say that KC isn't a beneficiary of Gruden's scheme. It is a very good fit and clearly a positive aspect of the success KC has enjoyed. But its not just the scheme as you seem to allude. If it were the scheme and many could just as easily succeed, then why isn't every team running it and why aren't more successful in it? Your professed acceptance of KC is alway couched. Thus some question if it is genuine. Not because of blind homerism for KC but because of the way you "praise" KC. Consequently, its not unreasonable for one to question if you are really OK with KC and if you truly believe he is a "pretty good QB".

In reality, KC has benefited from Gruden, but he still has to execute. Which he has done at a top level since becoming the starter. Moreover, he has continued to improve, even though some here said he would not and that "he is what he is". There is no reason to believe that he still has improvement coming.

I can imagine people NOT giving Gruden credit, in fact I really don't have to imagine something that I'm reading, typed by posters here. If it's NOT the scheme as you believe it to be then what is it that fits Kirk so well?

Here's a secret, almost every team employs similar aspects of the same scheme. The real secret is in getting your guys to properly execute in that scheme, variances included.

Please don't attempt to @Dean me, I always write what I mean and mean what I write. NO couching here, take my posts at face value. If you can't and want to read something into them that is NOT there, that's on you! Just to be clear, I don't give a damn about KC one way or the other, I'm just interested in winning, and that's with him or without him. Hope they resign him....but I'm past that time where I'm prepared to move on if he doesn't stay. Just know that, as long as we can get a guy who executes Jay Gruden's system efficiently, we'll be just fine. The Idea that it can't be done without set back is....well.....ridiculous!!

BTW: I hope that my last few lines answers your questions related to whether or not I truly believe that Kirk is a pretty good QB or not. He is.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily replaceable means there is an expectation of a fix. If you replace a weakening battery with a dead battery, is it replaced in the manner you expected?

That's one way to look at it, another is replacing a weakened battery with one that's just as good or better. Those who are saying that it's NOT possible without some sort of setback aren't willing to admit that some else can execute as well as the current guy. That's NOT me, I'll never believe that!!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously!! That is your answer. I have to give the guy a blow job or you to understand? I am out, I can't argue with a drama queen.

Bye... you certainly don't appear to have any problem with Kirk's dick!